Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - .357 sig vs 40 S&W
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Stopping Power
 Stopping Power
 .357 sig vs 40 S&W
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

necron99
Average Member

USA
357 Posts

Posted - February 03 2003 :  10:21:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know alot about the .357 sig, but more specifically, vs the .40 S&W. How do the two cartriges compare? Where is a good place to find info on muzzle energy or velocity of the .357 sig in various manufactures? Is one (.357 vs .40) better than the other? Is one preffereable in full sized pistols or in compacts/sub-compacts? What about the future of either cartridge? All info is appreciated.

Then said he unto them, "But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."

LUKE 22:36

RTAB1
Advanced Member

USA
1179 Posts

Posted - February 03 2003 :  10:26:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Evan's third book addresses the .357 in detail.
Go to Top of Page

91 Posts

Posted - February 04 2003 :  04:14:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I own a Glock 23 and a Glock 32, but the 23 is now in storage, and the 32 is on the nightstand.

Reason for my decision is thus; they both hold 13, and they both have fairly, if not almost exactly even stopping power. But, the .357 Sig will probably penetrate obstacles better, probably drop less at longer distances, and probably feed more reliably due to the bottle-neck shape of the cartridge.

So I feel better with it.

Go to Top of Page

355sigfan
Average Member

USA
266 Posts

Posted - February 04 2003 :  08:34:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Stopping power wise I would say the 2 are a wash if the best loads are chosen in each. I like the 357 sig more because of the accuracy and better barrier penetration.
PAT

Firearms instructor
Urban Rifle instructor
Glock Armorer
Colt AR15/M16 Armorer
Go to Top of Page

Strange
Starting Member

21 Posts

Posted - February 04 2003 :  11:16:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Everyone always comments on the 357SIG's reliability due to the bottleneck case. I will occasionaly get a 125g Gold Dot hanging up on the feedramp of my scrupulously clean Glock 33. Reliability is good, not perfect. Whereas with more than 5,000 rounds fired of various brands and bullet styles I have NEVER had a failure to feed with either of my Glock 19's and only 3 failures to fire (all three with reloads).
Go to Top of Page

Terry

USA
5481 Posts

Posted - February 04 2003 :  11:58:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm still working a bit with the 357 barrel in my G23. So far I think I'll stay with the .40.

The effectiveness of the two rounds seems similar and I seem to shoot the .40 better.

Now I need to get myself a timer.

"Simplicity is the last step of art, and the beginning of nature" Bruce Lee
von hier an blind
Go to Top of Page

355sigfan
Average Member

USA
266 Posts

Posted - February 05 2003 :  03:05:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Honesty requires that I admit that the 9mm feeds better in the mini glocks than either the 40 or 357 sig. I have had some problems like yours with my 33. It has forced me back to carrying my Sig 239 in 357 sig. I will try some stronger mag springs or get a 26 and load it with rangers. My 31 and full size sigs have been great however. My old 27 had the same problem as my 33 but it was worse.
PAT

Firearms instructor
Urban Rifle instructor
Glock Armorer
Colt AR15/M16 Armorer
Go to Top of Page

RTAB1
Advanced Member

USA
1179 Posts

Posted - February 05 2003 :  08:21:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Try the Wolff's +10% springs.
Go to Top of Page

355sigfan
Average Member

USA
266 Posts

Posted - February 06 2003 :  11:42:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would but non oem parts are not allowed for guns carried on duty.
PAT

Firearms instructor
Urban Rifle instructor
Glock Armorer
Colt AR15/M16 Armorer
Go to Top of Page

RTAB1
Advanced Member

USA
1179 Posts

Posted - February 06 2003 :  11:58:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's a shame as I am hearing of more and more mag spring problems in the baby Glocks. I was floored when I discovered the problem in my own gun. Perhaps I haven't owned and shot enough guns, but this was the first time I pulled a trigger and the gun didn't fire. You may want to put the research together for your range officer on this issue, or at least change out your spring with oem ones on a regular basis.
Go to Top of Page

Pitbull

1978 Posts

Posted - February 07 2003 :  12:04:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carry a .40 cal. in a Sig P229 and have put a lot of rounds through it and like it alot. Another firearms instructor and I fired the .357 Sig load in the same gun with a barrel change.

Our perception of the .357 Sig load was slightly less felt recoil than the .40 cal. and it was a real accurate and flat shooting round.
Used same brand of factory ammo in each respective caliber. Different bullet weights of course with the .357 Sig shooting a lighter faster bullet.
Go to Top of Page

mikeo

72 Posts

Posted - February 07 2003 :  12:15:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have tried the 357 in Glocks, SIGs, XDs and USP compacts. Nifty terminal ballistics and stopping reputation w the 357, but I like shooting the 40 better. The 155/165 have the better figures/rep in 40, but again, I like shooting the 180s better... works for me.

DVC

Edited by - mikeo on February 08 2003 12:46:28 PM
Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

32538 Posts

Posted - February 07 2003 :  12:55:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
had a 239 SIG-nice gun-traded it and now have a .357 SIG Barrel for my EAA Witness-E4E tells me spring is right around the corner-I'll be able to tell when the Caribou around here take their snow shoes off-anyway we're gonna go shoot on our range next week it if the ramping up to orange 1/2hr ago doesn't mess things up.

"The greatest thing a Father can do for his children is to love their Mother."

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

CXM

USA
670 Posts

Posted - February 08 2003 :  4:09:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The S&W 4006 seems to work VERY well indeed when fitted with a .357SIG barrel. So far accuracy is outstanding, though in part that may be the barrel. Reliabilty has been 100% as well.

