Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Wife saw the light
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Real World
 Gals & Guns
 Wife saw the light
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

flteng
Starting Member

15 Posts

Posted - April 14 2008 :  5:12:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My wife grew up with an anti gun mother and she too was not crazy about having guns in the house. Over the years she tolerated the firearms. One night while I was working the night shift someone attempted to break in my home while my wife and young son were home alone. She of course armed herself and due to safety items recommended by the sheriffs office( window lock brackets) the subject was unable to gain entry. After that episode it was like a TV preacher healing! FEEL THE POWER OF S&W! Yeah! She is a changed women and slept with the pistol close at hand while I worked. After that I did make lots of noise when returning home; coughing, jiggling keys and anouncing myself. Never since has she given me grief about carrying or having guns in the house.

nsmike

644 Posts

Posted - April 14 2008 :  5:40:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A conversion made without tragedy, is a welcome conversion, welcome to the site.
Mike
Go to Top of Page

enidpd804
Advanced Member

1758 Posts

Posted - April 14 2008 :  8:38:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent.

Warren
Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

34114 Posts

Posted - April 15 2008 :  05:54:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
we were married almsot 40 yrs before my wife decided to take the plunge and get her ccw-cost me my 640 Smith-it's worth it

"The greatest thing a Father can do for his children is to love their Mother."

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

esq_stu

USA
907 Posts

Posted - April 15 2008 :  12:21:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Evan

we were married almsot 40 yrs before my wife decided to take the plunge and get her ccw-cost me my 640 Smith-it's worth it

It's been about 30 years since my wife went to a range with me and tried a gun. (I foolishly had her shooting a Colt Gov't her first and only time).

OK, so I'll wait a little longer.

Kol Tuv (All the best!)

-- esq_stu

Go to Top of Page

enidpd804
Advanced Member

1758 Posts

Posted - April 15 2008 :  6:38:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I helped my wife get her carry permit about a year ago. I even paid for it out of my spending money. I walked her through all of the administrative hoops and rigged up a James Bond-like holster setup in her vehicle (she didn't want to carry on her person, but I figured: babysteps are better than no steps). She works for a local business where she supervises several different outlets and has to travel between them. A few months ago, they had a disgruntled mentally ill customer start making veiled threats and hanging around the stores. My wife thanked me and said she was relieved to have her SP101 and her permit. One step closer...

Warren
Go to Top of Page

Derori

USA
550 Posts

Posted - April 15 2008 :  8:08:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A young woman in Wichita a few months back woke in the night to the sound of a window breaking. Unfortunately, she didn't even have time to finish dialing 911 before they were on her. I tried to make a point of telling all the women in my life that she could have picked up a gun just as quickly as the phone. Then she might have had time to dial after that.
Go to Top of Page

Srigs
Advanced Member

USA
1061 Posts

Posted - April 16 2008 :  07:29:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My wife just turned the corner and will be getting her carry permit this summer. Only problem is she really like sigs Oh well the price I pay.

Srigs

Edited by - Srigs on April 16 2008 07:31:02 AM
Go to Top of Page

RandyB45
Advanced Member

2413 Posts

Posted - February 07 2011 :  10:30:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mine just woke up to all this. It's gonna cost one me one of my compact 9s. She wants to upgrade from her M36.
Go to Top of Page

bandaidman
Advanced Member

USA
1309 Posts

Posted - February 08 2011 :  12:47:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

It's been about 30 years since my wife went to a range with me and tried a gun. (I foolishly had her shooting a Colt Gov't her first and only time).

OK, so I'll wait a little longer.
[/quote]
I made the same mistake only with a Browning Hi Power that bit and twisted. She will shoot my 44 mag but not the auto's. Just won't carry or desire to shoot that much. Had a break in couple of blocks away yesterday, woman with gun only threatened perp then fought her and took it away. Then supposedly tried to shoot her and then ran away. Total story not quite all there. Having a talk with my wife about incident and what really to do.

“If for a while the harder you try, the harder it gets, take heart. So it has been with the best people who ever lived.
Jeffery Holland
Go to Top of Page

Dov
Advanced Member

USA
2638 Posts

Posted - February 08 2011 :  2:40:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'vs been lucky that way, my SO likes shooting. Bought her own G26 & G19, but I didn't try to introduce her by myself into guns. Took her along with friends wife to private mini class by female instructor. So they got introduction to guns & ability to try several different types of handguns without men around. Don't know if that mattered.

I did put the money down on the 20 gauge 11-87 for her, since I couldn't find a carbine/rifle that she liked. After handling the 20 gauge she bought it and now says she likes the 20 guage more than her 9mms.
Go to Top of Page

Arvinator
Advanced Member

USA
5252 Posts

Posted - February 08 2011 :  4:06:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Right after my wife and I got married, we had a prowler one night. Before I coudl get home from work, she had herself and the son behind the couch end, in the dark room, with lights on in other rooms and outside. She also had my old .22 revolver loaded with stingers in her hands.
Today, it may be a K/T P-32 or a snubbie I have stashed, and her health is not good. At least she knows where they are stashed and has grabbed one in the past. WHEN she was in better health, I kept several handguns out that I know she has fired hidden and handy.

Be honest, fair, and always prepared...
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Advanced Member

USA
4008 Posts

Posted - February 08 2011 :  6:07:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't feel nervous at all with a fully stoked Kel-Tec and other smaller pistols, when things go "BUMP",if I was not physically able to manipulate larger framed pistols and revolvers.
All to often WE, "think" WE know best. Um, no we don't.
My wife was a reluctant "convert" after we were married, until we had a drunken Japanese tourist try to force his way into our hotel room while on a trip to San Francisco, many years ago. She has her own "insurance" now, and religiously carries.(legally of course with her permit)

"The measure of a man's character, is how he treats someone who can do nothing for him." (unknown)
Go to Top of Page

Muleskinner

USA
818 Posts

Posted - February 09 2011 :  01:28:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Several years ago, I was very happy when my wife decided that she would start to carry. She wanted something small that didn't kick hard so we started off with her carrying a KelTec P-32 in her purse.

For Christmas a few years ago I got her a S&W 642. She didn't like it as much as the 32 because it was bigger and heavier. A couple of years back I finally convinced her to start carrying the 642 and we went purse shopping to find one that had a zippered pocket inside that would fit the J-frame. I haven't heard a complaint since and she carries it everywhere she goes.

Last month, she and her sister were walking out of a local hospital and through an adjoining parking garage. Her sister commented "it probably isn't so smart for a couple of 'old ladies' to be out here this late at night". My wife's comment, "if it makes you feel any better, I'm packing a gun" surprised her sis, who then asked "where do you carry it?" She told her that it is always in her purse, but before they left the hospital room, she slipped it into her coat pocket where she could keep her hand on it. Those were real words of comfort to me.

Now if I could just get her to move up to a G-19 in the purse, the 642 tucked under her blouse, and the P-32 on her ankle.....

Each of us is an innkeeper, and we decide if there is room for Jesus..... Neal A. Maxwell
Go to Top of Page

Ranger77

USA
95 Posts

Posted - February 10 2011 :  12:06:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My lovely bride began her carry career early as I was frequently abroad. She carried on most of the gun safety training in my absence. She is the lady of my dreams... which is to say she routinely out shoots me.

...defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic...
Go to Top of Page

Dominic R
Starting Member

40 Posts

Posted - June 29 2011 :  5:14:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A recent thread on the Cop Corner forum reminded me of this old thread.

You guys are lucky.

My wife absolutely hates the fact that I carry, and never passes up an opportunity to ridicule me for it. She complains bitterly when I want to spend money to take a training course, and forget about giving me a gift certificate for a gun shop for Christmas or my birthday. She really piles on the criticism if she sees me with two guns.

