Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Back to Basics
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Real World
 Cop Corner
 Back to Basics
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Evan
Administrator

34114 Posts

Posted - January 25 2011 :  10:50:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I recently was aked to talk about security in Church with our regional leaders.

There are many definitions of "Occum's Razor", but the one I like is that all things being equal, the simplest solution is the correct one.

Simply put-Do you dry fire DAILY? Do you shoot your primary weapon and 2nd gun at least once a month and then clean them thoroughly after shooting? Have you taken the barel out of your pistol and used it as a GO/NO gauge to make sure the ammo you're carrying will fit in the chamber come show time.

If you're carrying dept issue shotgun's or rifles that's locked in a gun rack or trunk when taking over the Unit do you bother to check and see if it's fully or appropritely loaded? Have you gone to the expense or buying additional rounds and magazines in case Godzilla show up in the hood?

Do you wear body armor regardless of how hot it is? Working the Tac Unit one day when it was 104 degrees-we did not have air conditoning and the three of us had Second Chance vests on-we were continually hydrating ourselves, Another Tac Unit copper who "always" his vest didn't that day and got shot four times on a traffic stop.

Do you have two flashlights with you with at least one carred on your duty belt on all 3 shifts? Do you know how to "manage your light"?

If you have an impact or Taser or spray have you praticed removing it quickly? I was told if they are using bare hands I was to use my baton. If they had an impact weapon I was go to the psitol and if they had a pistol is was time for Mr 870.

Ok, you got a super dooper security holster-do you practice at least 10 draws a day with it? If it takes you 3 seconds to get the gun out anybody within a 30ft radius can be on top you before you get it out.

Your 2nd gun may become more valuable than a winning lottery ticket. Do you pay attention to it? 3 times in 20yrs it made it possible to go home. Do you practice drawing it from its place of concealment. I was in the morgue when they brought in a copper who was a friend of mine. As they removed his clothing to start the autopsey, they found a loaded J frame in an ankle holster. He died while trying to reload his Smith Model 19.

Nothing is routine-ever. The worst fight I go into was a run given to us, "Miscellanous accident-a car can handle it." Before it was over I had killed a german shepard and beat his owner right into intensive care.

Do I miss being a cop-no, I did it when it was right for me and left when it was right for me. But every time a copper goes down a piece is torn out of my heart. I never thought I'd hsve a job where I buried friends.

LISTEN TO YOUR GUT-I heard some one say that those gut feelings are nothing more than God speaking directly to you.

I can testify that he does love us and not only listens but whispers in a still, small voice,

"The greatest thing a Father can do for his children is to love their Mother."

Harold B. Lee

LittleBill
Advanced Member

4363 Posts

Posted - January 25 2011 :  11:20:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I believe God has a special place in His heart for the men (and women) who go out into harm's way each day to keep the world safe for the rest of us. God bless you Evan for doing all you can to keep them safe.

"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at its testing point"--- C.S. Lewis

"There are some ideas so foolish that only an intellectual could believe them"--- George Orwell

Slow Is Smooth, Smooth Is Fast
Go to Top of Page

GLK
Starting Member

49 Posts

Posted - January 25 2011 :  11:25:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WOO HOO!!!!!

Print, copy, and paste on your bathroom mirror at home and on the door of your locker at work.

That's a life saver!

Thank you Evan!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

34114 Posts

Posted - January 25 2011 :  1:37:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your welcome. Too many people confuse technology with tactics.

Over the decades we found that mediorce shots who use superb tactics survive while superb shots who us mediorce tactics will die.

That's no excuse not to improve your skills but tactics are king.

"The greatest thing a Father can do for his children is to love their Mother."

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

Nanuk

USA
813 Posts

Posted - January 25 2011 :  6:54:37 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Nanuk's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
AMEN

"May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't." Gen. George Patton
Go to Top of Page

BobK
Advanced Member

USA
1983 Posts

Posted - January 25 2011 :  9:10:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Evan, the LDS church here locally is also discussing security. I just finshed installing digital locks on several Stake Centers because doors were being left unlocked.

"Someone" got into one of the Stake Centers and had a nice party in the gym. Really trashed it. Some people I tell ya.

The caliber of the man counts more than the caliber of his gun.
Go to Top of Page

Bill D
Advanced Member

USA
1137 Posts

Posted - January 26 2011 :  12:50:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the reminders to a non leo about the practice of dry firing daily. Bill

Bill D
Go to Top of Page

wolfgang2000
Advanced Member

USA
3742 Posts

Posted - January 26 2011 :  10:56:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the great post Evan. Like you I still bleed Blue.

“The key is to hit them hard, hit them fast, and hit them repeatedly. The one shot stop is a unit of measurement not a tactical philosophy.” Evan Marshall
Go to Top of Page

Arvinator
Advanced Member

USA
5252 Posts

Posted - December 17 2012 :  12:16:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gotta bump this up to date for reminder. The devil is working overtime and we can't let him win.

I have a bail out bag, but looking at getting a Maxpedition bag (soon) to sling over my shoulder. Will have alot of the same stuff in my bail out bag, just more of it and easier to grab & go.

Be honest, fair, and always prepared...
Go to Top of Page

wolfgang2000
Advanced Member

USA
3742 Posts

Posted - December 17 2012 :  2:36:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As usual a very good post at the proper time. If my account is correct were lost 4 brothers and sister this weekend alone, and that doesn't count the evil shooting in Conn.

Evil is growing as fast as we kick God out of our society and lives. I pray that every one here has the spiritual armor as well as the physical.

“The key is to hit them hard, hit them fast, and hit them repeatedly. The one shot stop is a unit of measurement not a tactical philosophy.” Evan Marshall
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.17seconds. Snitz Forums 2000