StoppingPower.net Forums
Home
Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - M&P: is it reliable?
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 Pistol Palace
 M&P: is it reliable?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

David C.
Starting Member

22 Posts

Posted - March 26 2007 :  11:27:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Been looking at the new S&W M&P. Love how it feels in my hand. Was thinking of getting the 9mm compact model for ccw.
My only hesitancy is reliability. How are these new guns holding up? I know S&W takes good care of its customers...but I don't know if I trust these guns to protect my life with so little track record.
What do you folks think?
Thanks,

David

Evan
Administrator

34735 Posts

Posted - March 26 2007 :  11:49:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
no idea-so far no problems

"The greatest thing a Father can do for his children is to love their Mother."

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

HadEmAll

128 Posts

Posted - March 26 2007 :  1:39:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd like to hear some "torture test" data also. All the reviews I've read on the WWW have been positive. All I can personally contribute is that my full-sized M&P .40 has been a pleasure to shoot for about 300 rounds. It has a great trigger, comes up on target well, and has the perception of being very soft shooting, even with hot loads. In fact, it shoots so well I chose it to renew my CHL with, over all other autopistols I own, even though they all shoot fine. The only problem I remember reading about was something to do with the trigger "breaking" around the hinged area. You might see if you can corroborate that. May have been an isolated incident.
Go to Top of Page

David C.
Starting Member

22 Posts

Posted - March 26 2007 :  3:01:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My hunch is that the M&P will turn out to be a great pistol...I just don't want to bet my life on a hunch. Right now I'm considering getting the HK p2000 sk instead. Major sticker shock with that one, though.
-David
Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

34735 Posts

Posted - March 26 2007 :  3:07:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
not sure the P2000 has a track record either-Glock 19 does

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

3224 Posts

Posted - March 26 2007 :  4:22:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've had a boatload of problems with my HK P2000sk. It's been back to the factory 3 times and still isn't 100%

My G19 is perfect ! I think the 19 is the best all around Glock ever.
It is very rare to hear of problems with them.
My .02
Jim
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9868 Posts

Posted - March 26 2007 :  4:28:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jhiller

<snip>
My G19 is perfect ! I think the 19 is the best all around Glock ever.
It is very rare to hear of problems with them.
My .02
Jim

Wow, Perfect! I did not know they made a Glock 19 in .45 caliber?????!!!!

Just kidding but I could not resist
Jim

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!
Go to Top of Page

Terry

USA
5481 Posts

Posted - March 26 2007 :  4:43:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They do, it's called the 1911

"Simplicity is the last step of art, and the beginning of nature" Bruce Lee
von hier an blind
Go to Top of Page

HEMI

Canada
881 Posts

Posted - March 26 2007 :  4:54:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My M&P 40 has over 1000rnds through it never choked,I haven't cleaned it for the last 300 trying to see if it does. I carry it daily and have no doubt it will do it's job when called upon.

kev

Edited by - HEMI on March 26 2007 5:20:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

Slick
Advanced Member

USA
3386 Posts

Posted - March 26 2007 :  7:22:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I too have been impressed by the M&P, as much as you can be in a gun shop. I also had concerns about "how they hold up", since they are relatively new to the market.
I talked with a Firearms Instructor at a local academy today who was in the middle of just such a torture test. Actually, according to him, he had already broken the others in the test long ago, but the M&P has held up so far. He says he is running out of ideas...

It's been abused in just about every way you could think of, and a few you probably wouldn't. I am quite impressed after hearing about all that's been done to the thing, I'm talking way beyond what I would expect a handgun to "live" through. As far as I could tell in a non-shooting environment, it still functions fine. It ain't pretty (the fire did some cosmetic damage, as have many rough trips over rocks, pavement, buildings, etc.), but it's still in one piece. I should get a chance to shoot it later in the week (we are tasked with coming up with new ways to attempt to break it) :)
I'll see if I can get the okay to share more details, but as it stands at the moment, I'm impressed.

I had been very interested in this pistol before, but after what I saw today (and assuming it holds up at the range this week), I will buy one.
I'll keep you informed.
Slick

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Edited by - Slick on March 26 2007 7:26:31 PM
Go to Top of Page

Yonder
Average Member

USA
252 Posts

Posted - March 26 2007 :  7:51:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I fired a factory demo that had 20k+, rounds thru it, liked it very much. Had 2 light primer hits out of 10 rounds. I liked the handling/feel of it. Was a full sized 9mm.

...And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.
Go to Top of Page

David C.
Starting Member

22 Posts

Posted - March 26 2007 :  8:54:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks for your replies, folks.
-David
Go to Top of Page

jsl
Starting Member

10 Posts

Posted - March 26 2007 :  9:30:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shot one in 40 S & W that made a plate rack really ring. It felt like a light 9mm. Grip is great in both angle, pointing and palm fit. They are starting to give the XD's a run for their money & both are penetrating the Glock hold on the production division here. The guys that have them love them & early on are seeing no problems.
Go to Top of Page

JohnS
Advanced Member

USA
1792 Posts

Posted - March 26 2007 :  10:31:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HEMI

My M&P 40 has over 1000rnds through it never choked,I haven't cleaned it for the last 300 trying to see if it does. I carry it daily and have no doubt it will do it's job when called upon.