I have carried every day since our state changed from discretionary permits (which actually meant "impossible" in the larger cities), to must issue, in 2003. I have never given her any reason to think I should not be carrying. No ADs or NDs; no sloppy gun handling. I've had quite a bit of training with Mas Ayoob and John and Vicki Farnam. I've discussed this with Vicki Farnam, hoping she might have some advice, but she seemed to think my wife was beyond hope.

To keep the criticism at a minimum, I try to not let her see me gear up in the morning. It actually has made me better at concealing my guns. I can hug and kiss her when I leave, and she does not see or bump into either of them. I'm sure she knows I'm carrying, but if she doesn't see or feel them, it doesn't give her a reason to start criticizing. I know I should be more direct with her, but quite honestly, who wants to be constantly told they are rediculous by their wife?

She knows that violent crime can happen to anybody, anywhere, but she is not willing to examine how a gun can be useful to avoid becoming a victim. Sometimes I think she would rather be a victim, or at least have me be a victim, than have to explain to her liberal friends and coworkers why her husband used an evil gun for self defense.

By the way, she likes to call this website "that vigilante website"!!

I'm not sure why I'm posting this. I'm not really looking for tips on how to convert her, because I think it is impossible to do so. And I hope that posting this doesn't make me sound amatuerish or unprofessional. I take this stuff very seriously. I know there are other guys in the same boat; her cousin is the same with her husband. I consider everyone on this board as a friend, and perhaps I am looking for company for my misery.

On the other hand, as Evan would say: I'm a big boy, I can take it; now what's for lunch?
Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

34114 Posts

Posted - June 29 2011 :  6:02:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
we love who we love and are humbled by their talents and live with the rest.

My wife thought she was marrying a lawyer-cops is more betta

"The greatest thing a Father can do for his children is to love their Mother."

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

Dominic R
Starting Member

40 Posts

Posted - June 29 2011 :  6:58:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by Evan

How true. I love my wife dearly. She has many excellent talents that have enriched my life tremendously.
Go to Top of Page

Slick
Advanced Member

USA
3386 Posts

Posted - June 30 2011 :  12:59:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hang in there my friend, I guess it's in the Grand Scheme of things for you to be her protector. It is what it is...
Best of luck,
Slick

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Go to Top of Page

jle3030
Advanced Member

USA
4989 Posts

Posted - June 30 2011 :  2:02:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dominic R

[quote]Originally posted by Evan

How true. I love my wife dearly. She has many excellent talents that have enriched my life tremendously.

With luck she'll never have to discover how wrong she is about guns,CCW, and self defense.

Jeff

jle3030
Go to Top of Page

devildog24
Starting Member

18 Posts

Posted - November 27 2011 :  9:36:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My wife was anti-gun when we married. Didn't even want the kids to have toy guns. So I educated her ....slowly. Long story short she has been packing for 25 years now, likes her 442 and can shoot it well at self-defense distance. She is also proficient with glocks but likes to carry the snubbie.

marine:best friend, worst enemy
Go to Top of Page

Muleskinner

USA
818 Posts

Posted - November 27 2011 :  11:59:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A few months ago I bought a Renegade ankle holster for my sweetheart. She had been complaining about how heavy her purse was with her 642 in it. Part of the weight issue was due to a deer/motorcycle accident we had in August. She has a broken kneecap and walking is still painful for her.

I have been wearing a Renegade for several years and love it, but wasn't too sure how well she would like it on her ankle. I have been pleasantly surprised. If she is wearing pants for the day, her J frame gets strapped on just after she slips on her shoes. She has commented to me many times how comfortable it is and how good she feels having it with her all of the time. Her other issue about purse carry is that she was nervous about setting her purse down with a gun in it. I really would prefer that it be in her purse when she is out and about, but she is willing to carry her KelTec .32 there, if it is not in a jacket pocket.

Each of us is an innkeeper, and we decide if there is room for Jesus..... Neal A. Maxwell
Go to Top of Page

Dov
Advanced Member

USA
2638 Posts

Posted - November 28 2011 :  04:29:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dominic R

A recent thread on the Cop Corner forum reminded me of this old thread.

