Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Quotes to remember
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Other
 Miscellaneous
 Quotes to remember
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 11

billmc

510 Posts

Posted - December 17 2012 :  10:55:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We the unknowing, lead by the unwilling, have done so much, for so long, with so little, are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

A sign I once read in a gov't office.
Go to Top of Page

AnalyticType

USA
78 Posts

Posted - December 26 2012 :  9:34:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Creeping insularity is commonplace for leaders. One of the best ways to fight it is to have all the questions, not all the answers." - Jack Welch

"Now the reason the enlightened prince and the wise general conquer the enemy whenever they move, and their achievements surpass those of ordinary men, is foreknowledge." - Sun Tzu

"Be daring, be different, be impractical, be anything that will assert integrity of purpose and imaginative vision against the play-it-safers, the creatures of the commonplace, the slaves of the ordinary." ~~ Sir Cecil Walter Hardy Beaton

"[...] it wasn’t the gun. It was the shooter. As it always is." -- Michael Walsh (PJ Media) regarding the Moscone-Milk shooting.
Go to Top of Page

AnalyticType

USA
78 Posts

Posted - December 26 2012 :  11:13:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Knowledge is never too dear." - Sir Francis Walsingham

"Intelligence analysts worth their salt will consider all hypotheses consistent with all available data in that process, including the outliers." -- me

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle

"Be daring, be different, be impractical, be anything that will assert integrity of purpose and imaginative vision against the play-it-safers, the creatures of the commonplace, the slaves of the ordinary." ~~ Sir Cecil Walter Hardy Beaton

"[...] it wasn’t the gun. It was the shooter. As it always is." -- Michael Walsh (PJ Media) regarding the Moscone-Milk shooting.
Go to Top of Page

AnalyticType

USA
78 Posts

Posted - December 26 2012 :  11:17:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Duty is not collective. Duty is individual." - Calvin Coolidge

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light." - George Washington

Go to Top of Page

AnalyticType

USA
78 Posts

Posted - December 26 2012 :  11:19:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

"Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but we rather have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit." - Aristotle

Go to Top of Page

AnalyticType

USA
78 Posts

Posted - December 26 2012 :  11:57:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

"The marvel of all history is the patience with which men and women submit to burdens unnecessarily laid upon them by their governments." - George Washington

"Every good citizen makes his country's honor his own, and cherishes it not only as precious but as sacred. He is willing to risk his life in its defense and its conscious that he gains protection while he gives it." - Andrew Jackson

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

"Before all else, be armed." - Niccolo Machiavelli

"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country." - George S. Patton

"The nation which forgets its defenders will be itself forgotten." - Calvin Coolidge

Go to Top of Page

AnalyticType

USA
78 Posts

Posted - December 27 2012 :  02:44:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Even an avowed communist can nail it correctly every once in a while:

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place." - George Bernard Shaw

Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

34114 Posts

Posted - December 27 2012 :  09:05:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"The difference between Genius and Stupidity is that Genius has it's limits"

Einstein

'

"The greatest thing a Father can do for his children is to love their Mother."

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

AnalyticType

USA
78 Posts

Posted - December 27 2012 :  3:45:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Put another way by the same esteemed individual:

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

Go to Top of Page

AnalyticType

USA
78 Posts

Posted - December 27 2012 :  4:18:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Two more quotes from Einstein that are favorites of mine:

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning."

and

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be."

Go to Top of Page

AnalyticType

USA
78 Posts

Posted - December 27 2012 :  5:19:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"He that struggles with us strengthens our nerves, and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper." - Edmund Burke

"You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength." - Marcus Aurelius

"The strength of a nation derives from the integrity of the home." - Confucius

Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

34114 Posts

Posted - December 27 2012 :  8:15:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"You're in range before you're in focus"

My oldest daughter, Melissa Wall,to a group of women at the local Mormon Church.

'

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

Keeb

USA
1320 Posts

Posted - December 27 2012 :  10:46:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous
by letting the Government take care of him, better take
a closer look at the American Indian."

