Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Synthetic Motor Oils as Small Arms Lubricants
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Be Prepared
 Emergency Preparedness
 Synthetic Motor Oils as Small Arms Lubricants
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5049 Posts

Posted - August 10 2009 :  11:44:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tried the Rotel juice. Too many seeds. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
Go to Top of Page

CharlieX

USA
781 Posts

Posted - August 11 2009 :  6:47:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ace

Too much time on your hands there, Ace?

Go to Top of Page

mojo
Advanced Member

USA
2911 Posts

Posted - August 11 2009 :  8:30:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ace

And the peppers make your eyes sting and water.

Texas and Louisiana Concealed handgun instructor.

NRA Certified Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearm Safety, Personal Protection and Refuse to be a Victim instructor.

NRA Endowment member.

Disabled U. S. Army Veteran 1St Cav and 82nd Airborne 1967-1970.
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5049 Posts

Posted - August 13 2009 :  8:42:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
But it does smell good when it gets hot. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
Go to Top of Page

12XLR8
Starting Member

USA
21 Posts

Posted - October 20 2009 :  1:40:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
anyone heard of eezox?
Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

34116 Posts

Posted - October 20 2009 :  2:25:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
nope-Mobil One works so well I've quit looking

"The greatest thing a Father can do for his children is to love their Mother."

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

CharlieX

USA
781 Posts

Posted - October 20 2009 :  3:36:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Evan

nope-Mobil One works so well I've quit looking

I find myself of the same mindset. M1 does it all.

Go to Top of Page

12XLR8
Starting Member

USA
21 Posts

Posted - October 24 2009 :  04:56:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK if both of you use mobil 1 so well I!
Go to Top of Page

CharlieX

USA
781 Posts

Posted - October 31 2010 :  1:40:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I knew that it couldn't last forever...

As of September 2010, Mobil has reformulated their motorcycle oil product line significantly. It would appear that they have moved away from or are using very little, if any, PAO (Group IV) base stock oil in these products anymore due to the increased profitability of selling the "new", but not necessarily improved, formulation at the "old" (and much better for their bank account) price.

Both of these oils show a large decrease in their respective Pour and Flash Points (Cleveland Open Cup) as well as their Viscosity Index ratings which is highly suggestive of the elimination of the superior basestocks from their prior formulations. If any of you like and have been using these oils to lubricate your guns and have any purchased well in advance of this "improvement", I'd recommend conserving it. I have three unopened bottles purchased in October of 2008 that I'll be hanging onto and when that runs out it'll be time to look for a replacement.

MOBIL 1 10W40 (MX4T)
PP: -49.00 F
FP: +413.60 F
V100: 82.00 cSt
V212: 13.10 cSt
TSR: 462.60 F
VI: 161
Mo: unknown

MOBIL 1 20W50 (VTWIN)
PP: -43.60 F
FP: +417.20 F
V100: 172.30 cSt
V212: 20.80 cSt
TSR: 460.80 F
VI: 142
Mo: unknown

Happily, the 5w30 Extended Performance stuff tested well in a recent VOA that I was fortunate enough to review and have the data for that product presented here:

MOBIL 1 5W30 EP
PP: -49.00 F
FP: +451.40 F
V100: 64.40 cSt
V212: 11.20 cSt
TSR: 500.40 F
VI: 168
Mo: 80 ppm

Looks like some promising stuff. Slightly better "specs" than the "standard" M1 5w30.

Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5049 Posts

Posted - October 31 2010 :  2:59:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Charlie, my chemical expertise is limited to mixing vinegar and baking soda to see if it really fizzes (it does, if I remember correctly). Is your last post indicating that the new stuff from Mobil wouldn't be suitable as a gun lubricant? Or maybe OK but just not as good as the pre-Sept'10 stuff? Thanks for helping an old doofus. Ace

Edited by - Ace on October 31 2010 3:01:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

34116 Posts

Posted - October 31 2010 :  3:56:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I figure the world will be coming to an end when you can no longer get reruns of the 3 Stooges. I have 10 quarts of Mobil One put away. It ain't to change oil after things collapse. I figure I can lubricate alot of guns with 10 quarts.

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

perrodelucha

USA
927 Posts

Posted - October 31 2010 :  5:56:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
does the reformulation apply to the motorcycle line of oils only or is it for everything that they make?
Go to Top of Page

86 Posts

Posted - October 31 2010 :  7:55:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
CharlieX et al. thanks for all the work. Now know why it works so well.

12XLR8 I used eezox for years at the recommendation of one of the Armourers who in turn from got it from guys over in the sand box. Here in the windy high plains desert we get a good bet of sand blown around and eezox dries leaving a coat almost bonded to the metal.

In tight chambers, have a Wylde 556, after 200 maybe 300 had stoppages. This one just needed more lube and it runs flawlessly now on Mobil 1.
Go to Top of Page

CharlieX

USA
781 Posts

Posted - October 31 2010 :  9:03:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ace

Charlie, my chemical expertise is limited to mixing vinegar and baking soda to see if it really fizzes (it does, if I remember correctly). Is your last post indicating that the new stuff from Mobil wouldn't be suitable as a gun lubricant? Or maybe OK but just not as good as the pre-Sept'10 stuff? Thanks for helping an old doofus. Ace

Ace,

Can't imagine using the word 'doofus' and your name in the same sentence, Ace. Good questions from you always.

Even with the lower ratings the "new" formulation is "over-engineered" for what it will face in most of our firearms. Rarely do those surfaces requiring lubrication reach a temperature of more than +400 F except perhaps in prolonged full-auto sessions.

While M1 20w50 VTWIN is still suitable as an alternative weapons lubricant, my personal preference is for the highest quality and performance that I can get for my money and EM has fallen short with this change IMO. The product has had an exceptional reputation for years and I think that we are about to see it fall to the wayside very shortly.

