StoppingPower.net Forums
Home
Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - corbon powerball vs glasser?
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Stopping Power
 Stopping Power
 corbon powerball vs glasser?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

LittleBill
Advanced Member

1781 Posts

Posted - February 28 2011 :  12:39:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NE450No2

The original intent of the Glaser Safety Slug, was to allow a person to shoot a badguy in a crowd, such as a bank, store, plane, etc, and not have a pass through endangering good people, yet still have serious effect on the "shootee".

Also if you missed, when the Safety Slug hot a wall, pipe, the ground, etc, it would break up and have less danger down range.

Years ago I observed a negligent discharge with a 9mm Glaser Safety Slug (from a H&K P7 whose operator wasn't familiar with it). Happened in a basement, four people standing around the shooter examining the gun.

Fortunately the gun was pointed in a safe direction. The Glaser slug hit a steel support column and fragmented as it was supposed to: no ricochet, just a spray of tiny pieces. The steel column had a concave dimple in it about 1/2" deep and 2" in diameter.

Chances are, with a FMJ or HP things might have turned out very different.

"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at its testing point."
C.S. Lewis

Slow Is Smooth, Smooth Is Fast
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Advanced Member

USA
3256 Posts

Posted - March 01 2011 :  4:10:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have personally seen/witnessed the effectiveness of the original "eraser-style" Glaser loading in 357 magnum,in the late 1970s'. I am confident in their design and effectiveness if I am carrying them for close contact situations in any caliber.

"The measure of a man's character, is how he treats someone who can do nothing for him." (unknown)
Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

32693 Posts

Posted - March 01 2011 :  4:16:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
talking to Mike Shoval of Cor Bon, they sell large amts of Glaser overseas.

we tested it at the last Hoot&Shoot and at contactdistances-muzzle against the gelatin block-the results were extremenly impressive. If I go back to carrying a .38 snub as a hideout gun it will be loaded with Glasers.

Again the purpose of a hidout-not a second gun-it to shoot people off you.

"The greatest thing a Father can do for his children is to love their Mother."

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

WR Moore

USA
624 Posts

Posted - March 03 2011 :  10:57:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Scout, the gist of it was in my post. I put a fingernail polish mark on the front sight of the 3" j-frame I used to act as a reference to correct point of impact. IIRC, it was off something like 4-6 inches in elevation at 7 yards. The repeated lack of penetration was the major issue, especially with head shots and if there was any barrier involved. The bullet breaking up on a tooth of an attacking, possibly rabid, large dog was the last straw.

Several years later, the issue was an attacking Rotty. 115gr Cor-Bon +P was much more effective.
Go to Top of Page

Ten Driver
Advanced Member

1190 Posts

Posted - March 07 2011 :  3:22:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,

I just came across the CorBon "YouTube" page which has some short videos on their products.

There is an excellent video titled "CORBON President Peter Pi and Mike Shovel talk and explain four lines of CORBON ammunition" which does exactly as it says. The gents discuss Glaser, PowRBall, conventional JHP, and DPX and describe the differences and characteristics. It's a great place to start to answer your original question. Lots of good images.

You can find it by searching for "Dakotaammo" on YouTube, or follow the link on the CorBon website (loacted on the "press releases" page).

It's worth checking out.

V/R
Mike
Go to Top of Page

CaseyinAlaska
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - March 22 2011 :  7:47:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I load the "house guns" with Safety Slugs. Trying to get some Hornady Critical Defense loads for outside the house. I may switch to those in my .44 special.
My carry load is still a 230 grain hydra-Shok in my .45 auto though. Just can't give up the "standard load" in a .45 auto. It's just a matter of which 230 gr load to shoot for me.

Casey in Alaska
Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

1781 Posts

Posted - March 24 2011 :  2:58:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ten Driver

Hello,

I just came across the CorBon "YouTube" page which has some short videos on their products.

There is an excellent video titled "CORBON President Peter Pi and Mike Shovel talk and explain four lines of CORBON ammunition" which does exactly as it says. The gents discuss Glaser, PowRBall, conventional JHP, and DPX and describe the differences and characteristics. It's a great place to start to answer your original question. Lots of good images.

You can find it by searching for "Dakotaammo" on YouTube, or follow the link on the CorBon website (loacted on the "press releases" page).

It's worth checking out.

V/R
Mike

+ 1
Good video.

I hadn't realized that in addition to feeding well in finicky autopistols, Powerball penetrates slightly more than Corbon's 'traditional' JHP; though not as much as DPX. So the 'penetration continuum' (from least to most) is Glaser > JHP > Powerball > DPX.

Peter Pi's comments about DPX also affirm Evan's high opinion of it, as the current state-of-the art, does-all-things-well round: which both penetrates and expands.

"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at its testing point."
C.S. Lewis

Slow Is Smooth, Smooth Is Fast
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-09 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.17seconds. Snitz Forums 2000