Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - 9BP
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Stopping Power
 Stopping Power
 9BP
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Barnacle Bill
Advanced Member

USA
1016 Posts

Posted - November 21 2009 :  5:15:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just received an order of ammo from an online vendor I haven't used before. The web site listed it as "9mm - 115 grain JHP - Federal Classic Personal Defense - 50 Rounds" and showed a picture of the box on which "C9BP" could be clearly read. The box coloring I received was the same, but read "9BP" (no "C").

Is Federal still using "9BP" (no "C"), or is this stuff from before they changed the code?

spwenger
Advanced Member

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - November 22 2009 :  3:57:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For whatever it's worth, I've got some boxes of 9BP in the older red boxes marked "Federal Hi-Power" and one in a newer silver-and-blue box marked "Federal Classic." I guess I never bought any recently enough for it to be designated C9BP but I believe it's all the same stuff.

Stephen P. Wenger

Firearm safety - it's a matter for education, not legislation.
Go to Top of Page

Barnacle Bill
Advanced Member

USA
1016 Posts

Posted - November 22 2009 :  4:43:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The last time I bought any before this was probably 2007. What I came up with then was 20 round boxes in a mix of predominantly-blue boxes whose primary labelling included "Federal Personal Defense" and predominantly silver boxes (that I believe included the word "Classic" and not "Personal Defense").

The new stuff is in a 50 round box that is predominantly silver and says "Federal Classic Hi-Shok".

If you google c9bp federal, you'll see pictures of both the predominantly-blue 20 round box and the predominantly-silver 50 round box. On pictures of the later, you'll clearly see "C9BP" in the lower left corner. My new boxes look just like that, except "9BP" (no C).

BTW, whether it's in stock (rare) or out of stock (common), the 20 round boxes are far more expensive per round than the 50 rounders. The latter don't say they are LE packaging, but the price makes me suspect it. In which case my "new" stuff might be surplus LE ammo disposed by some department as past its prime (which is why I'm asking the question).

Edited by - Barnacle Bill on November 22 2009 4:48:37 PM
Go to Top of Page

Matthew Courtney
Advanced Member

USA
1211 Posts

Posted - November 22 2009 :  7:04:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unless the cartridge cases or copper jackets are discolored, it is likely as reliable as it was when it came off of the assembly line, whether that was 1979 or 2009. Ammo kept in a cool, dry place lasts longer than we will and ammo kept in suspect places starts to get a patina on the brass cases and copper jackets.

If I remember the code schemes correctly, the letters before the cartridge designation(in this case, the "C" before the "9")denote the marketing designation, while "9BP" is the product designation.

You will never begin in the fight you have planned for. You will begin in the fight the other guy has planned for.
Move in a manner that leads him into your fight should he press his attack.
Go to Top of Page

Ten Driver
Advanced Member

1161 Posts

Posted - November 22 2009 :  11:34:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill, on Federal's commercial website, that round has the catalog code "C9BP," whereas on the Federal LE website, the same round carries the catalog code "9BP."

As you suspected, it's the same ammunition, just different packaging. Federal uses the "C" prefix for "Classic" ammunition, which is what they are calling their loads with traditional JHPs.

Your new stuff is probably just from LE overrun. Great stuff. Where'd you get it? Was the price reasonable?

V/R
Mike
Go to Top of Page

Barnacle Bill
Advanced Member

USA
1016 Posts

Posted - November 23 2009 :  08:13:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got it from a place called LuckyGunner, and paid $25/box of 50. I thought that was pretty good, compared to what folks selling the 20 round commercial boxes typically ask for it (when they have it). Then I saw Palmetto State Armory with the same stuff apparently in stock for $18/box of 50
Go to Top of Page

Barnacle Bill
Advanced Member

USA
1016 Posts

Posted - November 24 2009 :  11:41:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One the other hand, while LuckyGunner might not be the cheapest, they are certainly fast. Early yesterday afternoon, I ordered some .380 ball from them. Fedex left it on the front porch this morning
Go to Top of Page

Lockjaw
Average Member

USA
342 Posts

Posted - December 11 2009 :  5:43:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I always thought BP was the same as BPLE, just not loaded as hot.
Go to Top of Page

dullh
Average Member

USA
426 Posts

Posted - December 13 2009 :  10:02:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lockjaw

I always thought BP was the same as BPLE, just not loaded as hot.

