Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Emergency Kits
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Be Prepared
 Emergency Preparedness
 Emergency Kits
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Keeb

USA
1320 Posts

Posted - March 10 2007 :  06:09:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There has been a lot of talk here about Emergency kits for the home and vehicles and what should be included in them in case the spam hits the fan. For those who may not have a kit prepared and are looking for a starting point, the following link may help you get started. http://www.ready.gov
While it is by no means all inclusive, it is a good starting point.

Keeb

Jerry Morris

USA
158 Posts

Posted - March 10 2007 :  07:34:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I note no mention of tools. Like saws, axes, or knives. >GASP<!!!! No Guns??????

some ready kit,,,,,,

Jerry

PS: There is plastic sheeting and duct tape.

Edited by - Jerry Morris on March 10 2007 07:35:17 AM
Go to Top of Page

Keeb

USA
1320 Posts

Posted - March 10 2007 :  09:11:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Like I said, it's far from all inclusive. Only a starting point. Besides, chances are that folks who frequent this site already have firearms and ammo.
Go to Top of Page

Jerry Morris

USA
158 Posts

Posted - March 10 2007 :  1:52:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Keeb

Like I said, it's far from all inclusive. Only a starting point. Besides, chances are that folks who frequent this site already have firearms and ammo.

Yes, you did say that and I forgot a smilie. Sorry bout that!

Jerry
Go to Top of Page

Russ Larges

USA
2214 Posts

Posted - March 11 2007 :  5:29:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My car kit changes with the season. Nearly time to switch again. The biggest change is, of course, heavy coats and blankets for winter. I got a car kit for Christmas this year that came from coleman's that has a small heater that is supposed to run for 20 hours on a propane tank, among other small stuff. The heater is the primarary peice.

The pistol, learn it well, carry it allways. Jeff Cooper
Go to Top of Page

Glenn
Advanced Member

USA
1077 Posts

Posted - May 15 2008 :  6:08:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My car kit changes for each part of the County that I'm in if it's a rural area then I carry items that I am likely to need in such a place. If it is an urban area then I carry items suited to an urban environment and there are the ever present tools such as an ancient 1984 vintage Camillus Pilot's survival knife which can be fashioned into a spear if needed and used as a saw. I also have a Camillus GI pocket knife which is also a very useful tool and has many different functions.

Semper Paratus
Go to Top of Page

nightlighter12
Advanced Member

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - September 22 2008 :  9:39:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Which does anyone prefer for gas storage, metal or plastic? First thought is plastic can melt.

Chance favors the prepared mind. Louis Pasteur

The Second Amendment is not about duck hunting...It's about our right, all of our right (the citizens) to protect ourselves, from all of you guys (the politicians) up there. Suzanna Gratia-Hupp (survivor of the Luby's Restaurant massacre, Killeen, TX 10-16-91 both her parents were murdered in the massacre)
Go to Top of Page

Keeb

USA
1320 Posts

Posted - September 22 2008 :  11:57:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I prefer plastic. While plastic will melt, if it gets so hot that the plastic starts melting, it's too late to save your storage area. Metal cans will rust and are subject to a B.L.E.V.E. if the can gets too hot.
Go to Top of Page

revjen45
Advanced Member

2234 Posts

Posted - November 26 2008 :  08:08:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Car kits include what we figure we would need to make it home over 1-2 days on foot or hunker down for the same period: space blankets, regular blanket compass and maps, magnesium fire starter, quick energy food, water, crank-it flashlight, field knife, & a couple of other things I can't remember right now. Since I am nearly always armed in the car a gun does not live there, although a Nagant revolver loaded with .32 H&R may take up residence. Should things REALLY go south some sort of compact long gun may be an option.

Better to perish in the struggle for freedom than live to see defeat.
Go to Top of Page

CW2 Ralph Long
Average Member

USA
364 Posts

Posted - December 08 2010 :  11:01:31 PM  Show Profile  Click to see CW2 Ralph Long's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Speaking of tools for survival.....I recently had a reunion with some Old Soldiers from my Alma Mater, one of whom was "Captain" Bob Jackson, the superior rifle company commander in the "World of Charlie Company" from the 1970 CBS documentary. Jackson stated that he never allowed his Troopers walk on trails or to use axes on patrol to cut trees or logs...too much noise. They used saws taken from the North Vietnamese who walked into their ambushes. The NVA didn't like the axe either but didn't mind C/2-7th CAV using their saws after they didn't need them anymore.

Jackson's company had the highest number of enemy confirmed killed and was the company with the lowest loss rate in his brigade of the 1st Cavalry Division during his tenure as C.O.

“If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without bloodshed;
if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may
come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves.”

Winston Churchill
Go to Top of Page

86 Posts

Posted - December 12 2010 :  8:54:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Working on a library of ebooks and articles stored on electronic media Started as a quick reference for emergencies on the road not a list of what's in the kit. Do it your self type repair books as I'm lacking most in mechanical know how and ability. Then after considered how much depend on the internet for reference works in general the collection spread to include what I couldn't live without in case of internet failure. Now about 70GB and expanding. An example is Mother earth news web site has over 12,000 articles and with a program like internet download manager it can ferret out the articles for you and download them.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.19seconds. Snitz Forums 2000