Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Gun for Mom
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Real World
 Gals & Guns
 Gun for Mom
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Dov
Advanced Member

USA
2638 Posts

Posted - October 26 2008 :  05:59:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Keep us posted.

Couple of thoughts. What about getting a 2nd 38, perhaps a Ruger SP101 and get good trigger job? Thinking heaver and less recoil. Another idea if the 110's get to be to much perhaps Glasser or Magsafe for less recoil.

I'll also second the idea of dogs. Check into "companion dogs" in your area, your local vet should be able to provide some contact info. Companion dogs are basically just well behaved dogs obedience trained dogs for handicapped and elderly they provide many positive benefits.

I have a friend same that has been confined to wheelchair his whole life, we tried several different guns but even little 22's to much for him to handle. Dog, phone, perimeter security, and social support (ie friends and cartakers around as much as possible when he isn't out at activities) was the best we could do.
Go to Top of Page

belair
Starting Member

47 Posts

Posted - January 16 2009 :  10:28:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My mom is 77 years old and wants a home-defense weapon... she is strong-willed and determined but not a super-strong physical person. She'll need a long gun since she is not a licensed pistol holder (and we're in blue state America, insert sad sigh).
I am pleased to see the recommendations of the Ruger 10/22. I have never fired one of these units and want to be assured it will be a VERY reliable self-loader with a VERY low possibility of "jamming" or misfeeds. Would the 10/22 be the reliable functioning firearm that we seek? Naturally, given its intended purpose, exceptional accuracy and beauty are not essential. This firearm must function reliably...is this the right gun for us? Is there a better alternative? (we do want to stay with a .22 caliber) Please advise
Go to Top of Page

john wist
Starting Member

33 Posts

Posted - February 12 2010 :  9:07:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What about a ruger single six with a 22 mag cyldner loaded with hollow points?
Go to Top of Page

Slick
Advanced Member

USA
3386 Posts

Posted - February 13 2010 :  12:24:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Belair,
How come you want to stay with a .22 caliber? I was thinking a pistol caliber carbine might be good for her if you need a 'soft shooting' long arm - maybe something like the Ruger PC or Beretta Storm Carbine, Ruger Camp Carbine, etc.

The 10/22 is a great little rifle, but I always worry about rimfire ammo for personal defense cause it seems (in my experience) that there are a certain number of "duds" per 100. If you go that route, avoid the "bulk" ammo and buy the higher end stuff - heck it's still cheap.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Go to Top of Page

mojo
Advanced Member

USA
2911 Posts

Posted - February 13 2010 :  12:47:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
+1 on what Slick said about .22 ammo. The 10/22 is probabily the best semi auto .22 rifle on the market today. I agree with a pistol caliber carbine simply from an ammo viewpoint. If a .22 is the only way you can or will be able to go consider the .22 WMRF or one of the 25 round steel lipped .22 aftermarket mags loaded with CCI Stinger or CCI Velocitor ammo.

Texas and Louisiana Concealed handgun instructor.

NRA Certified Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearm Safety, Personal Protection and Refuse to be a Victim instructor.

NRA Endowment member.

Disabled U. S. Army Veteran 1St Cav and 82nd Airborne 1967-1970.
Go to Top of Page

16th pct
Starting Member

USA
26 Posts

Posted - February 17 2010 :  1:43:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Uhm, Belair asked that a year ago :-)

I hope he's decided by now?

Mel
Mbr NRA
Mbr Michigan Sheriff's Assn
Go to Top of Page

Slick
Advanced Member

USA
3386 Posts

Posted - February 17 2010 :  4:42:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some people just need a little more time to make an informed decision...
Besides, now Mom is 78, maybe her needs have changed ;)

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Edited by - Slick on February 17 2010 4:43:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

sgtcowboyusmc
Starting Member

USA
20 Posts

Posted - December 26 2011 :  12:13:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My Mom had a Colt trooper she used/carried for years. When she hit 70 she went to a Makarov and carried it til just before she died! Last time she flew out to see me when she was 74 the metal box she had to fly with was broken into. but the airline had the gun. Sky Cap said he thought she was going to kick someones butt before they could explain than 1. it was their fault and 2. they had the Makarov and it was in perfect shape! He said "Man your Mom ain't no Joke!" Anyway they aren't real expensive and the recoil is minimal!

AND MAY GOD CONTINUE TO BLESS AMERICA
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.2seconds. Snitz Forums 2000