StoppingPower.net Forums
Home
Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Profanity-again!
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Other
 Miscellaneous
 Profanity-again!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Evan
Administrator

34114 Posts

Posted - April 18 2007 :  09:26:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rule #1 is not here because I blush or faint everytime I hear or read one. I was a Detroit Cop for 20 yrs and have heard every filthy word ever spoken.

This is my house and you are welcome here until you violate my rules-I'm convinced we can engage in intelligent and worthwhile discouse without such words.

Yesterday I was contacted my members of the national media-twice-to get comments on the VA Incident-both Big Name media types mentioned this website. Do I expect to convert any of these folks? no, but I never want anything to appear here that can be used to further gun confiscation (WHICH IS THEIR REAL GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) in the USA.

"The greatest thing a Father can do for his children is to love their Mother."

Harold B. Lee

ber950
Average Member

USA
362 Posts

Posted - April 18 2007 :  3:37:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No problem here. I was taught it demonstrated a limited vocabulary.

God, Guns, and Guts made America free. Let's keep all three.
Go to Top of Page

smoky14

240 Posts

Posted - April 18 2007 :  4:13:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Evan: My grand child questioned me about the language in the "Hurt myself" thread in Training. Looks like pushing the envelope.
Thanks Smoky

Edited by - smoky14 on April 18 2007 4:18:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

34114 Posts

Posted - April 18 2007 :  4:18:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Smoky-did a search and could not find it

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

HEMI

Canada
881 Posts

Posted - April 18 2007 :  4:45:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To bad other gun forums don't have the same foresight,that's what makes this forum #1 in my books.

kev
Go to Top of Page

perrodelucha

USA
927 Posts

Posted - April 18 2007 :  9:56:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Evan,
you run a great site here. please don't change a thing. you are correct to have the rules you do in place. it keeps people who have nothing else to say away and makes for intelligent conversation. thanks alot. UNZERBRECHLICH
Go to Top of Page

smoky14

240 Posts

Posted - April 19 2007 :  08:21:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Evan: The word "friggin" was what caught her attention.
Go to Top of Page

jle3030
Advanced Member

USA
4989 Posts

Posted - April 19 2007 :  9:31:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been known to get a little salty at times, but I must agree that Rule 1 is probably the biggest single factor in the decorum of this forum.

Ummm... apologies for that last phrase. It wasn't meant to sound that way....

Jeff

jle3030
Go to Top of Page

varetfed

USA
139 Posts

Posted - April 23 2007 :  8:50:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gentlemen,

May I add my two cents - I too served in law enforcement for 28 years and heard every evil and vile word known to man - in several languages. I have even used a few of those words myself. Having said that, I must agree that this forum is refreshing in that it is free of profanity - even those words with a double meaning. Evan, this is your house and you run it as you see fit - I strongly endorce your policy - please keep up the good work. Take care and stay safe.

VARETFED
Go to Top of Page

BlackViking

USA
154 Posts

Posted - April 27 2007 :  6:59:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Evan -
One of the primary reasons I registered on this site is the distinct lack
of any profanity, and general nonsense that other forums seem to allow! I
"signed up" mainly to learn and to interact with folks that know a lot more
than I do, not to see who has the highest "vulgarity index"! Please keep the
site just the way it is!

jpkout

"My liberty is NOT a "loophole"! - G. Gordon Liddy
Go to Top of Page

Arvinator
Advanced Member

USA
5252 Posts

Posted - March 08 2008 :  1:40:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I find that most loud mouths and filthy talkers are just that...Loud mouth filthy talkers. I am new, and not sure what's on the plate but this website looks like a chance for real men to discuss issues that help us out. I don't think anyone needs help in profanity use with what we see and hear today.
Thanks for the opportunity for me to learn and respond on this website.

Be honest, fair, and always prepared...
Go to Top of Page

HenryJ
Average Member

400 Posts

Posted - March 08 2008 :  8:40:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've always enjoyed the civilised behavior here, and the friends I've made, but there is noting like a grandson at the "parrot" stage to recalibrate your language.