Go to Top of Page

Frogfoot

USA
831 Posts

Posted - December 28 2012 :  01:45:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The tree of liberalism is watered with the blood of innocents. - Some guy on Breitbart

We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give. - Sir Winston Churchill
Go to Top of Page

AnalyticType

USA
78 Posts

Posted - December 28 2012 :  02:32:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

"You can tell the strength of a nation by the women behind its men." - Benjamin Disraeli

Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

34114 Posts

Posted - December 28 2012 :  10:09:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Every time I see a man in his casket I envy him."
Brigham Young on polygamy

"I teach them correct principles and they govern themselves."
Joseph Smith

"No success can compensate for failure in the home"
David O McKay

"Some people just need to be shot"
Porter Rockwell

"Think we ought to call for backup?"
me in the middle of a Black Panther ambush

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

mojo
Advanced Member

USA
2911 Posts

Posted - December 28 2012 :  2:08:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That the people have a Right to mass and to bear arms; that a well regulated militia composed of the Body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper natural and safe defense of a free State...

George Mason

Texas and Louisiana Concealed handgun instructor.

NRA Certified Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearm Safety, Personal Protection and Refuse to be a Victim instructor.

NRA Endowment member.

Disabled U. S. Army Veteran 1St Cav and 82nd Airborne 1967-1970.
Go to Top of Page

AnalyticType

USA
78 Posts

Posted - December 30 2012 :  2:29:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This one will always be my favorite, for it reflects my own viewpoint and that of my father, and also my maternal grandfather who came here from the old country escaping the Bolsheviks.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” - Samuel Adams

Edited by - AnalyticType on December 30 2012 2:32:31 PM
Go to Top of Page

bandaidman
Advanced Member

USA
1309 Posts

Posted - December 30 2012 :  10:40:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The future of this world has long been declared; the final outcome between good and evil is already known. There is absolutely no question as to who wins because the victory has already been posted on the scoreboard. The only really strange thing in all of this is that we are still down here on the field trying to decide which team’s jersey we want to wear!: Elder Jeffrey R. Holland

“If for a while the harder you try, the harder it gets, take heart. So it has been with the best people who ever lived.
Jeffery Holland
Go to Top of Page

mojo
Advanced Member

USA
2911 Posts

Posted - December 30 2012 :  11:40:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as FREEDOM should not be highly rated. Britain, with an army to enforce her tyranny, has declared that she has a right (not only to TAX) but "to BIND us in ALL CASES WHATSOEVER" and if being bound in that manner, is not slavery, then is there not such a thing as slavery upon earth. Even the expression is impious; for so unlimited a power can belong only to God.

-Thomas Paine

Texas and Louisiana Concealed handgun instructor.

NRA Certified Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearm Safety, Personal Protection and Refuse to be a Victim instructor.

NRA Endowment member.

Disabled U. S. Army Veteran 1St Cav and 82nd Airborne 1967-1970.
Go to Top of Page

Ammoload518

USA
182 Posts

Posted - December 31 2012 :  9:25:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
“To err is human, to forgive is divine” “neither of which are Marine Corps policy”
Go to Top of Page

AnalyticType

USA
78 Posts

Posted - January 08 2013 :  7:02:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

"Never put off for tomorrow what you can do today cuz, if you liked it today, you can do it again tomorrow." -- me

Go to Top of Page

RandyB45
Advanced Member

2413 Posts

Posted - January 08 2013 :  7:30:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No. -Me
Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

34114 Posts

Posted - January 11 2013 :  12:19:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"When the Mayor dials 911, the phone rings here."

me-sign in my office at the Special Response Team in Detroit

"Be careful that when you hunt Monsters you do not become a Monster yourself. Remember when you stare into the Abyss, the Abyss stares back."

Nietzsche-a sign next to my desk in Homicide

"At least the Titanic had a band!"

another sign next to my desk at Homicide

"The only difference between this place and the Boy Scouts of America in that the Scouts require adult supervision."

another sign next to my desk at Homicide

"No intelligent man or woman should ever take a handgun to a gunfight with any degree of enthusiasm."

by me-a sign in my office at the Puzzle Palace

"If you're in a gunfight and you're not cheating, you're not winning."

by me, in my office at the Puzzle Palace

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

RandyB45
Advanced Member

2413 Posts

Posted - January 11 2013 :  4:46:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You should have put up the Titanic sign there....

I hope you still aren't mad at me for dragging you and Ed into that mess.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.73seconds. Snitz Forums 2000