Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Lt Col Jeff Cooper
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Other
 Miscellaneous
 Lt Col Jeff Cooper
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

garrettwc
Advanced Member

1032 Posts

Posted - September 13 2006 :  12:05:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hope this is OK to post here. I just picked up this bit of info posted by Pat Rogers on another forum about 7:30 this evening.

"Jeff Cooper is in extremely grave condition at this hour. Previously hospitalized for possible surgery, he suffered a heart attack and was revived in the hospital.
The heart muscle suffered serious damage.

Saying a little prayer for the Colonel and his family tonight.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
Teddy Roosevelt - San Francisco, CA, May 13, 1903

gauchobill
Advanced Member

1164 Posts

Posted - September 13 2006 :  08:09:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great guy and great American! Hope he makes it!
Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

34704 Posts

Posted - September 13 2006 :  09:26:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
saw him at the SHOT SHOW-he was quite frail-agree with him or not (and I often didn't), he has made alot of valuable contributions.

"The greatest thing a Father can do for his children is to love their Mother."

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

garrettwc
Advanced Member

1032 Posts

Posted - September 13 2006 :  09:36:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Latest word from Pat Rogers at 5:40AM. The Colonel has instructed the doctors DNR and has asked to be sent home to die in sconce.

Go to Top of Page

GLV

USA
8866 Posts

Posted - September 13 2006 :  12:11:13 PM  Show Profile  Send GLV an ICQ Message  Send GLV a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
A good man whether you agreed with him or not.

My visits were always the high point of any class at Gunsite. The chocolate cake Jannelle baked was always fantastic!

He will be missed, and I pray Jeff's next adventure may be the best.

'the world is round everywhere'

'The meek will inherit the earth, but only after the last soldier has left it to them in his will'
Go to Top of Page

garrettwc
Advanced Member

1032 Posts

Posted - September 13 2006 :  12:33:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Update from Col Coopers daughter Lindy posted on the other forum. They have taken him home and Janelle is arranging for hospice. Goal is to make him as comfortable as possible.

Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9868 Posts

Posted - September 13 2006 :  8:10:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A few of us are old enough to remember when Col. Cooper first began publicizing several techniques which were viewed as herasy in law enforcement circles:

Using two hands to hold the pistol
Using the sights in close quarters combat
The superiority of the heavy duty semi-auto pistol
More than one shot automatically before assessing (many of us advocate more now but back then 2 was really radical in regular L.E. circles)

No he wasn't the first on any of those(some of those techniques were advocated by some people 70 years before) but he was the one who made prominent waves and gave us the impetus to search out what works.

I would like to think that, had he not come along, we would not still be shooting .38 wadcutters, one handed at a bullseye target and calling it good. But I am not so sure we would not now still be bogged down in the debate.

We owe him (which means we also owe Janelle!) a debt we cannot repay.

My prayers are with him and his family.

DVC
Jim H.

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!
Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

34704 Posts

Posted - September 13 2006 :  8:15:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I remember being considered a Heretic for practicing with full power equalvalient loads and shooting double action

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

CXM

USA
673 Posts

Posted - September 13 2006 :  9:05:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Colonel Cooper is the last of the old time "gun gurus."

Elmer is gone, Bill Jordan, Skeeter, Harlon Carter, General Hatcher, Phil Sharpe and Charlie Askins all gone too... I miss them all and will miss Jeff Cooper too. I guess that is the end of the old timers...

We owe Cooper a lot for all he did for shooting...

I can only pray he will always have good shooting...

V/r

Chuck

Hoist on High the Bonny Blue Flag That Bears the Single Star!
Go to Top of Page

Corky

186 Posts

Posted - September 13 2006 :  9:26:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After all these years, my copy of "Cooper on Handguns," revised edition 1975, is still a favorite and most useful read.
Go to Top of Page

Gray_Rider
Average Member

USA
387 Posts

Posted - September 13 2006 :  10:51:14 PM  Show Profile  Send Gray_Rider a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
The passing of an era. Heaven's gain will be our loss. God rest and keep you brave, brave Col.

This world will never see your like again.

Gray_Rider
Go to Top of Page

Stephen A. Camp

659 Posts

Posted - September 14 2006 :  12:15:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello. I had the priviledge of meeting Col. Cooper on a couple of occassions and considered him a real gentleman. I didn't always agree with what he said, but admired his determination and work.

Prayers from my house to his.

Best.
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9868 Posts

Posted - September 14 2006 :  09:18:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Evan

I remember being considered a Heretic for practicing with full power equalvalient loads and shooting double action

You are a heratic (when it comes to campaigning against practices that get police officers killed), and have been ever since I known you...Thank God.

I seem to recall Hyram Berdan telling me; "Avoid that Marshall nut, he wants to drill holes in the nose of a Minne' Ball!"

Hang in there like a hair in a biscuit!

Jim H.

Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

34704 Posts

Posted - September 14 2006 :  10:00:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hyrum hated me because I had a better bed roll than him

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

garrettwc
Advanced Member

1032 Posts

Posted - September 14 2006 :  10:02:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Latest report this morning is that the Colonel is home and resting as well as can be expected. His body is weak, but his mind is sharp as ever. Pat Rogers is trying to confirm his overall condition, but indications from an email posted from Lindy are that while his death will be inevitable, it may not be imminent. They are considering letting him have people in for short visits to keep him mentally engaged.

I'll update if I here more. Keep those prayers going.

Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

34704 Posts

Posted - September 14 2006 :  10:17:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
like him or hate him, no one was ever confused about where he stood.

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

CXM

USA
673 Posts

Posted - September 14 2006 :  6:34:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Col. Cooper's family has indicated flowers would not be appropriate (he is on O2 but cards/letters would be appreciated.

The address is:

Jeff Cooper
2950 W Gunsite Rd
Paulden
AZ 86334-4301

Prayers are of course always a good idea.

V/r

Chuck

Hoist on High the Bonny Blue Flag That Bears the Single Star!
Go to Top of Page

nightlighter12
Advanced Member

USA
1202 Posts

Posted - September 14 2006 :  9:34:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Was it Col.Cooper who came up with the color codes of awareness? 'Coopers Corner' in a certain gun magazine has been a favorite read for a long time. Hope he's resting comfortably.

Chance favors the prepared mind. Louis Pasteur

The Second Amendment is not about duck hunting...It's about our right, all of our right (the citizens) to protect ourselves, from all of you guys (the politicians) up there. Suzanna Gratia-Hupp (survivor of the Luby's Restaurant massacre, Killeen, TX 10-16-91 both her parents were murdered in the massacre)
Go to Top of Page

garrettwc
Advanced Member

1032 Posts

Posted - September 15 2006 :  01:05:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As CXM posted in part the Colonel is home and resting. Hospice is helping the family. There is a more detailed letter from the family posted on the Cooper's Commentaries websites today.

nightlighter, my understanding is the same as your regarding the color codes.

Go to Top of Page

MikeG
Average Member

USA
324 Posts

Posted - September 15 2006 :  03:16:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nightlighter12

Was it Col.Cooper who came up with the color codes of awareness? 'Coopers Corner' in a certain gun magazine has been a favorite read for a long time. Hope he's resting comfortably.

I believe Jeff Cooper simply adapted a military system of color codes to civilian use.
He's another individual whose writings taught me things and made me think. I've long enjoyed his articles.
Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

34704 Posts

Posted - September 15 2006 :  09:44:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the color codes originated with some unknown soul in the WWII Marine Raiders-Jeff's advocacy and popularizing of it was a very noteworthy thing

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9868 Posts

Posted - September 19 2006 :  08:53:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nightlighter12

Many people misunderstand that Cooper's Color Codes are not about awareness (awarness is certainly a large part of the skill we need to use them however). They are part of what he calls "Mental Conditioning for Combat" and, as such, are specifically designed to help reduce the "reactionary gap" or the time it takes one to employ force (whether that be lethal or physical force).

It is very easy to confuse the issue with states of alert since we would obviosly also be raising our alert level at the same time.

The difference is in the higher levels. With the old military alert at Orange it could be said "A lot of enemy activity is increasing and the liklihood that we will be hit tonight has increased". With Cooper's Color Code it is a specific *potential* threat: "I might just have to shoot that man right there, before this is over."

Onward,
Jim H.

Go to Top of Page

nightlighter12
Advanced Member

USA
1202 Posts

Posted - September 21 2006 :  12:05:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim, 1st, I hope the good Col. is resting comfortably with his family. 2nd, if I got this right, yes, one might get 'hung-up' on 'what color condition' should I be in during a given situation. More importantly is what one is doing to get themselves OUT of harms way. The rules of engagement will be different for military combat, LEO, some private security types, and civilians. I mentioned the color codes merely to recognize what I thought was a concept introduced by Col.Cooper. Much as what I'd credit the orginators of the OODA loop (sorry, can't remember but I read it here first) and Keith Jones 'Channel Change'.

Chance favors the prepared mind. Louis Pasteur

The Second Amendment is not about duck hunting...It's about our right, all of our right (the citizens) to protect ourselves, from all of you guys (the politicians) up there. Suzanna Gratia-Hupp (survivor of the Luby's Restaurant massacre, Killeen, TX 10-16-91 both her parents were murdered in the massacre)
Go to Top of Page

A. Miguel - BR
Average Member

Brazil
407 Posts

Posted - September 21 2006 :  9:38:08 PM  Show Profile  Send A. Miguel - BR an ICQ Message  Click to see A. Miguel - BR's MSN Messenger address  Send A. Miguel - BR a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I pray that when the moment comes to him - as it will come to everyone of us - may his passing be calm, painless and with the support of his loved ones.

Brazil. That´s where all the nuts come from.

gnöthi seauton - mëden agan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.22seconds. Snitz Forums 2000