Keep the lever gun handy (next to the revolver)
Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

34114 Posts

Posted - March 09 2008 :  05:28:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the key is simply that there are a ton of potential converts to a progun cause and acting like a bunch of uneducated, foul mouthed knuckle draggers is stupid in the extreme.

soon we'll see terrorism here in force and on a regular basis and people will either catch the vision of self defense or they'll die.

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

Gossamer
Average Member

USA
283 Posts

Posted - March 09 2008 :  12:44:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am guilty of having a foul mouth from time to time however, I always thought that you never curse infront of somone unless they do it first. Since no one can curse here I cannot understand why people would even start? Mr. Marshall runs a good site here I hope that we don't screw it up.

Go to Top of Page

lenandbear

USA
72 Posts

Posted - March 09 2008 :  12:45:34 PM  Show Profile  Send lenandbear an AOL message  Send lenandbear a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Evan

the key is simply that there are a ton of potential converts to a progun cause and acting like a bunch of uneducated, foul mouthed knuckle draggers is stupid in the extreme.

soon we'll see terrorism here in force and on a regular basis and people will either catch the vision of self defense or they'll die.

If someone has to die, I will make it an exreme effort tht it will not be me or one of my protected ones, that includes Bear.

If you have no money and few possessions and you have a dog you are still RICH
Go to Top of Page

Mall Ninja
Starting Member

USA
11 Posts

Posted - January 16 2009 :  2:06:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The lack of profanity here does seem to keep the discussions from turning into arguements and battles of ego. It is evident to me that the people here have the same goal, to survive in a cruel and violent world. Great job Evan! I respect what you are doing here.
Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

34114 Posts

Posted - January 16 2009 :  3:40:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

BobK
Advanced Member

USA
1983 Posts

Posted - January 16 2009 :  9:02:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Always seems to be a new member that assumes the rules here are the same as elsewhere so they don't bother to read them. Some people must learn the hard way.

The caliber of the man counts more than the caliber of his gun.
Go to Top of Page

CharlieX

USA
781 Posts

Posted - January 17 2009 :  1:38:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mall Ninja

The lack of profanity here does seem to keep the discussions from turning into arguements and battles of ego. It is evident to me that the people here have the same goal, to survive in a cruel and violent world. Great job Evan! I respect what you are doing here.

Excellent post, MallNinja-

Simply because of the civility, this is the only website that I particpate in anymore. The knowledge to be gained here is appreciable if one simply takes the time to read the posts even for "know it alls" like "yours truly".-me

I have given up even persuing all but one of the "others" as they are absolutely seeping with hubris, profanity and vitriol and the high "noise to signal ratio" and boorish behaviour reflect far too negatively on our cause and have served only to drive me away from them -most likely forever.

I am always surprised by those who violate the rules here since they are prominently displayed. Gotta agree with BobK on this one; some folks just don't bother to read them.

Thanks for a polite and very professionally operated 'site Evan!

Go to Top of Page

wj

USA
163 Posts

Posted - January 17 2009 :  10:04:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Evan, I also have been working in the system for many years. I also have heard it "all". As a pastor I welcome a place where I don't have to "screen" information to share with others. You are doing a GREAT job. Keep up the good work. We will need this venue, I fear, more and more as time goes on. God bless you all. Wm.
Go to Top of Page

ClarkK
Average Member

USA
317 Posts

Posted - January 18 2009 :  10:16:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BobK

Always seems to be a new member that assumes the rules here are the same as elsewhere so they don't bother to read them. Some people must learn the hard way.

That's me. One of my first postings here some years back included a link to a news story I assumed would be of interest to everyone. Only after Evan pointed out Rule #5 did I then go back and read all of the rules.

Truly a unique forum. It's also the one I visit most frequently.

We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.28seconds. Snitz Forums 2000