Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Uncle Mike's Alert
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Be Prepared
 Concealed Carry
 Uncle Mike's Alert
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Evan
Administrator

34116 Posts

Posted - December 28 2006 :  10:19:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I carry a Kel Tec 3AT in an UM's pocket holster as a 3rd gun to my two Glock 9MM's (M19&M26). I was carrying it in my left-hand front pocket but noticed the mag would pop loose-switched to the right pocket and no problems.

"The greatest thing a Father can do for his children is to love their Mother."

Harold B. Lee

ber950
Average Member

USA
362 Posts

Posted - December 28 2006 :  10:44:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My Tomcat will pop the mag loose when pocket carried on occasion. I have developed the habit of checking it everytime my hand is in the pocket. Another reason I really like J-frames.

God, Guns, and Guts made America free. Let's keep all three.
Go to Top of Page

Chuck
Advanced Member

USA
3284 Posts

Posted - December 28 2006 :  11:36:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've always thought that the heel type European mag release makes more sense for pocket guns, for this very reason.
Go to Top of Page

esq_stu

USA
907 Posts

Posted - December 28 2006 :  1:57:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had the same problem with my 3AT and Uncle Mikes. Leaning against things sometimes put pressure on the mag release.

Kol Tuv (All the best!)

-- esq_stu

Go to Top of Page

GLV

USA
8866 Posts

Posted - December 28 2006 :  2:17:55 PM  Show Profile  Send GLV an ICQ Message  Send GLV a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Always been a problem with pocket autos with release mounted by trigger guard. My solution was to grind down the release--this is not likely to be a gun I would reload anyway. I leave it a length that still makes it usable but much less likely to make the gun a single shot.

'the world is round everywhere'

'The meek will inherit the earth, but only after the last soldier has left it to them in his will'
Go to Top of Page

Vafish
Advanced Member

USA
3307 Posts

Posted - December 28 2006 :  3:19:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ber950

My Tomcat will pop the mag loose when pocket carried on occasion. I have developed the habit of checking it everytime my hand is in the pocket. Another reason I really like J-frames.

I discovered the same problem with my Tomat.

My solution was to remove the left grip panel and build up the area around the mag release with some JB Weld epoxy. Sanded it smooth and had no more problems.

"If your plan is for one year, plant rice.
If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
If your plan is for one hundred years,
educate children." -- Confucius
Go to Top of Page

mojo
Advanced Member

USA
2911 Posts

Posted - December 28 2006 :  4:35:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well duh! I was wondering why my 3AT's mag would release in my pocket at times (I carry it in a DeSantis Nemisis weak side) I was thinking it was a problem with the gun or mag. I'll try carrying it on the right side for a while. I like GLV's idea of grinding the mag release down some too.

Texas and Louisiana Concealed handgun instructor.

NRA Certified Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearm Safety, Personal Protection and Refuse to be a Victim instructor.

NRA Endowment member.

Disabled U. S. Army Veteran 1St Cav and 82nd Airborne 1967-1970.

Edited by - mojo on December 28 2006 4:37:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

wolfram
Average Member

USA
303 Posts

Posted - December 31 2006 :  3:13:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've carried my Beretta Tomcat in an Uncle Mikes size 8 pocket holster every day for over a year and the magazine never came out. I replaced the Tomcat with the Taurus PT-111 for the last three years in an Uncle Mike's size 4 pocket holster and likewise never encountered a problem. This includes working jobs where I squat fairly frequently. Then again, I almost always carried on the right hand side, so maybe that has something to do with it?

Carl
Go to Top of Page

Srigs
Advanced Member

USA
1061 Posts

Posted - January 01 2007 :  11:01:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have not had a problem with my P32 in an UM #4 pocket holster. I covers the mag release with fabric giving you a little less chance of hitting it!

Srigs
Go to Top of Page

Slick
Advanced Member

USA
3386 Posts

Posted - January 02 2007 :  01:59:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have experienced the same with both the Tomcat and the P3AT. Not everytime, but enough.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

34116 Posts

Posted - January 02 2007 :  08:25:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my UM covers the mag release too, but in my left pocket it pops loose

"The greatest thing a Father can do for his children is to love their Mother."

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

GLV

USA
8866 Posts

Posted - January 02 2007 :  2:53:50 PM  Show Profile  Send GLV an ICQ Message  Send GLV a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Before I modified the release on my KT P11, the mag release would pop loose even in my Null LH horsehide holster.

Pressure from a counter, a box being carried, etc, would be all it would take. No problem in the RH Null holster.

'The meek will inherit the earth, but only after the last soldier has left it to them in his will'
Go to Top of Page

fsilber

USA
512 Posts

Posted - January 03 2007 :  07:16:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Evan

my UM covers the mag release too, but in my left pocket it pops loose
When I first received my KyTac Pocket-LockIt (an ambidextrous hard-shell kydex pocket holster for my Kahr P9 Covert), I noticed that there was a little bit more plastic on the left side. Later, I realized it was to cover the magazine release.

