Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Snick
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Other
 Miscellaneous
 Snick
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Russ Larges

USA
2497 Posts

Posted - March 14 2006 :  6:28:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Was purusing my bookshelf and found Mel Tappan's Survival Guns.
Now the quiz. How many of you remember Mike Harris and the snick. I know it dates me some, but I can remember when Tappan's book was concidered the finial work on survival guns.
Still has some useful stuff in it.
Russ

The pistol, learn it well, carry it allways. Jeff Cooper

Barry in IN

USA
662 Posts

Posted - March 15 2006 :  3:57:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Somewhere on the web, there used to a collection of Michael Harries' columns he wrote for his gun club's newsletter. It may still be around. I always found them very informative, and copied most of them.
I would have liked to take some classes from him. He sounded like a good teacher. From reading his columns, I'm sure he could have written a better book than many out there now.

Too bad he passed so early.

Or my name ain't Nathan Arizona!
Go to Top of Page

jle3030
Advanced Member

USA
5764 Posts

Posted - March 15 2006 :  7:24:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is half recall and half guess. Wasn't the Snick a polymer holster of sorts??

Jeff

jle3030
Go to Top of Page

Daniel Watters

USA
149 Posts

Posted - March 15 2006 :  10:04:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jle3030

This is half recall and half guess. Wasn't the Snick a polymer holster of sorts??

Yes.
Go to Top of Page

Terry

USA
5481 Posts

Posted - March 16 2006 :  12:19:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I could be really wrong here but I remember the "snick" to be one of the first kydex holsters and originally made by Kevin "Mad Dog" McClung (sp?) of Mad Dog Knives.

"Simplicity is the last step of art, and the beginning of nature" Bruce Lee
von hier an blind
Go to Top of Page

Russ Larges

USA
2497 Posts

Posted - March 16 2006 :  10:16:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bingo..... It was named Snick from the sound made when the gun was drawn.
Now I may have to go back to my old books and look for another quiz.

The pistol, learn it well, carry it allways. Jeff Cooper
Go to Top of Page

Japle

225 Posts

Posted - March 16 2006 :  1:00:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I still have two; the original light duty job with the tab that went into the ejection port and the later one that enclosed the gun.

A friend managed to shoot himself in the leg with one of the original Snicks. Instead of snapping the gun out of the holster that way they said in the instructions, he tried wiggling it out slowly. He got the "tab" into the trigger guard. Then he pushed down. Did I mention that he also had the safety off?

BOOM! OUCH!

The 200 gr SWC entered the upper thigh and exited just above the knee. He made a full recovery.

I went out to the field where he'd been shooting and dug the bullet out of the ground. I took it to the Base hobby shop and cast it in a block of clear plastic. Made a nice gift for when he got out of the hospital.

John
Cape Canaveral

John
Viera, Florida

Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggie" whilst you find a rock.
Talleyrand
Go to Top of Page

Daniel Watters

USA
149 Posts

Posted - March 16 2006 :  4:44:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Terry

I could be really wrong here but I remember the "snick" to be one of the first kydex holsters and originally made by Kevin "Mad Dog" McClung (sp?) of Mad Dog Knives.

Nope, the Snick's original designer was Bud Watson. It was designed for match use under Cooper's "Mountain Man Holster Rules." Under these rules, the holster either had to be secured by a safety strap, or be able to maintain retention at double the weight of the pistol. To protest the proliferation of expensive open front race rigs, Watson made a holster out of styrofoam and a wire hanger. Match officials refused to allow Watson to use this holster for obvious reasons. Thus, Watson went back to the drawing board and created the forefather of the Snick from a sheet of plastic. After manufacturing a few for friends, Watson turned over the design to Mike Horne. Mike Harries then modified the design to make it better suited for concealed carry. Horne and Harries eventually went into business selling the holsters as the Snick.

Edited by - Daniel Watters on March 16 2006 4:46:02 PM
Go to Top of Page

Terry

USA
5481 Posts

Posted - March 16 2006 :  5:23:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks

I didn't know any of that.

"Simplicity is the last step of art, and the beginning of nature" Bruce Lee
von hier an blind
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic