Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Tis the season to be jolly or dead
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Real World
 Cop Corner
 Tis the season to be jolly or dead
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Evan
Administrator

34114 Posts

Posted - December 07 2006 :  2:22:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As a Dad I always loved Christmas

As a cop I dreaded it-it seems we always lost somebody during the holidays.

1. Wear your vest always
2. Always carry a second gun and make sure its accessible to your off hand. Just because your duty weapon was issued to you with three mags doesn't mean you can't go out and buy some more-there is no such thing as too much ammo in a gunfight.
3. search everybody like your life depends on it-it will
4. Have a long gun and extra ammo
5. Be smart and call for backup before it goes down the toilet
6. Handcuff every prisoner with their hands behind their back.
7. Search prisoners a 2nd time in the lockup before you unhandcuff them
8. Have a backup flashlight and test it before going on the street.
9. Remember people will hate you and will kill you for what you are and what you represent
10. Remember the cemetary is full of nice guys.
11. Have a prayer on your lips and homicide in your heart.
12. Regardless of how things appear-if things don't feel right-they aren't
The Thin Blue Line doesn't need to get thinner-God Bless.

"The greatest thing a Father can do for his children is to love their Mother."

Harold B. Lee

Lennis

59 Posts

Posted - December 07 2006 :  3:27:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good info anytime. It seems to me that Holiday seasons ae getting more violent each year. Our TAC team callouts are usually more serious during the holidays.

Speed surprise and violence of action will rule the day.
Go to Top of Page

Nanuk

USA
813 Posts

Posted - December 07 2006 :  11:21:03 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Nanuk's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
AMEN.

"May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't." Gen. George Patton
Go to Top of Page

Slick
Advanced Member

USA
3386 Posts

Posted - December 08 2006 :  9:32:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Evan,
Timely advice.
You can't remind the Good Guys of that kind of thing often enough. If we keep that list fresh in our minds every day when we head off to work, we will be much more prepared if things go south.
Be careful my brothers, and stay safe.
Slick

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Go to Top of Page

GLV

USA
8866 Posts

Posted - December 10 2006 :  2:25:15 PM  Show Profile  Send GLV an ICQ Message  Send GLV a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Always remember the carrot--going home every night

'the world is round everywhere'

'The meek will inherit the earth, but only after the last soldier has left it to them in his will'

Edited by - GLV on December 10 2006 2:25:39 PM
Go to Top of Page

E4E

USA
6451 Posts

Posted - December 10 2006 :  11:48:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Evan,

Thanks.

E4E

Keep the Rifle handy!
Go to Top of Page

El Cid

USA
65 Posts

Posted - December 31 2006 :  6:05:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great list! Number 11 reminds me of one we were taught at the academy... "Treat everyone like royalty - but have a plan to kill them."
Go to Top of Page

505stevec
Starting Member

USA
11 Posts

Posted - February 20 2007 :  10:44:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Words to live by. Thanks you.
Go to Top of Page

Stingray

89 Posts

Posted - March 09 2007 :  5:48:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In my workout room, is a sign that reads: "Somewhere, someone is training to kill you. Still wanna quit?" This is one of the things I use for motivation, when I am too tired, or don't want to work out.

There is a thought from the first street survival book that goes something like this: how many people could have had me today, if they had tried. And what would I have done, if they had?
Go to Top of Page

sheepdog
Average Member

382 Posts

Posted - June 14 2007 :  12:05:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many moons ago, I wish I had had some concise info like that...when I became a training officer, I focused my chicks on just that-staying alive and realizing the bad guys would hurt them just because of the authority they represented...backup guns(forbidden to our dept.) extra ammo, 4 sets of cuffs, the first Second Chance on my dept., speedloaders, a Prosecutor, I got a lot of ribbing...and I was ready help or not to do whatever it took...and taught them the same...the longer they were on the street, the more of my crazy ideas they adopted (in a time where you bought your own "extra" equipment out of the whopping $500 a month salary...and always the off duty preparedness rant...I had one rookie beaten by a shoplifter who wasn't impressed by the pocket badge he tried to arrest him with...and no gun and no cuffs....he sported a black eye for weeks...and got a model 60 within 24 hours that he couldn't afford for the 4 preceding months...keep on tellin' em, Evan, and the ones who'll listen and believe will become old fat grandfathers someday...and hopefully pass down your words...which would benefit CCW civilians, as well....
Go to Top of Page

duke wellington

USA
59 Posts

Posted - April 25 2008 :  9:04:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love isn't the tie that binds it's a half pound of cold steel cuffing is a number one priority . Before initiating any search the subject should be cuffed that way he/she isn't free to use their hands to reach for a weapon you don't know is there. Especially at night with some one who is intoxicated
Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

34114 Posts

Posted - April 26 2008 :  07:29:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I told a class of students, "You handcuff me with my hands in front of me and I'll guarantee you I can kill you."

