StoppingPower.net Forums
Home
Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Less is more...
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Be Prepared
 Training
 Less is more...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dspaulding

USA
626 Posts

Posted - November 02 2008 :  6:38:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I personally trained my son-in-law for his Ohio CCW permit and we were in my garage cleaning our guns when my Dad stopped in. He is a WWII veteran of Iwo Jima and I had no idea until recently what he went through. Naturally the discussion moved to weapons and tactics and my father started to show my son-in-law some of the WWII Combatives techniques that he was taught in boot camp. His recall of what he had learned was nothing short of amazing! He told my son-in-law "Remember Less Is More...don't do what you don't have to... its just a waste of time and effort." I stood there, once again, and looked at my 81 year old father with amazement and awe!

What he did was once again remind me that we need to keep things simple and that advanced tactics really are the basics mastered. It is really easy to get all wrapped up in all of the Ninja crap that is floating around, but I doubt that any of these new age SWAT/CQB/XYZ/Ninja masters will be able to remember what they currently profess to be cutting edge 60 years from now, let alone demonstrate same!

I for one will stand aside and let all of these new age wonders expound on this new gun, that new piece of gear or this new tactic/technique which was founded deep within the belly of some super secret unit that can't be talked about. This stuff is not for me! There are only so many ways to shoot a gun or throw a punch and they have all been invented. If you want to learn something new, read an old book. FWIW...

GLV

USA
8866 Posts

Posted - November 02 2008 :  7:23:24 PM  Show Profile  Send GLV an ICQ Message  Send GLV a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Well said!! And very true!

'the world is round everywhere'

'The meek will inherit the earth, but only after the last soldier has left it to them in his will'
Go to Top of Page

Todd

USA
705 Posts

Posted - November 02 2008 :  8:14:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What an incredible memory for your son in law too!
Todd
Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

32600 Posts

Posted - November 02 2008 :  8:51:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been around many of the secret squirrel units and they're often carrying Glock 19's or SIG P226's or Beretta 92's.

Had the pleasure meeting Rex Applegate and talking to him at several shows. he was the real deal and the people of his generation saved this country. He was a tough old bird and I respected the heck out of him

"The greatest thing a Father can do for his children is to love their Mother."

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

FORT CHAFFEE
Advanced Member

USA
1339 Posts

Posted - November 03 2008 :  09:11:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
+1 to Todd's post. Dave tell your Dad thanks from me for his service in WWII.My great uncle was at Iwo Jima also, he was 19 at the time.
Go to Top of Page

BikerRN
Average Member

473 Posts

Posted - November 03 2008 :  1:01:31 PM  Show Profile  Send BikerRN an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Mr. Dave,

Tell you Dad Thank You from the son of an Okinawa and Pelieu Vet.

I'm not a trainer, instructor or competition shooter of note, and I'm only a legend in my own mind. Now, with all my "qualifications" out there, for what it's worth, I agree with you that "simple is good".

Part of the reason I come to this forum is the people. There is no pretention, "experts" or egomaniacs. Thank you Mr. Dave for taking the time to instruct and write so that others may learn. Mr. Evan, thank you fora great forum and all the work you have done in advancing the "tools" of self defense.

Biker
Go to Top of Page

perrodelucha

USA
920 Posts

Posted - November 03 2008 :  5:47:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
dave, i'm not an expert bu any stretch of the imagination but i do teach ( participate in )a martial arts class. the guys i train do basic stuff every time we get together. you couldn't have said it better - " advanced tactics really are the basics mastered ". amen brother.
Go to Top of Page

dubiousone

515 Posts

Posted - November 03 2008 :  7:40:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
K.I.S.S.

Expert? I ain't no expert, just a
Reasonably Knowledgeable Individual...
Go to Top of Page

dspaulding

USA
626 Posts

Posted - November 03 2008 :  7:42:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He is an amazing man. Too bad that I did not recognize it when I was younger...
Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

32600 Posts

Posted - November 03 2008 :  9:12:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
we rarely do-my Dad had been involved in building the trigger to the Bomb. My Father-in-Law would have been in the 1st wave of the invasion of Japan and my wife wasn't born until 1946.

If it hadn't been for the bomb my wife would not have been born.

"The greatest thing a Father can do for his children is to love their Mother."

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
8038 Posts

Posted - November 04 2008 :  5:23:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Evan

we rarely do-my Dad had been involved in building the trigger to the Bomb. My Father-in-Law would have been in the 1st wave of the invasion of Japan and my wife wasn't born until 1946.

If it hadn't been for the bomb my wife would not have been born.

There are several of us, I think, who fall in that category! I owe all to Harry Truman and Paul Tibbets! (and the folks that made it all possible).

Jim H.

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!
Go to Top of Page

dspaulding

USA
626 Posts

Posted - November 04 2008 :  6:30:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like SIG...Simple Is Good! I said it before the SIG Academy and can prove it, by the way...

Not that it matters...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-09 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.14seconds. Snitz Forums 2000