StoppingPower.net Forums
Home
Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - striker fired pistol...how safe?
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Be Prepared
 Concealed Carry
 striker fired pistol...how safe?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

belair
Starting Member

47 Posts

Posted - February 25 2011 :  9:55:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm trying to decide on a nice, flat 9mm or .40 s&w for concealed carry perhaps a Kahr K9 or K40. Being a very "visual" person, I like a "hammer" that I can see...thus my affection for S&W J frames and the Beretta PX4 subcompact. Here's the mental hurdle for me: Presuming the hammerless, striker-fired pistol is properly holstered, is it REALLY safe to carry it with the chamber loaded? I see Ruger is soon to release the LC9 equipped with a manual safety which only mildly eases my concern. What input can you provide? Is it really safe to carry all those Glocks, Kahrs, M&Ps, Rugers, etc with a loaded chamber...especially without a manual safety. (Absent your re-assurance I'll stick with the S&W Model 638 j frame). Comments welcomed...thank you.

retfed89
Advanced Member

USA
1442 Posts

Posted - February 25 2011 :  10:11:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Belair, been carrying a Glock, chamber loaded(only way) every day for 10+ years, no problem or worries. I am sure there are many on this forum who have been doing in for longer. If your gun is in good condition and properly maintained should be no problem. Retfed
Go to Top of Page

mojo
Advanced Member

USA
2859 Posts

Posted - February 25 2011 :  10:19:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is no greater chance of my M&P on my right hip going off than there is of my bobbed hammer snub in my left pocket going off. Keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to fire. Manual safeties on modern striker fired pistols are redundant and unnecessary.

Texas and Louisiana Concealed handgun instructor.

NRA Certified Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearm Safety, Personal Protection and Refuse to be a Victim instructor.

NRA Endowment member.

Disabled U. S. Army Veteran 1St Cav and 82nd Airborne 1967-1970.
Go to Top of Page

Biggfoot44
Advanced Member

2168 Posts

Posted - February 26 2011 :  12:43:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not that there's anything wrong with your current 638, but a modern, service grade striker fired pistol is as reasonably safe to carry chamber loaded as any pistol.

For those , such as Glock, with out manual saftey, and relativly moderate trigger would benefit from being carried in holster w/ covered trigger gaurd , rather than loose in pocket or waistband. But that would be recomended for most pistols anyway.
Go to Top of Page

whiskeymike
Average Member

USA
268 Posts

Posted - February 26 2011 :  07:01:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One thing to remember about the Glock ( and, I assume, some of the others) is that the striker is only partially cocked when carried.It takes the trigger stroke to fully cock the striker prior to release.
Glocks have been tested ad nauseum to demonstrate how safe they are in terms of dropping, etc.
Just don't touch the trigger until ready to fire!
I occasionally pocket carry a G-26 in a custom made holster; no way to touch one of these without a proper trigger-covering holster, as mentioned above.

whiskeymike
Kennesaw, GA.
NRA Life Member
Go to Top of Page

belair
Starting Member

47 Posts

Posted - February 26 2011 :  08:09:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well agreed that I would never have a striker-fired (or any othe firearm for that matter) on me unless it was holstered with the trigger covered. I just had this nagging "ick" factor about piercinf my femural atrtery or something nearer/dearer to my, uhm, male "tools". Thanks for input...having answered that concern please recommend something in a 9mm or .40 that is flat. Single stack magazine is preferred and I lean a bit toward the "all metal" pieces but that's not critical. The most important requirements are flat, safety and reliability (must cycle flawlessly). I tend to use FMJ ammo to help the reliability issue. Also, while I'm not wealthy, given the importance of the CCW that alone tells me to pay what it is needed to get the right tool. (i.e like a Kahr k9 or k40). Or should I wait for Ruger to get the LC9 out there?..just a bit concerned about Ruger having to work the bugs out of it...I remember the LCP too well. Recommendations requested on pieces with safety, flat and reliable as the key goals.
Go to Top of Page

jle3030
Advanced Member

USA
4000 Posts

Posted - February 26 2011 :  08:29:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As Dr. Glenn Meyer (PhD Psychology) opined on the old Tactics List: "It all depends on which failure mode you fear most".

Forgetting to decock a DA/SA autoloader? Forgetting to reapply or inadvertently brushing off the safety on a SA auto? A slip while decocking a revolver? Finger on the trigger when it shouldn't be? Failure to check chamber empty upon unloading? Finger or fabric inside the trigger guard when reholstering? Shooter panic under stress?

Any gun can "go off" if "mishandled" - read: pulling the trigger when you shouldn't. Arguably, DAO revolvers and autoloaders offer an extra margin for error, given their longer, heavier trigger actions. Beyond that, any gun is as inherently safe or as dangerous as the person handling it.

Jeff

jle3030
Go to Top of Page

belair
Starting Member

47 Posts

Posted - February 26 2011 :  08:43:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well stated everyone..."GW" I fully agree with your comment about not using a massive laundry list of pieces interchangeably. Find the right one, train well, holster it and be confident. I'd like to get a holstered, pocket-carry 9mm or .40 cal. Suggestions are welcomed on brand and model.....
Go to Top of Page

Arvinator
Advanced Member

USA
4504 Posts

Posted - February 26 2011 :  08:54:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have had good luck with the Glock 26 in a pocket holster,it worked fine and never had a bobbloe or hiccup. It was just a little bulky and heavier than my J frame(s) snubbie I now carry. I now have a dept. issue Glock 27 in .40 Caliber I carry in a ankle holster when I carry it. Most pistols I wear on my belt...

