Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
 All Forums
 Shooting
 The 1911
 front sight confusion

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I] Cheeky [:x)]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)] Speechless [:u]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)] Spin [88]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)] Loud [()]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?] Wink2 [;)]
Bugout [8~o] Kiss [xox] Love [xo] Grow [%] Cry [:-[)]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Russ Larges Posted - December 05 2017 : 08:24:13 AM
OK, now that I have one of these old guns how do I know if the sight tenon is wide or narrow or is it the Springfeild special? This is for a Springfeild 1911 A1.
Russ
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Russ Larges Posted - December 09 2017 : 8:00:11 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Higginbotham

Russ;

If you decide you like it then just send me the slide if you decide to put on the sights and I'll take off the old and measure the tenon. It is likely I have the correct front sight in here in my parts but if not I'll order one and install it for you.

Likely you will have to file it to zero it but I guarantee it will not shoot loose.

I own you a favor (remember the .350 Rem Mag brass).

Jim H.

Gee, that was some time ago. Thank you for the offer, I will keep it in mind.
Russ

BatteryOaksBilly Posted - December 08 2017 : 2:51:48 PM
JH.....a class act!
Jim Higginbotham Posted - December 06 2017 : 09:33:38 AM
Russ;

If you decide you like it then just send me the slide if you decide to put on the sights and I'll take off the old and measure the tenon. It is likely I have the correct front sight in here in my parts but if not I'll order one and install it for you.

Likely you will have to file it to zero it but I guarantee it will not shoot loose.

I own you a favor (remember the .350 Rem Mag brass).

Jim H.
Uncle Mike Posted - December 05 2017 : 9:11:53 PM
Hi Russ, less is more,.......Really, regards, Mike
Russ Larges Posted - December 05 2017 : 7:09:31 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Mike

quote:
Originally posted by Russ Larges

OK, now that I have one of these old guns how do I know if the sight tenon is wide or narrow or is it the Springfeild special? This is for a Springfeild 1911 A1.
Russ

Hi Russ, what are you trying to do? are you planning on replacing the front sight? , regards, Mike

Well, I don't know just what I will do, it depends on how I like the gun. If it turns out to be a keeper I will change out sights and put a beaver tail grip safety on it along with a commander hammer.
I suppose the cost then could equal a better grade gun and that might be the way to go. Too many options, boggles my mind.
Russ
Uncle Mike Posted - December 05 2017 : 10:50:46 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Russ Larges

Russ

Hi Russ, what are you trying to do? are you planning on replacing the front sight? , regards, Mike
Russ Larges Posted - December 05 2017 : 10:04:39 AM
I would guess this is the GI model as it has the small GI type sights.
Thanks
Russ
Jim Higginbotham Posted - December 05 2017 : 09:11:20 AM
It depends on the model I think.

I think you said yours was a "Mil Spec" but a mill spec has really nice fixed sights (the front is 1/8" wide and about .18" high).

OTOH the "G.I." model had the little old 1911a1 sights.

I've had some early S.A. 1911a1 models (they were not stamped "G.I.") and they had the standard narrow tenon.

But that might have changed when they brought out the the "Mil-spec" and started stamping them "G.I."

I've read that they have a .080 tenon which is called "medium" I think.

The only way to know for sure is take off the sight and measuring the tenon (you can get it off with a Dremal ball or bullet grinder to grind off the rivet then take a pair of Vice-grips and pull it out - there will be enough tenon to measure left.

Jim

StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.19seconds. Snitz Forums 2000