If you are fine with these changes there is nothing that should stop you from using it.

Go to Top of Page

CharlieX

USA
781 Posts

Posted - October 31 2010 :  9:13:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Evan

I figure the world will be coming to an end when you can no longer get reruns of the 3 Stooges. I have 10 quarts of Mobil One put away. It ain't to change oil after things collapse. I figure I can lubricate alot of guns with 10 quarts.

Here's hoping my paltry three quarts see me through to that point, too. Don't know how I'll make it without the Stooges though.

Go to Top of Page

CharlieX

USA
781 Posts

Posted - October 31 2010 :  9:31:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by perrodelucha

does the reformulation apply to the motorcycle line of oils only or is it for everything that they make?

EM (and everyone else) reformulates all of their products intermittently as the need (for increased profits) arises. The Mobil 1 automotive product line saw similar changes (use of less expensive basestocks) during 2005-2007. The current changes seem to relate only to the MC line. These changes are likely a result of the last court battle between EM and Castrol over what constitutes/defines a true synthetic and what doesn't and what can be advertised as being "fully synthetic". Castrol was using Group III+s and calling it a "full synthetic" when M1 was using Group IVs (more costly and offering a higher level of performance) which certainly fit the description which is why EM sued. Castrol won and EM is simply not going to keep putting the more expensive basestocks into their products if they don't have to and still be able to advertise/refer to them as "fully synthetic".

The differences between Group III+s and IVs are likely not going to matter to the average consumer since we are unlikely to subject our cars to the abuse that would necessitate the use of a Group IV/V. The differences are meaningful only to their lubricant engineers/chemists and EM's profit margin.

Happily, the recent change in their 5w30EP (see above) product demonstrates a slight increase in specifications over the prior iteration. Go figure.

Go to Top of Page

CharlieX

USA
781 Posts

Posted - October 31 2010 :  9:33:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 1917

CharlieX et al. thanks for all the work. Now know why it works so well.

12XLR8 I used eezox for years at the recommendation of one of the Armourers who in turn from got it from guys over in the sand box. Here in the windy high plains desert we get a good bet of sand blown around and eezox dries leaving a coat almost bonded to the metal.

In tight chambers, have a Wylde 556, after 200 maybe 300 had stoppages. This one just needed more lube and it runs flawlessly now on Mobil 1.

Sure. Glad to impart any (and what little) knowledge I have.

Go to Top of Page

autochet
Average Member

397 Posts

Posted - November 01 2010 :  10:28:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Evan,

I hate to sound like an idiot but I am not getting something. My apologies if this question makes me sound dense. Are you serious that you use Mobil One Synthetic for autos to lubricate your firearms? If you are serious exactly what weight?

Like I said and no insult intended. Its just that in my 50 years of living and 45 years of those shooting one type of firearm or another I have never heard before now of anyone using anything but gun oil for firearms. Please let me know. I am always willing to learn something knew.
Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

34116 Posts

Posted - November 01 2010 :  12:21:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yup-I've used it to lube everything from pistols to Barrett .50's. Used it on M60's too. I've never bothered looking at a weight. When we were supplying the MILES system at Nuke Power Plants around the country for Force and Force training. When we got to a site, I would go into the closest Wally World and grab the 1st Mobil One I saw.

My experiments in Chemsitry ended at the root beer float level of science.

I 1st used it because I had no alternative. It worked so well on the M16's that I went home and started using it on my own guns.

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

autochet
Average Member

397 Posts

Posted - November 01 2010 :  2:05:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info. This will help in my emergency planning.
Go to Top of Page

CharlieX

USA
781 Posts

Posted - November 01 2010 :  2:08:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmm..........

Upon further research it appears that Mobil has recently unveiled a 0w50 "Racing Oil" that very closely mimics the specifications of the prior formulation of M1 20w50 VTWIN....at sixteen bucks per quart.

Once I wrangle the "particulars", I'll update this thread with the information. Right now, it is so "new" that EM does not even have a PDS available for M1 0w50.

Go to Top of Page

perrodelucha

USA
927 Posts

Posted - November 02 2010 :  9:16:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks Charlie!
Go to Top of Page

djwarner

USA
234 Posts

Posted - January 18 2011 :  11:38:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Charlie, since you updated your listing, I have a question.

I have a somewhat rare car that just turned that ugly age (10-20 years old). A lot of the car buffs dote on Mobil1 0W-40 saying it was the only grade Mobil1 made from Group IV stock.

This year-end, a national parts chain had a sale for the stuff on their website. The picture on their website showed "European Car Formula" on the bottle which was supposed to be the "good" stuff so I bought 12 quarts with pick-up at the local store. When I went to retrieve it, the part number was different. They said it was the only stock they had, and that was what the online system called for.

I noticed your post where you said they reformulated away from Group IV so I pulled out a bottle and sure enough, the "European Car Formula" was on the label.

You seem to know their formulation, so what's the verdict? "Tried and True" or "New and Confused"? Do I put in the crankcase or do I have several hundred lifetimes supply of gun lube?

NON NOBIS TANTUM NATI
Go to Top of Page

Charles Ellis

USA
181 Posts

Posted - January 19 2011 :  09:17:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
DJ,If it turns out that you have several lifetimes supply of gun oil,why not buy a bunch of little plastic bottles and some lables and launch your own brand of gun lube?My cut for helping you come up with this monumentous idea will be minimal.Afree bottle or two ought to do it.

C.Ellis
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5049 Posts

Posted - January 19 2011 :  1:49:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just don't tell anyone it's motor oil. 'A Special Synthetic Blend of Slippery Stuff' would probably market better. Ace

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.7seconds. Snitz Forums 2000