FWIW

Chuck

Hoist on High the Bonny Blue Flag That Bears the Single Star!
Go to Top of Page

Kevin
Advanced Member

USA
1680 Posts

Posted - February 08 2003 :  6:51:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a pair of Steyr M-series pistols, one in 40 and one in 357. Both were 100% reliable. The 40 shot acceptably well - 3-5" off hand at 25 yards. The 357 shot into half that on paper, and nearly 100" on 6" falling plates on moving stages out to 25 yards. The 357 recoiled softer but barked louder. Either would do for a defensive pistol, but I liked the 357 better, even though it was a pain in the butt to get reloading components and dies at first.

I for one think that anything that can rival the ballistics of the "king of the hilll" (125 grain .357 Magnum) has got to be a great choice for defensive work. The DPS guys I work with, and the Secret Service guys, all love theirs. While I think lots of their opinion is based on hearsay, they claim the round "strikes like a lightning bolt," like the old .357 Magnum. Having said that, the effectiveness of the 40 S&W in its best incarnations is just as effective as the original 357 - so I don't think you can go wrong either way. 40 S&W is more widely available (while the 357 Sig isn't going to fade away - not with its wide adoption by law enforcement agencies, it's not as widely popular as the 40). It comes down to what shoots best in the platform you prefer for a defensive pistol.

Regards,

Kevin

"Fast is fine, accuracy is final..."
Go to Top of Page

TxSkyCop
Advanced Member

USA
1657 Posts

Posted - February 09 2003 :  5:06:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have fired both and like the .40 better. Course part of that may be the larger bullet syndrome.

"No man is above the law and no man is below it, nor do we ask any man's permission when we require him to obey it. Obedience to the law is demanded as a right, not asked as a favor." Theodore Roosevelt, Dec 7, 1903
Go to Top of Page

355sigfan
Average Member

USA
266 Posts

Posted - February 10 2003 :  04:46:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am one of the Firearms Instructors and its not up to me its the chief and the big word is liability.
PAT

Firearms instructor
Urban Rifle instructor
Glock Armorer
Colt AR15/M16 Armorer
Go to Top of Page

Mr.T

726 Posts

Posted - February 15 2003 :  3:30:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tactical penetration depends a great deal upon bullet design. Everything else being equal, most .357 SIG loads will penetrate a little more than most .40's but the practical difference is very small. Both the .40 and the .357 have been reported to have case rupture problems and the .357 also has problems with the case neck telescoping on feeding. The ammo companies have worked on these, but the basic case design and pressure curves of the 9mm. and the .45 make them less prone to case failures. So...ya' pays your money and takes your choice. If I were to choose between the .40 and .357 SIG, I'd go with the .40, since it's been around longer, and has had more time in the field for the factories to work the bugs out.
Go to Top of Page

blinter

USA
850 Posts

Posted - February 15 2003 :  6:13:34 PM  Show Profile  Send blinter a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Got Baby Eagles in 9mm and 40 S&W. Looking for a .357 barrel to test.

The mag springs look like the issue for my pistols' reliablity issues.

The rounds nose dive in the mags if I use the heaviest bullet loadings, 135Gr Hyda-Shock HP in the 9mm especially. Time for Wolff's 10% springs!

Maybe I need to trade in the two for Glocks or H-Ks.

NAW!

Thanks,

Blinter.

The Modern Civilized man can digress to the lowest level of Barbarism as needed and return to being a civilized man...

...the Barbarian cannot make the same claim!
Go to Top of Page

Deaf Smith

USA
68 Posts

Posted - February 17 2003 :  9:11:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I own Glocks in .40 and 9mm. Never have even shot a .357 Sig, but really, I would feel comfortable with either the Glock in .40 or in .357. Actually, I carry my Glock 19 in all but light windbreaker days, then I carry the Glock 26. They are all fine guns and fine cartridges.

Deaf

"Rome did not create a GREAT EMPIRE by meetings. They created a GREAT EMPIRE by killing all those opposed to them!"
Go to Top of Page

PaulWA
Starting Member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - October 24 2010 :  4:44:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Been wanting a G33 for a long time, but again,the problem seems to be in finding ammo for it, either practice or for carry, here in WA state. That said, anyone have any input on the reliability of this pistol?
Go to Top of Page

Badge
Advanced Member

USA
1316 Posts

Posted - October 24 2010 :  9:38:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For what it's worth I shot both rounds. The .40 in a Browning HP and didn't care for it as it recoiled just a tad too much for my taste. I fired the .357 Sig in a Glock 32 and found it very controlable, accurate, and loud. Mine has been 100% reliable. So was the .40 but I like the Glock platform and the .357 Sig cartridge.

MSS
Go to Top of Page

Deputy25

USA
814 Posts

Posted - October 30 2010 :  5:06:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PaulWA

Been wanting a G33 for a long time, but again,the problem seems to be in finding ammo for it, either practice or for carry, here in WA state. That said, anyone have any input on the reliability of this pistol?

We are authorized to carry either a Glock 32 or 33 as back-up to our issue Glock 31. Most of the troops choose the 33. They have been extremely reliable. We fire a lot of rounds in training and qualification, and our armorers go over every pistol twice per year. Our issue ammo is Speer Gold Dot 125, training ammo is Winchester Ranger T 125.

It doesn't matter how big a ranch you own, or how many cows you brand, the size of your funeral depends pretty much on the weather-- Harry Truman
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-09 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.09seconds. Snitz Forums 2000