You guys are lucky.

My wife absolutely hates the fact that I carry, and never passes up an opportunity to ridicule me for it. She complains bitterly when I want to spend money to take a training course, and forget about giving me a gift certificate for a gun shop for Christmas or my birthday. She really piles on the criticism if she sees me with two guns.

I have carried every day since our state changed from discretionary permits (which actually meant "impossible" in the larger cities), to must issue, in 2003. I have never given her any reason to think I should not be carrying. No ADs or NDs; no sloppy gun handling. I've had quite a bit of training with Mas Ayoob and John and Vicki Farnam. I've discussed this with Vicki Farnam, hoping she might have some advice, but she seemed to think my wife was beyond hope.

To keep the criticism at a minimum, I try to not let her see me gear up in the morning. It actually has made me better at concealing my guns. I can hug and kiss her when I leave, and she does not see or bump into either of them. I'm sure she knows I'm carrying, but if she doesn't see or feel them, it doesn't give her a reason to start criticizing. I know I should be more direct with her, but quite honestly, who wants to be constantly told they are rediculous by their wife?

She knows that violent crime can happen to anybody, anywhere, but she is not willing to examine how a gun can be useful to avoid becoming a victim. Sometimes I think she would rather be a victim, or at least have me be a victim, than have to explain to her liberal friends and coworkers why her husband used an evil gun for self defense.

By the way, she likes to call this website "that vigilante website"!!

I'm not sure why I'm posting this. I'm not really looking for tips on how to convert her, because I think it is impossible to do so. And I hope that posting this doesn't make me sound amatuerish or unprofessional. I take this stuff very seriously. I know there are other guys in the same boat; her cousin is the same with her husband. I consider everyone on this board as a friend, and perhaps I am looking for company for my misery.

Men & women tend to think differently, as a general aid to that I can recommend the book "Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus".

Women tend to be more concerned about the safety of firearms than men. In my experience if you address safety concerns most women are okay with CCW.

The only real exceptions I have encountered are ones that have had personal traumatic experience with a gun I(e stupid gun handling with a ND or someone they knew suicided with a gun), or they have been victimized by men.

The ones who were abused see guns as a another male power tool for control.

I have met some women that were opposed to violence in general, but they could be convinced pretty easily by logic. My standard argument of "how would even an athletic female defend herself from a high school football player that wanted to harm her" has not really been countered yet. They have all admitted a woman would need a tool or other people to help her in that situation.

So you can present the concept of a gun for personal defense as a tool of empowerment.

Now not all of them are comfortable with the idea of using lethal force, and I know men as well that feel that way. I respect that, thought I don't agree with it.

We have to remember that a lot of people have been luckier than us, they haven't seen just how ugly & violent people can be to each other.

Without that key truth, one really can't understand the need for lethal force in certain circumstances.

But then most people don't understand the effort or risk that is involved in arresting & cuffing one person let alone a group of "nice" people.

[edited for clarity and typos]

Edited by - Dov on November 28 2011 04:42:36 AM
Go to Top of Page

exfed2002
Advanced Member

1220 Posts

Posted - November 28 2011 :  05:13:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by devildog24

Didn't even want the kids to have toy guns.

Way back when, I had a math teacher like that. Except he was a LCDR in the Navy reserve.

He felt the same way. He told his kids that they would get real guns when they were old enough. Not to be unreasonable, he told them that if they wanted toy guns, they could have them. The proviso was that they would treat as if they were real, with all safety issues covered, no horseplay, etc. They waited.

Even though this was near 50 years ago, you can already anticipate that he was not a popular teacher among certain groups of his co-workers.

I, however, thought he was great.

My wife, on the other hand, is a lost cause.

"The answer is there is no answer."

Edited by - exfed2002 on November 28 2011 05:14:28 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.27seconds. Snitz Forums 2000