Be honest, fair, and always prepared...
Go to Top of Page

mojo
Advanced Member

USA
2859 Posts

Posted - February 26 2011 :  09:44:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For pocket carry I like an alloy frame snubby. The LC9 shows promise but, I'll wait a year or so before looking for one. The Kimber Solo has problems right now. Several friends have Keltec PF9s and have had good luck with them. The Taurus 709 Slim seems to have problems. I'd look at a Kahar or the Keltec at this time. If a double stack is not out of the question look at the M&Pc.

Texas and Louisiana Concealed handgun instructor.

NRA Certified Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearm Safety, Personal Protection and Refuse to be a Victim instructor.

NRA Endowment member.

Disabled U. S. Army Veteran 1St Cav and 82nd Airborne 1967-1970.
Go to Top of Page

JohnS
Advanced Member

USA
1791 Posts

Posted - February 26 2011 :  11:10:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd look at the Kahr K9 if you want an all metal gun. Forget the FMJ's. Any modern semiauto is made to function with JHP's. From your writings, it seems like you may have been away from guns for awhile due to your aversion to polymer, JHP's and striker fired guns. Do some research and see how much things have changed in the last twenty years.
Go to Top of Page

belair
Starting Member

47 Posts

Posted - February 26 2011 :  11:34:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I find the polymer guns top-heavy in my hand....I appreciate the overall weight reduction so I'm evolving a bit. I live in NY State so getting a CC permit was a long wait and magazine capacity is limited to 10 here...so I contend that I should buy a small gun that can hold 10 or less rather than get a 15,17,19 capacity piece and then have it dumbed down to the 10 round maximum allowed by NY law. Good heavens..when my daugther graduates high school I can move to a "red" state that voted for McCain.
Go to Top of Page

rev.

727 Posts

Posted - February 26 2011 :  1:23:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What has yet to be mentioned is that many pistols now have a firing pin block that prevents the firing pin from moving forward unless the trigger lifts it out of the way, and that only happens when the trigger is fully pulled. Of course you have to know what pistols have this feature. The Kahr PM9 does.
rev.
Go to Top of Page

JohnS
Advanced Member

USA
1791 Posts

Posted - February 26 2011 :  3:07:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Polymer pistols are only topheavy when they are empty. They balance nicely when loaded.
Go to Top of Page

Dov
Advanced Member

USA
1896 Posts

Posted - February 26 2011 :  6:40:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been pocket carrying a Glock 26 every day, except when going in for surgery or such, for 5 years or so. Use Kramer pocket holster with no problems. Used a Mika pocket holster for a while, those are very fast for pocket holster but I think the Mika design is a better choice for a revolver than pistol.

For open carry, I would probably prefer a manual safety + Serpa.
Go to Top of Page

Charles Ellis

USA
177 Posts

Posted - February 26 2011 :  8:51:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kel-Tec P11 is a double stack 9mm that has a 10 round mag.It is only slightly thicker than a single stack gun and has a higher mag capacity.I had one several years ago and found it reasonably accurate and very dependable.It is worth a look.

C.Ellis
Go to Top of Page

JohnS
Advanced Member

USA
1791 Posts

Posted - February 26 2011 :  10:55:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Charles Ellis

Kel-Tec P11 is a double stack 9mm that has a 10 round mag.It is only slightly thicker than a single stack gun and has a higher mag capacity.I had one several years ago and found it reasonably accurate and very dependable.It is worth a look.

So you're the one who got the reliable one! We've had so many problems with the few we sold that the owner quit selling them (and that's saying alot). The PF9's seem to be just fine.
Go to Top of Page

Charles Ellis

USA
177 Posts

Posted - February 27 2011 :  2:41:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
JohnS,I actually had more trouble with the Kahr P9 that I traded it in on.

C.Ellis
Go to Top of Page

Dov
Advanced Member

USA
1896 Posts

Posted - February 27 2011 :  5:52:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a P11, it was reliable, but the trigger was horrible. I like the G26 a lot more, I can shoot the G26 almost as well as fullsize pistol. With the P11 because of the trigger getting any accuracy at speed was lost cause because of the trigger.

Don't get me wrong the gun was accurate enough for a pocket sized gun. but day after doing heavy deadlifts (no hooks), I could only shoot about two mags before trigger finger gave out. Don't have that problem with any of my revolvers.
Go to Top of Page

Muleskinner

USA
818 Posts

Posted - February 28 2011 :  01:20:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have both - the P-11 and the PF-9. The P-11s I have are accurate and reliable, but I agree that the trigger is pretty heavy. The P-11 used to be my daily carry until I got a G-26. Biggest reason for carrying the G-26 is the trigger. Double taps with the G-26 are much quicker than with the P-11.

I picked up a PF-9 a while back. I haven't had much experience with it, but the trigger is a big improvement over the P-11. When I have put enough rounds down the tube to be sure of the reliability factor, it could become one of my daily carries due to its small size and light weight.

Each of us is an innkeeper, and we decide if there is room for Jesus..... Neal A. Maxwell
Go to Top of Page

gymrat
Starting Member

USA
43 Posts

Posted - April 19 2011 :  11:41:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ive been carrying a Glock in one form or another since the mid 80's. Still have my original 17 with countless thousands through it. One thing is for certain, none of my Glocks go boom unless I pull the trigger. Hope that helps :) Oh and that SRC9 from Ruger is sure flat and has a butter smooth trigger. Please also consider shooting a few modern striker fired guns, I think you will find you wont need to carry FMJ. In the 20++ years of shooting enough ammo through Glocks to fund my retirement never had one hicup. No FTF's or FTE's.

11 bravo then 18 bravo!

Edited by - gymrat on April 19 2011 11:49:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

Badge
Advanced Member

USA
1316 Posts

Posted - April 20 2011 :  11:13:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your mind is the safety,.... keep that finger off the trigger and the weapon is safe.

MSS
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-09 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.2seconds. Snitz Forums 2000