Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - New Shooter- Step by Step
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Real World
 Gals & Guns
 New Shooter- Step by Step
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Scout.308
Advanced Member

1083 Posts

Posted - March 07 2010 :  11:56:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Took my friend's daughter for her first shooting experience yesterday.

She is a tiny little woman, but stout of heart.

After a couple of hours of at-home safety work and dry-firing, we went to the range. We spent quite some time shooting CB-long loads to become accustomed to the basics of shooting and the ways of a range, until she finally asked to shoot heavier loads.

I had taken three revolvers and a protective glove. Step-by-step we ran up the power range. Each step-up, she expressed surprise, then comfort and a desire to go higher. We went slowly from CB caps, to high-speed .22s, .38WC, .38LRN, .357 range FMJs, .44 WC 180g/650f, mid-range .44M SWC, and finally to (1 shot!) a full-load .44M 180gr JHP handload.

I'll never forget the look on the faces of the guys who watched that tiny woman touch-off a full-power .44 hunting load. I couldn't tell if their grins were bigger than hers or not.

No big shocks, nothing she wasn't ready to handle, and by moving gently, she surprised herself at her ability and interest. If we take the time to go thoughtfully and slowly, we can help our sisters and daughters come enthusiastically into our world.

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
George Washington

Malcolm
Advanced Member

USA
4008 Posts

Posted - March 07 2010 :  1:22:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good for you. that kind of exposure DOES work and very positively.
I've learned over the years, that what I "thought", my duaghters/wife/duaghter-in-law and other family female friends would "like" was completely off-the-mark. We've got women that carry Beretta 92 9mm's, Glock 19s, Smith and Wesson Model 19 2 1/2 inch .357s(yeah, I was dumb enough to let our eldest daughter snag that one), Smith and Wesson 9mm's Glock 21. What did I know about what they would like...

"The measure of a man's character, is how he treats someone who can do nothing for him." (unknown)
Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

4377 Posts

Posted - November 05 2010 :  12:50:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've introduced several female friends to the wonderful world of firearms. Every one of them ended up really enjoying it; and coming away with a new sense of empowerment.

I started my 3 daughters shooting at about age 6. I stretched a rope between two trees on a steep hillside (backstop) and tied balloons to the rope every few feet. I started them off close enough that every shot was a hit: maybe three feet away at first. Every hit was immediately recognizable as the balloon went 'POP!'. I gradually moved them back step by step til they were shooting---and hitting---from several yards away. They gradually learned to hit from farther and farther away. The whole experience was a positive one, lots of fun for them and me.

I started them off shooting a .22 revolver: first with CB caps, then graduating to .22 short, .22 long, .22 LR. So the recoil and report were never an issue. After mastering the .22 revolver, we went on to my Ruger .22 semiauto. IMO, this is a good way to start all newbies shooting, adult or kids, male or female. Many first-time shooters find the recoil and noise of a full-powered pistol or rifle disconcerting. With a .22, they can learn the essentials of grip, sight picture, and trigger control; and gradually accustom themselves to the recoil.

Every moment was also a lesson in gun safety: "Remember, finger off the trigger til you're on target. Keep the gun pointed downrange. Good! Now, finger off the trigger... Open the cylinder and make sure your gun is empty... Good!" And so on.

In this way my kids were innoculated against stupid gun accidents. They know how guns work, they know how to check to see if they are loaded, they know never to point one in anyone's direction regardless. They will never fall prey to the kind of foolish accident you read about so often: when kids who are fascinated by guns---aren't they all?---but have been forbidden to touch them, finally get their hands on one... often with disastrous results. If ever anyone starts doing foolish things with a gun, my daughters knew enough to leave the room and inform an adult. (They are now adults themselves.)

Later when they got older---at their request---they started shooting my bigger guns. My eldest was 11 when she asked to shoot my Sig P226 in 9mm. "It's just like the .22's", I told her. "Keep a firm grip, maintain your sight picture, squeeze the trigger..." I'll never forget the look on her face when the gun went off, and the pop can she was shooting at jumped into the air. She looked at me with a huge grin on her face. "It feels so... powerful!" she said. "Yep," her proud Dad replied.

I recall too when she was 17, going to the gun range with her and a classmate (who had some gun experience), and watching them shoot my Benelli Super 90 and my HK91.

Like Scout.308 says, if you walk them through it slowly, newbies will surprise themselves with how proficient they can be with a little practice; and how much fun it is to master the fine art of shooting. And how empowering, especially for a woman; who realizes she no longer has to feel helpless, and rely on someone else to protect her.

"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at its testing point"--- C.S. Lewis

"There are some ideas so foolish that only an intellectual could believe them"--- George Orwell

Slow Is Smooth, Smooth Is Fast

Edited by - LittleBill on November 05 2010 1:08:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

GLV

USA
8866 Posts

Posted - November 05 2010 :  3:52:02 PM  Show Profile  Send GLV an ICQ Message  Send GLV a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Bill,the thread below this one--last Post.

'the world is round everywhere'

'The meek will inherit the earth, but only after the last soldier has left it to them in his will'
Go to Top of Page

enidpd804
Advanced Member

1758 Posts

Posted - November 05 2010 :  5:08:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good on you, Scout! Imagine if each of us introduced two people to responsible firearms ownership over our lifetimes.

Warren
Go to Top of Page

stdatdeacon

USA
598 Posts

Posted - November 05 2010 :  9:08:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I went out west to Utah last summer to visit family. When I got there, my brother-in-law, a retired Army officer (medical type), announced that he wanted to buy a 9mm for home protection. I suggested a shotgun, but he was adamant. I suggested a G17, he bit, and the following weekend we went into the mountains to shoot. He set up some cans and began shooting, but not connecting. My daughter, then 17, stated that anyone could do better than that. He gave the weapon to her and challenged her to do better. 6 cans were standing, and after 6 shots, they were all over the place. Yep...my girl knows her way around a G17. All he could get out was, "Showoff!"

"Our obligations to our country never cease but with our lives." --John Adams- Letter to Benjamin Rush, 18 April 1808.
Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

4377 Posts

Posted - November 06 2010 :  10:59:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GLV

Bill,the thread below this one--last Post.

Thanks! Excellent post.

One question: you say in that post:

"6)The ability to turn this handgun into an odd sized rock in seconds if one needs to leave in in vehicle,checked luggage, gun lock box, etc.
7)The ability to turn this back into a firearm in seconds.

Concerning points 6&7, yes I do recommend an empty chamber to perform this action, but if care is taken as to where the trigger finger is, and gun is pointed in a safe direction, this can be done with a loaded gun."

I'm assuming there's some way to render it inoperable?

I wasn't aware of that...

"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at its testing point"--- C.S. Lewis

"There are some ideas so foolish that only an intellectual could believe them"--- George Orwell

Slow Is Smooth, Smooth Is Fast

Edited by - LittleBill on November 06 2010 11:07:00 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.16seconds. Snitz Forums 2000