Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - 10MM ammo
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Stopping Power
 Stopping Power
 10MM ammo
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

1 Posts

Posted - January 29 2003 :  12:12:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Evan
What do you recommend as being the best 10mm full power JHP ammo.I'm more interested in ammo that is closest to original specs(170gr-200gr@1200fps or better).Which ones are best on paper and which have the best street results.Did a search but did not get too much info.

If I gotta be stoopid atleast I'm good lookin!

Terry

USA
5481 Posts

Posted - January 29 2003 :  12:33:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not Evan but I can tell you a little about what he says in his book.

Topping his charts is Cor Bon's 150 gr JHP (goes at about 1300fps) at about the 90s percentile.

If you like the heavier weights, the 175 gr Silvertip is right behind the Cor Bon round in Evan's stats if I remember it right.

"Simplicity is the last step of art, and the beginning of nature" Bruce Lee
von hier an blind
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

28 Posts

Posted - January 29 2003 :  04:10:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have some old black talon 10MM (170 gr i think, would have to look, bought 10 boxes at a good discount when they went away from the talon, no one wanted the 10MM, they got premium prices on the9MM,.45,etc, but i got the 10MM for like $8 a box or so, a goood deal i think)from a LOOONG time ago, any thoughts on these, better or worse than whats available now?? i like the full power 10MM myself, outta a 1911 delta elite, a great combo i think. if i wanna go with the lite 10MM, i would get a .40 S&W glock (IE) and save myself some weight and size. i dont think the reoil is that bad on the full power 10MM, not much worse than a .45ACP with +p loads, but i shoot a LOT! but my wife shoots it some too, does pretty good with it too, she is 5'3 and 118 lbs, so......with practice, ya can shoot anything (usually anyway)

JW
Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

32570 Posts

Posted - January 29 2003 :  07:57:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
got a 10MM Witness but only use it for ammo t&e-for sd, I think a .40 is a much better choice due to size of the weapon.

"The greatest thing a Father can do for his children is to love their Mother."

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

28 Posts

Posted - January 30 2003 :  03:29:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
so, evan, what do you think about the old talon 10MM ammo, works on deer for me!!! got 2 this year with this ammo out of a colt delta 1911, imho the best platform to deliver the 10MM from.

JW
Go to Top of Page

Rbt2
Starting Member

USA
15 Posts

Posted - February 13 2003 :  8:47:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I received an order of 10 mm ammo recently from Texas Ammo Co. Spec'd to [I believe]1300 fps for the 165 gr bullet, which uses the Gold Dot slug. Using water filled gallon plastic milk jugs [Hey, its quick, cheap and repeatable], it penetrated into the the 3rd jug, expanded beautifly, and did not separate from the core. In comparison, the 175 Silvertip and 150 Corbon had simular penetration [3rd jug], and both expanded well, but the Corbon separated from the core, and lost much of the lead to fragmentation. The Corbon did have the most spectacular upset of the first jug. The Texas 165 load had noticibly more recoil, but not uncomfortably so. When time permits, I will check the 135 and 200 gr HP Texas Ammo loads [and other brands], but they are not loaded with Gold Dots. At this time, I would give the nod to the 165 gr Texas load.
Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

32570 Posts

Posted - February 14 2003 :  04:33:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
haven't seen many shootings with BT. Got some of the orginal Norma and its stiff.

"The greatest thing a Father can do for his children is to love their Mother."

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
8027 Posts

Posted - February 14 2003 :  7:55:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The B.T. is a 200 gr. bullet and goes about 1100 in some guns. I have seen a couple recovered from deer and they expanded fine. The original lot of Norma 200 JTC clocked 1204 in my Bren (The Bren X had "power seal" rifling which did offer less resistance but sealed the bore so perhaps it does get a bit better).

I discontinued the use of it in the Bren, the slide just does not look as robust as the 1911 to me and I know that the CZ type design breaks slide stops when you load hot.