I would never have my everyday carry gun be a "let's see how dirty we can get it" gun.
Go to Top of Page

HEMI

Canada
881 Posts

Posted - March 27 2007 :  03:12:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John,I am off work for a couple days.Shooting while I'm off, it will be cleaned and ready to go for duty of course.

kev
Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

34735 Posts

Posted - March 27 2007 :  07:12:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the problem at the base of my concerns is that "the morality" attached to gun design and production is gone. Pride of work has been replaced with free shipping. Doesn't work? send it back. Still doesn't work? send it back again.

we see all too many new guns-some of them very expensive-going back for "repair" over and over again. What makes me angry is that we'll proivide a detailed description of whats wrong and when the gun is returned to us still broken, the acoompanying note does not address the issues we raised.

one 1911 went back because the mag release fell out of the gun the 1st time it was depressed-when we got it back the mag release was still laying next to the gun and now there were significant scratches on the slide.

I carry Beretta and Taurus' simply because they work and since they're the pistols I carry for personal SD-that's kinds sorta important. In the middle of a gunfight I don't have time to hope they got this one right.

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

David C.
Starting Member

22 Posts

Posted - March 27 2007 :  1:22:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Evan

not sure the P2000 has a track record either-Glock 19 does

I have a G19 and it has been flawless. I'm just looing for something a little smaller, like a G26. Which I guess is what I should get. The reason for looking at the p2000sk and M&Pc is the finger grooves on the G26 don't fit my hand (my G19 is a second generation so its not a factor with it). I guess I could always get a grip reduction.
-David
Go to Top of Page

TeamCorbon

USA
679 Posts

Posted - March 27 2007 :  3:04:18 PM  Show Profile  Send TeamCorbon a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
My M&P 40 has over 8,000 rds of asst JHP and ball thru it. I've had zero malfunctions to date. It's accurate and comfortable to carry.

I've got a friend who has the M&P 9 Compact. He loves it and marvels at it's reliability. He has over 1,000 rds of asst makes and types of ammo thru it.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

Chuck
Advanced Member

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - March 27 2007 :  11:26:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You could also just sand the finger grooves off.
Go to Top of Page

HadEmAll

128 Posts

Posted - March 28 2007 :  11:43:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TeamCorbon, that's good to hear.
Go to Top of Page

enidpd804
Advanced Member

1762 Posts

Posted - March 29 2007 :  01:30:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Team CB, how many of those JHP's were DPX? I'll be due for a new duty sidearm in a couple of years. I certainly don't want a new G22 with all of the problems they're having.

Warren
Go to Top of Page

TeamCorbon

USA
679 Posts

Posted - March 29 2007 :  07:55:41 AM  Show Profile  Send TeamCorbon a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by enidpd804

Team CB, how many of those JHP's were DPX? I'll be due for a new duty sidearm in a couple of years. I certainly don't want a new G22 with all of the problems they're having.

I don't have my records anymore but I'd guess it was over 1,000.

I tried all different makes to try to gag that pistol and it fed everyone of them with ease.

What amazed me was the scandium frame. I sent it to Jim Garthwaite and the Performance Center for evaluation after the 6 month 8,000 rds and they both claim the frame to be in perfect condition My concerns were cracking. I have owned several other lightweight 1911 pistols and eveyone of them cracked a frame after about 2,000 of hot ammo.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

HEMI

Canada
881 Posts

Posted - March 29 2007 :  1:47:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mike,

kev
Go to Top of Page

enidpd804
Advanced Member

1762 Posts

Posted - March 29 2007 :  7:52:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting, Mike. Thanks.

Warren
Go to Top of Page

Brooklyn South
Average Member

409 Posts

Posted - March 29 2007 :  9:16:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think that it was Mike Benedict who commented favorably on his M&P 9 at the tactical conference. I forget the round count but it was more than a few boxes. He also offered to let anyone there try it on the range. He's a moderator over at the 1911 forum, not sure if he posts here. He also makes holsters.

I took a look at a M&P 9c today myself. I much prefer their grip angle to my Glock's.

Good shooting!

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

3224 Posts

Posted - March 30 2007 :  06:20:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The only problem that has been consistantly reported with the M&P pistols is spontaneous mag release.
Some M&Ps drop mags for no apparent reason. Likely a sizing problem with mag release button. Factory clears the problem up by the second or third trip back.

I think that time will prove the M&P to be a very good choice. The SS frame support will give it a long life and make it less likely than Glock to be affected by " limp wrist" and frame torsion,

The adjustable grip makes for a good hand feel and bore angle makes it quick to shoot.

I ran a local qual course with one last week and did very well first time through. Did a few points better than I had done two months before with my own G19. I found the M&P easier to keep from vertical stringing during rapid fire strings

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin1.47seconds. Snitz Forums 2000