I've never had a problem in either pocket. I guess that's an advantage of kydex over softer materials such as fabric or leather.
Go to Top of Page

cma g21

USA
221 Posts

Posted - January 03 2007 :  1:20:06 PM  Show Profile  Send cma g21 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GLV

Always been a problem with pocket autos with release mounted by trigger guard. My solution was to grind down the release--this is not likely to be a gun I would reload anyway. I leave it a length that still makes it usable but much less likely to make the gun a single shot.

This is what I did as well.

A few minutes with a Dremel sanding drum, and the release button no longer protrudes above the grip. Pressure (even with the flat of the thumb will not pop the magazine (but it is easily released with the thumbnail).

I did this on my original P-32 and current P-3AT and have never had a magazine pop out in my pocket (or anklke holster).
Go to Top of Page

Paul

105 Posts

Posted - January 17 2007 :  2:02:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would use a single hole punch on the holster (right over the release) before I ground any part of the gun.
Go to Top of Page

GLV

USA
8866 Posts

Posted - February 17 2007 :  11:32:50 AM  Show Profile  Send GLV an ICQ Message  Send GLV a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Paul, not a good idea IMO, appears now there would be a possibility of gun hanging up on mag release, or pocket holster coming out with the gun. Have you experimented with the idea? Thanks.

Go to Top of Page

MCSWXW

154 Posts

Posted - April 21 2007 :  8:32:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my KelTecs do this too when in the left front pocket. this is one reason I prefer heel mag releases on small autos. I figure the odds of me getting killed becuase it took .4 seconds less to make a mag change in my 2nd or third gun are pretty slim-so there is no advantage to a thumb release button. For a gun like this I wish I could have a heel release.
Go to Top of Page

alnico357
Average Member

USA
448 Posts

Posted - May 23 2007 :  3:04:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My heel-release Seecamp dumped its mag in my pocket a few times. I figured out it was hitting my knife and corrected the problem by moving the knife to the left pocket.
Go to Top of Page

HadEmAll

128 Posts

Posted - July 24 2007 :  01:07:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I put some spacer material under the mag release button spring of my Beretta 950, making it take about twice the previous effort to depress it enough to dump the magazine. Sometimes I would inadvertently depress it with a fingertip while firing it.

For problems caused by pocket carry, I like GLV's idea about grinding down the profile of the button. I'm sure it could be done very attractively if you were worried about appearance.
Go to Top of Page

komputec
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - October 06 2007 :  11:10:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I once looked down to see my mag in the floor where it popped out of my ankle rig. I grabbed and hid it while looking around to see if someone was watching. I've never had the happen again but often check it while carrying in that mode.
Go to Top of Page

jle3030
Advanced Member

USA
4992 Posts

Posted - October 07 2007 :  06:59:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mags popping loose in the pocket are one of my primary reasons for preferring revolvers as pocket guns.

Presentation from the pocket can be fraught with hangups that can potentially get a person killed. Mag releases and exposed hammers (autos and revolvers) have been particular problem areas for me.

Jeff

jle3030
Go to Top of Page

FLA2760

114 Posts

Posted - December 21 2007 :  10:42:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had the same problem with my P32 BUG. The holster is a DeSantis Nemisis. I swithced to right pocket and no more magazine pop out. I have the Desantis "trickster" on order for back pocket carry of the P32.

STEVE
NRA LIFE MEMBER. Member Gun Owners Of America.
What part of "shall not be infringed" do people not understand?
Go to Top of Page

Melvis

USA
659 Posts

Posted - December 22 2007 :  2:12:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had the same problem no matter how I carried the gun. I took GLV's advice and lopped off most of the mag release. No problems at all, now.

Results, not reputations.
Go to Top of Page

Goodtime Charlie
Starting Member

14 Posts

Posted - January 22 2008 :  12:57:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Before you grind down the release, try to build up the grip!

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

Edited by - Goodtime Charlie on January 22 2008 01:00:32 AM
Go to Top of Page

GLV

USA
8866 Posts

Posted - January 22 2008 :  2:11:57 PM  Show Profile  Send GLV an ICQ Message  Send GLV a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Why? I was always taught to mess with the least expensive part. In this case that is the mag release.

Go to Top of Page

duke wellington

USA
59 Posts

Posted - April 25 2008 :  5:03:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have owned several Soviet bloc Makarovs and never had that problem with any of them but yeah with the Tomcat and it's Taurus counterpart that is an issue. I prefer the belt clip style of holster and in the pants carry at the small of the back.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.25seconds. Snitz Forums 2000