Silvertips (175) go in the mid 1200's, seems like good stuff.

I havent tried any of the factory stuff in lighter bullets but I don't see why the 150-165 would not work for self defense.

Good luck!
Jim Higginbotham

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!
Go to Top of Page

Terry

USA
5481 Posts

Posted - February 14 2003 :  11:27:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Higginbotham

The B.T. is a 200 gr. bullet and goes about 1100 in some guns.

That's fast!

I always thought it was loaded to 950 fps.

"Simplicity is the last step of art, and the beginning of nature" Bruce Lee
von hier an blind
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
8027 Posts

Posted - February 15 2003 :  8:59:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Terry

That's fast!

I always thought it was loaded to 950 fps.

Kind of surprised me too but even the PMC 200 JTC gets over 1,000 - even in a regular Colt. I witnessed a cop from Cook Co. IL stop a charging wild boar with that load one day - he jumped, *drew* (from a duty rig) and shot the boar in the brain while he was in the air as it passed under him and he landed with a foot on each side of the dead boar. It was an impressive shot! I would give a lot to have a video of it but as it was there were about 12 witnesses.

Press on,
Jim H.

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!
Go to Top of Page

triplem
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - February 16 2003 :  02:08:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Seems the 10mm has a small but loyal following. Seeing Dan Wesson come out with a 10mm is a positive sign. Wish other manufacturers would get on board and do the same.

On another very popular forum there is a tremendous amount of discussion about reloading the 10mm. I know it is a versatile cartridge, but the things they have been able to do with it are amazing. (i.e. 135 grain bullets going 1700+ fps & 200 grain bullets going over 1400 fps). The launching platform for these nuclear loads is a glock 20 with a heavy recoil spring, full length rod guide, and a quality 6" aftermarket barrel that offers good case support.

I for one am glad to see that 10mm works on wild boars. In certain places where I bird hunt the wild boars are all over and I carry a 10mm just in case I come face to face with one. It hasn't happened yet but I am concerned. Although I can get up a tree, there is the loyal hunting dog I have to worry about.

Wish there was more info on 10mm for self defense.

Regards,

Neal
Go to Top of Page

montanaman
Advanced Member

1000 Posts

Posted - February 16 2003 :  10:23:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I looked longingly at the first Delta Elites in the State, when they first came out - But in the first year, it was reported that the Delta Elites would shoot loose in a hurry with the Norma ammunition.

What has the verdict been? Is the full-power 10mm too much for the autoloaders?

Vita est dura in Montana, et fortuna non bona est.
Go to Top of Page

triplem
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - February 16 2003 :  12:20:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"What has the verdict been? Is the full-power 10mm too much for the autoloaders?"

From what I can tell (that means, for the most part, "from what I read on other forums"), the glocks have seem to be able to handle the full power loads. keep in mind that in glocks, for real hot ammo (handloaded / reloaded) most use a heavier than stock recoil spring and a quality aftermarket barrel that offers better case support. I have shot the glock 20; there is just something about it that does seem to tame felt recoil. I plan on acquiring one shortly.

Regarding the Delta's, I cannot say one way or the other. Seems that about half the people I talk to say they hold up quite well and the other half say the frames gonna crack, its only a matter of time. One trick some use with the delta is a full length rod guide, a 20lb vari recoil spring and a buff. The thought process is that the Delta with the stock 23lb spring(s) set-up is oversprung and beats the gun to death when it returns the slide to battery. What is correct? I don't really know. I do have a delta and use the modified set-up but only shoot factory ammo and only the mild stuff (i.e. CCI blazer and winchester silvertips). I bought the delta used and other than the above change, it is stock and still going strong.

If one is really interested in acquiring a 10mm, they should go rent one at a shooting range as most I have seen usually have a glock 10mm as a rental.

Hope this helps.

Neal.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-09 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.16seconds. Snitz Forums 2000