Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - .38 special or .327 federal magnum
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Stopping Power
 Stopping Power
 .38 special or .327 federal magnum
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

autochet
Average Member

397 Posts

Posted - May 27 2010 :  4:18:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In a short barreled revolver (2.5 inches), what would be the preference: 5 rounds of .38 special +p (158 grain lead hollowpoint) or 6 rounds of .327 federal magnum (good jhp load)?

mojo
Advanced Member

USA
2844 Posts

Posted - May 27 2010 :  5:11:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I lean toward the .38 Special based on past history.

Texas and Louisiana Concealed handgun instructor.

NRA Certified Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearm Safety, Personal Protection and Refuse to be a Victim instructor.

NRA Endowment member.

Disabled U. S. Army Veteran 1967-1970.
Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

32494 Posts

Posted - May 27 2010 :  7:18:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We're always being "gifted" with the newest, hotest, sexiest caliber, but I always ask the question can I buy ammo at Walmart for it?

FYI, I carry Cor Bon DPX in my .38 snub and every other caliber they make it for that I own.

"The greatest thing a Father can do for his children is to love their Mother."

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

Arvinator
Advanced Member

USA
4474 Posts

Posted - May 27 2010 :  10:51:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I totally agree with Evan's remarks! I waited until 1995 to get my first .40 caliber handgun, and I have no plans to go buy the .357 Sig or .45GAP caliber handguns.
I buy 100 rd boxes of Remington .38+P jhp's for supply, and have assorted .38 rounds including Nyclads for my snubbies I currently carry.
The odd or new fancy calibers are for the TV shows, I urge everyone to be practical...

Be honest, fair, and always prepared...
Go to Top of Page

TeamCorbon

USA
663 Posts

Posted - May 28 2010 :  07:21:29 AM  Show Profile  Send TeamCorbon a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
FYI, and I hate to seem like I'm pimping our products here, but we will have a 327 Federal round out in DPX and PowRball within the next month or two. Test guns are coming in next week and bullets and brass should be close behind.

Mike Shovel
Vice President/Public and Media Relations
COR-BON/Glaser
Mike@CORBON.com
412-496-0428

Edited by - TeamCorbon on May 28 2010 07:22:26 AM
Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

32494 Posts

Posted - May 28 2010 :  07:46:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's not pimping when it's DPX or PB.

"The greatest thing a Father can do for his children is to love their Mother."

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

sgt.207

USA
115 Posts

Posted - May 28 2010 :  08:36:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately, where I live, Walmart won't/doesn't sell ammo.
Go to Top of Page

carlojohn90

193 Posts

Posted - May 28 2010 :  11:51:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If I can't afford to practice with it then I don't want it. It also feels just like I'm firing a .357 mag and I can't say that I enjoy that very much out of a snubby. With no .38 option, it just doesn't make any sense to me.
Go to Top of Page

TimM

USA
882 Posts

Posted - May 29 2010 :  09:24:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with everyone about being able to buy ammo at Walmart. There's even a hardware store or two around my parts that still sell ammo, the .327 isn't stocked. As far as the .38 or .357 matter, I find .357 out of a snubby to be way to much of a good thing. Recoil is a subjective matter, you won't know until you try it.

Tim
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
7924 Posts

Posted - May 30 2010 :  09:49:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess I was inoculated against the "latest and greatest" virus at birth.

Not only do I want to know I can get ammo for it (and there is another side of me that like esoteric stuff so I own and shoot a lot of wildcats for hunting - but that is a different topic than defense) but I want to know; "What is is for?".

If the .327 is "better" than the .38 or .357 for defense then why not just go all the way "up" to a .22 Magnum? Or better yet a .17 HRM?

Is it lethal? I imagine. Is it more likely to stop a fight quicker than a .38 with an equal hit (assuming a good load in the .38) - I doubt it (no doubt there will be differences either way depending on exactly what is hit inside the body).

If it prove out to be really good then I need to dig up a Browning P-35 in 7.65 Luger (passed up two of them and I should not have).

Jim

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon Kindle!
Go to Top of Page

Pitbull

1971 Posts

Posted - June 08 2010 :  9:10:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm also with Evan on the ammo availability at this point in time. You can buy the .38 spl. in regular or higher octane + P loadings. The .357 has also been around a long time as well. Don't see much of the .327 stuff around either. Not sure if it's really filling in any gap between the 38 + P and the .357 load. Guess time will tell it's success or failure story.

Edited by - Pitbull on June 08 2010 9:16:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

TONY
Advanced Member

USA
3385 Posts

Posted - June 09 2010 :  09:51:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just out of curiosity, mostly because this came up the other day, "What question does the 327 answer??".

Stay Safe,

TONY
Go to Top of Page

mspears

USA
570 Posts

Posted - June 09 2010 :  11:18:06 AM  Show Profile  Send mspears an AOL message  Reply with Quote
"How do I get 6 rounds into a compact revolver?". That's all I can think of. Is the .327 mag any better of a stopper than a .38 +P or .357 mag? Doubtful. No, make that probably not.