BP is standard pressure, BPLE is faster - about 200 fps faster so my chrono has told me.

I like both 9BP and 9BPLE. Philly used 9BP forever and didn't have many complaints. I have a bit of both on hand and I will tell you - out of all the 9mm defensive loads out there, these are the two I love the most!
Go to Top of Page

Tact81Cop
Advanced Member

USA
1522 Posts

Posted - December 14 2009 :  7:28:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
9BP is decent ammo for a great price comparatively speaking. As Ten Driver said Federal added the "C" to designate the "Classic" line.

Molon labe
Go to Top of Page

dullh
Average Member

USA
426 Posts

Posted - December 19 2009 :  11:09:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There was a thread on here a long time back discussing the difference between the "old" 9BP and the "new" 9BP in the blue/silver box. I can't remember the details, but someone said that while there is some kind of difference, it's wasn't performance affecting.

9BP remains my favorite standard pressure 9mm round.
Go to Top of Page

Ten Driver
Advanced Member

1161 Posts

Posted - December 29 2009 :  03:20:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think that thread discussed 9BPLE changes.

On the "new" 9BPLE, the jacket did not curl over the edge of the hollowpoint cavity like it did on the "old" 9BPLE. One of the forum members reported that this caused minor changes in gel performance.

Woody
Go to Top of Page

Ten Driver
Advanced Member

1161 Posts

Posted - December 29 2009 :  03:31:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Found it!

Here's the old thread, and yes it was 9BPLE that was discussed:

http://www.stoppingpower.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16233
Go to Top of Page

Nobby42d

USA
523 Posts

Posted - January 16 2010 :  01:32:18 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Nobby42d's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
BP is standard pressure, BPLE is faster - about 200 fps faster so my chrono has told me.

I like both 9BP and 9BPLE. Philly used 9BP forever and didn't have many complaints. I have a bit of both on hand and I will tell you - out of all the 9mm defensive loads out there, these are the two I love the most!

Well, now I feel better. The white box 9BPLE I got from Ammotogo chrono's between the 9BP and the 1300 plus that everyone else (but me) gets from 9BPLE.

My Federal Classic 9BP 115 Hi-Shok JHPs chrono'd at 1141 fps from a P226 and about 1100 from a P239, and 1130 from a S&W 3913. That's from 1996 records.

Newly arrived 9BPLE from Ammotogo averaged 1215 fps from a P228. I'll be generous and call it Plus P velocity (almost) and quit worrying about it.

We've got 'em now boys! George A. Custer, June 25th,1876--Little Bighorn, Mont.

Edited by - Nobby42d on January 16 2010 01:38:52 AM
Go to Top of Page

Gearhead Jim

USA
222 Posts

Posted - January 16 2010 :  2:06:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When my department was using Winchester 115 +P+, I chronographed many different lots over the years and all except one lot averaged 1300-1352 fps from my Browning HP. Probably no coincidence that the Illinois State Police spec called for 1300 fps from a S&W 59.

Federal 115 +P+ (9BPLE) was slightly slower, and there were a couple of years when we were told that Federal won the 9mm contract but then lost it when the 9BPLE failed to meet the 1300 fps spec.

Federal from the same gun and same chrono averaged 1282-1295 for the same lots. Very consistant, but a bit slower.
Firing the same amo through my Glock 19 reduecd the velocity by 25-30 fps.

Edited by - Gearhead Jim on January 16 2010 2:09:24 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-09 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.08seconds. Snitz Forums 2000