Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - .32 H&R Mag vs. .22 Mag
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Stopping Power
 Stopping Power
 .32 H&R Mag vs. .22 Mag
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ten Driver
Advanced Member

1117 Posts

Posted - May 05 2007 :  02:22:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Folks,

I have a close friend who is in the process of choosing a revolver for self defense. He has narrowed the choices down to two similar revolvers, one chambered in .32 H&R Magnum and the other in .22 Magnum.

As you have probably surmised, recoil is a significant issue, and it has driven him to these calibers. He will not consider a mildly-loaded .38 Special. He is also insistent on using a revolver.

So, my question for the learned members of the forum is this: Which of these calibers would be a more suitable choice for self defense?

I note that the muzzle energy figures give the nod to the .22 Magnum, but I know that is not the only, or even the most significant factor. I'm interested in your thoughts.

Many thanks for your replies,
V/R
Mike

mecheng
Average Member

USA
437 Posts

Posted - May 05 2007 :  03:17:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If absolutely limited to those two choices then the .32 H&R wins hands down. It fires heavier bullets and has a big advantage as far as reliability of ignition goes. The energy figures quoted in ballistics charts are based on rifle data and should be significantly less in a revolver.
Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

32449 Posts

Posted - May 05 2007 :  05:57:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would agree-CB might produce a DPX .32 Mag

"The greatest thing a Father can do for his children is to love their Mother."

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

Chuck
Advanced Member

USA
3257 Posts

Posted - May 05 2007 :  08:38:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I shoot a S&W 642 .38 but use a 317 .22lr for an understudy training gun, both due to ammo costs and for recoil mitigation.

Not sure of your friends resources, but she should seriously consider a .32/.22 combo for SD and training. If she gets good quality trigger time in with a .22, then practices enough with the .32mag to be familiar with the recoil, she would be well ahead of the curve.

I agree that the .32 has the advantage in wound ballistics. The rounds will have similar velocities with the weight advantage obviously going to the .32mag.
As stated, ignition reliability is also an issue.
I have noted that the S&W .22 J frames seem to have a much tougher trigger than the centerfire models. My understanding is that this is due to needing the extra thump to insure that the rimfire primers go bang when struck.

Something to think about.
Go to Top of Page

retDAC
Average Member

USA
370 Posts

Posted - May 05 2007 :  5:37:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IF he has to have a scandium framed 2", then .32 gets my vote as a primary. If he is getting a steel framed gun, he'd better get a .38 and use the std pressure lighter wt HPs. FWIW, in a scandium S&W 332 with hard plastic grips (NOT rubber), the 100-105 gr HPs will sting your hand; 85 gr HPs don't.

Keep in mind grips make a big difference in felt recoil to most folks.

Where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.
Best of Luck in Your Honorable Endeavors!
Dave McDaniel
Go to Top of Page

Ten Driver
Advanced Member

1117 Posts

Posted - May 05 2007 :  9:58:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks to all for your replies! As always, you have been very helpful!

V/R
Mike

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-09 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.17seconds. Snitz Forums 2000