In preparing for battle I have always found that plans are useless, but planning is indispensable.
Dwight D. Eisenhower
Go to Top of Page

jle3030
Advanced Member

USA
3988 Posts

Posted - June 09 2010 :  12:11:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When betting my life on a caliber with rather middling bore size and ballistics, I prefer to at least go with a known quantity. The .38 Spl, in all its permutations and with over 100 years of track record, is about as known as it gets. If I want more power than .38+P, I can just drop magnums in the 640-1. If I want the sixth shot, I can pull a Colt Cobra out of the safe.

One of the by-products of a 40+ year search for the ideal carry gun is that one accumulates a safe full of good guns and develops a fairy high level of apathy toward the newest, latest, and greatest.

Jeff

jle3030
Go to Top of Page

padwan
Starting Member

49 Posts

Posted - June 11 2010 :  03:04:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Much as I hate to be what Evan calls unpaid R&D for new guns, I'd hate it even more to be a guinea pig for new calibers for self defense.

I like the .38+P and I can normally get ammo for it even when the neighborhood stores run out of 9mm or .45ACP.
Go to Top of Page

dawei

USA
153 Posts

Posted - June 11 2010 :  2:54:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been carrying and using 38 Special and 357 Magnum guns for almost 40 years - and see no reason to change calibers!

David

Only two defining forces have ever died for you:
1. Jesus Christ.
2. American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, & Marine.
One died for your soul; the other for your freedom.

1Cross+3Nails=4given
Go to Top of Page

5-Shooter
Starting Member

USA
35 Posts

Posted - June 29 2010 :  9:36:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agree with the above.....long time user of both here, and would never be without them.

"Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less." Robert E. Lee
USCG Veteran, Semper Paratus
Go to Top of Page

Glenn
Advanced Member

USA
1075 Posts

Posted - June 29 2010 :  10:32:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will stick with the .38 special and the .357 magnum because they are street proven rounds and are available almost any where I can get them both in quantity the major sporting goods stores here don't stock the .327 fed magnum and don't have the guns either.

Semper Paratus
Go to Top of Page

Slick
Advanced Member

USA
3384 Posts

Posted - June 30 2010 :  12:26:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First 327 Magnum I saw in one of our classes was a Taurus, and it just about locked up on the second cylinder. The cases didn't want to eject, I had to use "something other than my hand" to knock the ejector rod sharply enough to break them loose. On the 3rd cylinder, we couldn't get them out at all.
Recoil was pretty stout, apparently either TOO stout, or too much for that Taurus.
Not a good start in my book, and probably soured me on the round for good.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Go to Top of Page

dragon
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - July 15 2010 :  11:42:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My guess for the issue is because it was a Taurus (Tore A**) From what I have read the 327 should be stouter recoil and power than a 38+ however less that a 357.

quote:
Originally posted by Slick

First 327 Magnum I saw in one of our classes was a Taurus, and it just about locked up on the second cylinder. The cases didn't want to eject, I had to use "something other than my hand" to knock the ejector rod sharply enough to break them loose. On the 3rd cylinder, we couldn't get them out at all.
Recoil was pretty stout, apparently either TOO stout, or too much for that Taurus.
Not a good start in my book, and probably soured me on the round for good.

Go to Top of Page

revjen45
Advanced Member

1818 Posts

Posted - July 15 2010 :  1:41:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From Carlojohn90:"With no .38 option, it just doesn't make any sense to me.:
Doesn't .32H&R shoot in a .327 chamber? Of course, price and availability aren't any better than the .327, so it probably doesn't matter.
From the Web: apparently some brave or foolhardy souls are rechambering the .32ACP cylinders for the Nagant to .327. I think I will let them do the R&D on that.

Better to perish in the struggle for freedom than live to see defeat.
Go to Top of Page

Frogfoot

USA
692 Posts

Posted - July 17 2010 :  03:03:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
dragon, watch out for rule #1.

We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give. - Sir Winston Churchill
Go to Top of Page

dragon
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - July 29 2010 :  12:02:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry, I guess next time I will need to use && instead. JK.
Go to Top of Page

Gearhead Jim

USA
220 Posts

Posted - August 04 2010 :  12:38:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TimM

... I find .357 out of a snubby to be way to much of a good thing. Recoil is a subjective matter, you won't know until you try it.

Tim

But once you've tried it, you'll darned tootin know!
Go to Top of Page

Srigs
Advanced Member

USA
1061 Posts

Posted - August 05 2010 :  12:21:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't see a need for a 327 that is not already met by 38/357.

If you want a 2.5" revolver then pick up a Model 19/66 then you and shoot 357s in it.

Srigs
Go to Top of Page

ComteDeLoach
Starting Member

USA
25 Posts

Posted - October 01 2010 :  12:49:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your whole premise is self defeating. You cant find ammo for it so your not interested in buying it, but if nobody buys one you wont be able to find ammo for it....Self fullfilling prophesy...

Once need I can see is to have seven shots in a revolver that only has 6 in .357. I think I GP-100 in .327 Magnum would be worth looking at, from that perspective...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-09 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.39seconds. Snitz Forums 2000