Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - S&W 469
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 Pistol Palace
 S&W 469
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cyberhick
Average Member

USA
267 Posts

Posted - April 04 2007 :  3:02:34 PM  Show Profile  Send cyberhick an AOL message  Click to see cyberhick's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Saw one the other day and i'm just curious about them. It was in good condition and was $275. Is this a good handgun?

cyberhick

Fatherhood rocks!

JohnS
Advanced Member

USA
1792 Posts

Posted - April 04 2007 :  3:14:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a 669 -stainless version. It worked well but the grip felt like a 2x4.
Go to Top of Page

MikeG
Average Member

USA
327 Posts

Posted - April 04 2007 :  6:37:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Likewise. I had one ( a S&W 469) but could never warm up to it because of the way it felt in my hands. I traded it off.

Edited by - MikeG on April 04 2007 6:37:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

TimM

USA
918 Posts

Posted - April 04 2007 :  8:03:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carried a 669 on duty for many years. Never cared for the grip, however it always went bang. You could do worse.

Tim
Go to Top of Page

Chuck
Advanced Member

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - April 08 2007 :  10:19:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've found the 2nd and 3rd Generation S&Ws across the board to be reliable, easy to work on, durable.
The price is decent, lower than some other guns due to the number of traded in S&Ws on the market.
An example would be that our guys were able to buy their old duty S&Ws back from the vendor we traded to for our new Glocks, price was $250 plus tax.
Don't let the price scare you if you want the gun.

Grip, feel, etc., is a highly individual taste.
Go to Top of Page

Bill D
Advanced Member

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - April 09 2007 :  12:49:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a S&W 669, and for me the grip is fine, I just don't like the S&W first shot trigger pull. Nice gun. I wonder if the 469 is lighter then the stainless, would make it better. Nice gun. Bill

Bill D
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Advanced Member

USA
4076 Posts

Posted - April 09 2007 :  11:06:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some of the 469's had a problem with frame cracking that was subject to a well-known factory recall.(Yep, I had one, and it cracked)
Then, I was only carrying Federal 9BP 115 JHP loads. I didn't think it should have cracked, however, Smith and Wesson, gave me a NEW 6904 frame with my old serial number rollmarked on it. I still have it, and it works just fine. It's very accurate and it still is effective.

"The measure of a man's character, is how he treats someone who can do nothing for him." (unknown)
Go to Top of Page

cyberhick
Average Member

USA
267 Posts

Posted - April 09 2007 :  12:42:21 PM  Show Profile  Send cyberhick an AOL message  Click to see cyberhick's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I called S&W and asked about it, the guy on the other line was clueless and just said becareful about the aluminum frame.

Fatherhood rocks!
Go to Top of Page

GLV

USA
8866 Posts

Posted - April 09 2007 :  8:03:24 PM  Show Profile  Send GLV an ICQ Message  Send GLV a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Malcolm, what was the time frame on the 'recall'?

I was a S&W dealer from 82 until I retired in 98 and do not remember a recall on the 469/669 series of guns. Thanks, George

'the world is round everywhere'

'The meek will inherit the earth, but only after the last soldier has left it to them in his will'
Go to Top of Page

Biggfoot44
Advanced Member

2233 Posts

Posted - April 11 2007 :  01:04:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Had a 469. The grip feel is problematical when handling, put actually feels beter when firing. FWIW the 469/669 had most of the accuracy enhancements that were later encorperated into 3rd gen guns. The right side saftey levers have a tendency to unscrew, and fall off, but will work fine without them.
So yes , it's decent gun, seems like good price.

Edited by - Biggfoot44 on April 11 2007 01:07:00 AM
Go to Top of Page

Srigs
Advanced Member

USA
1061 Posts

Posted - April 12 2007 :  9:16:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good price for a good gun. I have a 3rd gen 6946 version and works as a good medium sized carry gun.

Srigs
Go to Top of Page

HadEmAll

128 Posts

Posted - April 18 2007 :  01:15:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had both a 469 and 669. Though the 669 has a stainless slide, the frame is alloy just like the 469. So essentially the same weight. Both perfectly reliable with the CCI Blazer 115 grn JHPs and Federal 9BPs I used back then.
Go to Top of Page

fsilber

USA
531 Posts

Posted - April 18 2007 :  11:21:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's funny. I've never shot one, but I've handled them at gun shows, and the grip feels just fine to me. But for some reason, the single-stack S&W pistols are the one's which don't seem to want to settle in my hands.
Go to Top of Page

Bill D
Advanced Member

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - April 20 2007 :  01:23:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HadEmAll, Thanks for that info on the weight on the 469/669. Bill

Bill D
Go to Top of Page

cyberhick
Average Member

USA
267 Posts

Posted - April 20 2007 :  11:18:37 AM  Show Profile  Send cyberhick an AOL message  Click to see cyberhick's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Well, I went back and I ended up waiting too long and it was gone. I was actually looking at it for a buddy because he's begun the process to get a cpl and needs a weapon or 3. I have been looking at 59xx and 69xx police trade in's and I believe I will order one soon, just not sure which one. I'm going to have to find somewhere where I can shoot some of the models. Thanks for the info guys.

cyberhick

Fatherhood rocks!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.23seconds. Snitz Forums 2000