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

duke wellington

USA
59 Posts

Posted - April 26 2008 :  8:59:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Exactly Evan that's why you always cuff the subjects hands behind their back even if it's an old lady /old man because they can kill you just as quick as a younger person can. Also conducting a brief pat down search before hand is equally as important because who knows where the suspect might be hiding something.
Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

34114 Posts

Posted - April 27 2008 :  06:08:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my searches were always thorough and intrusive.

When we got them into the lockup and before we took the cuffs off, my partner would search him again.

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

elalumno
Starting Member

9 Posts

Posted - June 25 2008 :  10:16:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
An excellent list and points I have tried to live by/with as well as instill in the new guys and gals.

I will somewhat sheepishly admit I have violated my own advice from time to time because of what I see as one of our most silent and deadly enemies. That is complacency. Getting into that tired and true routine and not paying attention. And every time I found myself getting complacent, I thanked God it didnt' kill/hurt me and worked harder at combating it.
Go to Top of Page

Keith
Advanced Member

USA
2826 Posts

Posted - November 26 2008 :  6:11:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Evan

1. Wear your vest always
2. Always carry a second gun and make sure its accessible to your off hand. Just because your duty weapon was issued to you with three mags doesn't mean you can't go out and buy some more-there is no such thing as too much ammo in a gunfight.
3. search everybody like your life depends on it-it will
4. Have a long gun and extra ammo
5. Be smart and call for backup before it goes down the toilet
6. Handcuff every prisoner with their hands behind their back.
7. Search prisoners a 2nd time in the lockup before you unhandcuff them
8. Have a backup flashlight and test it before going on the street.
9. Remember people will hate you and will kill you for what you are and what you represent
10. Remember the cemetary is full of nice guys.
11. Have a prayer on your lips and homicide in your heart.
12. Regardless of how things appear-if things don't feel right-they aren't

13. Remember that cops aren't always the only ones wearing body armor.

We bagged two residential burglars late last night. Both tried to flee, then tried to run down two uniformed officers manning a place on the surrounding perimeter. Officers fired several handgun rounds into the car, blinding the driver with a spray of glass fragments and he veered away and smashed into a parked vehicle.

Both suspects put up a fight when an attempt was made to extract 'em from their car. Had to taze one and shoot and injure the other to gain control. Both had on police-style ballistic vests. Obviously lookin' for a fight. Both had handguns ready to hand.

Who says house burglars aren't dangerous?

Edited by - Keith on November 26 2008 6:12:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

revjen45
Advanced Member

2234 Posts

Posted - November 29 2008 :  11:51:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anybody ever notice a correlation between violent incidents and the full moon? Not joking - I have heard this is the case.

Better to perish in the struggle for freedom than live to see defeat.
Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

34114 Posts

Posted - November 29 2008 :  2:57:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
at Homicide we never had a quiet night when the moon was full-never AND the Emergency Rooms were jammed.

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

GLV

USA
8866 Posts

Posted - November 29 2008 :  4:01:27 PM  Show Profile  Send GLV an ICQ Message  Send GLV a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Evan, was there ever a quiet night in Detroit

'the world is round everywhere'

'The meek will inherit the earth, but only after the last soldier has left it to them in his will'
Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

34114 Posts

Posted - November 29 2008 :  5:18:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
don't remember-probably not.

Remember Detroit is Cleveland without the glitter.

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

perrodelucha

USA
927 Posts

Posted - November 29 2008 :  9:03:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
there were 4 things that always spelled trouble: a full moon, the first of the month, a long weekend and a holiday. if you ever got all four rolled together ( like a full moon on labor day ) you had your hands full.
Go to Top of Page

pistolero

239 Posts

Posted - December 01 2008 :  1:41:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know if there has ever been any research on violence and the full moon? Some people may use the full moon for an excuse to act crazy, or is there really something to it?
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5045 Posts

Posted - December 01 2008 :  3:49:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have it on good authority that the full moon phenomena is mythical. Somebody said it on one of the 'training film' series, don't remember if it was Bones, NCIS, or one of the CSI's. But anybody who can look at a month-old dead body and tell whether a 9mm, .38 or .357 was the murder weapon hasta be pretty smart! Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
Go to Top of Page

Glenn
Advanced Member

USA
1077 Posts

Posted - December 01 2008 :  5:28:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ace there is a guy at our crime lab who is very adept at determining what weapon was used based upon the diameter of the entrance/ exit wounds on the deceased he can even look at a penatrating wound caused by a edged weapon and once he's consulted with the firearms / tool mark section he can name the object. My Father works at a local hospital and the full moon theory is real because the ER is packed and the cops bring in one high or drunk subject after another, all of them violent. And our coroner here is busy with MVA's , shootings the whole nine yards to put it simply he rarely sleeps more than 5 hours a night on a full moon.

Semper Paratus
Go to Top of Page

Keith
Advanced Member

USA
2826 Posts

Posted - November 05 2009 :  7:26:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Armed robberies are starting to spike here and Thanksgiving is still a couple weeks away. Time to keep your head on a swivel, folks.
Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

34114 Posts

Posted - November 05 2009 :  8:27:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome back-it's always safer with you here.

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.27seconds. Snitz Forums 2000