Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - .22 mag vs. .32 auto for backup
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Stopping Power
 Stopping Power
 .22 mag vs. .32 auto for backup
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

incubus
Starting Member

25 Posts

Posted - July 26 2002 :  03:25:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have started reading your forums a bit and like what I see. I was discussing backup/hideout guns with a friend the other day, and told him I intended to pick up either a Beretta Tomcat .32 or a Kel-Tec P32. He tried to convince me that a NAA .22 mag mini revolver would be a better choice, as the .22 mag is a better man stopper. I'm not sure if I like the revolver type thing as a backup/hideout, but if the round is better it might be justified. More than likely this will only be carried with one of my bigger 9's, not as a primary weapon... use would be self defense.

Evan Marshall

USA
884 Posts

Posted - July 26 2002 :  11:50:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know who told you .22 mag is better stopper-I haven't seen any shootings out of snub revolvers. My smallest carry gun is a Kel Tec P32 loaded with Cor Bon and its a 3rd gun only.

Evan

"No intelligent man or woman should ever take a pistol to a gunfight with any degree of enthusiasm."
Go to Top of Page

Steve
Starting Member

USA
15 Posts

Posted - July 26 2002 :  8:48:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have both the Beretta 3032 & the Kel-Tec P-32. Recommend a LOT of practice on both before I'd rely on either. Each seems (or at least, mine do!) to be finicky on which ammo feeds/ejects reliably. These are problems that time/money/practice will resolve, but the place to find/solve these problems is the range, not the street or home!

Have a NAA 22lr which is great to have around when walking on the property (live in a wooded area, Central FL) when filled with a couple shot rounds as a snake killer. Otherwise.....

The NAA 22-mag has a tremendous flash and is probably useful at distances of 12-36 inches. At night it puts on a helluva pyrotechnic show!

...Steve

"When the attack is going better than expected - it's an ambush!"
Go to Top of Page

Biggfoot44
Advanced Member

2233 Posts

Posted - July 27 2002 :  12:14:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While I am outspoken In my favor of full size(4",longer).22WMR revolvers within certian paramaters, mI would recoment either of those autos over a mini revolver unless your need for concealment is extreme,calling for very "unconventional"carry means.

Go to Top of Page

91 Posts

Posted - July 27 2002 :  02:52:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In absolutely no way is the mini-revolver the better manstopper.

Examine this cold, hard, reality: Someone confronts you with a firearm, and makes a demand. You have your hand in your pocket, already on your pocket gun that you are legally carrying for self-defense. So, rather than put your life in the hands of this stranger, you choose to draw and fire.

After the first shot, if you are shooting either a .22 Mag, or .32 ACP, then the next event will likely be that you will be shot back at, since neither caliber is going to knock this attacker over. As he returns fire, you can 1)continue shooting to lock-back with the .32 auto, or 2)start taking hits while you are thumbing back the hammer on a single-action revolver!

Your friend's choice is a single action, 5 (or is it 4?) shot mini revolver, that has to be manually cocked before each shot is fired?

The Kel-Tek is made to be carried chambered, and ready to go, 7+1 shots on demand.

And a .32 is making a much larger wound channel than a .22 Mag. Is there such a thing as a Hydra-shok .22 Mag??? Better bullets, better expansion with the .32.

While I agree both the mini-revolver and the .32 auto are guns that should primarily be back-up weapons, I consider the NAA mini-revolver inferior to both the NAA Guardian and the Kel-Tek for close range self defense.

Edited by - 007 on 07/27/2002 03:04:06 AM
Go to Top of Page

LEO45ACP
Advanced Member

USA
1763 Posts

Posted - July 27 2002 :  3:20:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They all beat praying. But why would anyone have a carry gun less then 9mm/.38 ?................L

"Theres no substitute for a cool head"
Go to Top of Page

sgt.207

USA
115 Posts

Posted - July 28 2002 :  12:32:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would only use the NAA mini revolver as onion field protection ONLY.

Go to Top of Page

walt farr
Advanced Member

2552 Posts

Posted - July 28 2002 :  5:46:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a Seecamp 32 complete with pocket holster. I also have several other guns not a whole lot bigger that are decidedly more powerful. The Kahr PM9 is probably smaller than the Beretta 32 and would be a better choice.

Go to Top of Page

packratjim

USA
818 Posts

Posted - July 28 2002 :  6:25:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Last year Santa brought me the NAA .22/.22 Mag "Black Widow" model, with slightly longer bbl, enlarged grips, and adjustable rear sight. I was immediately surprised by how easy it was to disassemble: just pointed the muzzle at the ground, the cylinder pin fell out by gravity, and the cylinder fell to the floor and rolled away! In all fairness, after I sent it back, NAA fixed and returned it within a week, and it holds together now. Actually, it's a lot of fun to shoot, and with CCI .22 mag, it puts them in the black at 21 feet.
Even though it's one of the larger models, it still fits in a shirt pocket.
But a defensive gun......nope. Not when there are so many serious caliber, very concealable handguns around. It's little more than a toy, and I wouldn't depend on it except as a last resort.

Jim
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9868 Posts

Posted - July 29 2002 :  6:57:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are a few State Troopers around here that secret one of those NAAs in .22LR or .22 Mag as a 3rd gun (they are issued a Glock 27 as a backup).

Personally, I always wonder if they do any practice with it. Better than nothing I suppose but even when I carry 4 guns (which isn't too often) the 4th is a .38,.357 or 9mm J-frame revolver.

I am looking at a nifty Walther Model 9 in 6.35(wich is smaller than a Baby Browning) but more as a pocket watch fob than a gun - well it is cute

Carry on,
Jim H.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.15seconds. Snitz Forums 2000