Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
 All Forums
 Stopping Power
 Stopping Power
 What is your thoughts on RIP Ammo?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I] Cheeky [:x)]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)] Speechless [:u]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)] Spin [88]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)] Loud [()]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?] Wink2 [;)]
Bugout [8~o] Kiss [xox] Love [xo] Grow [%] Cry [:-[)]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
PJS Posted - December 05 2017 : 04:39:46 AM
Does it work? In their website I just saw them blasting away watermelons and pineapples which i think will also be blown away by conventional JHP ammo..is it worth the money? Or the more "proven" JHP from known makers are more reliable?
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
jle3030 Posted - December 10 2017 : 08:46:47 AM
Rule of thumb: The more impressive the name; the greater the hype; the stranger the design, the less effective the bullet. Startup companies have to get noticed somehow - even if only temporarily.

Jeff
cwhart Posted - December 10 2017 : 05:00:12 AM
From what I remember seeing where someone shot it into gelatin on youtube, all those petals break off almost immediately and only penetrate a few inches leaving the reduced weight main body to do any meaningful depth and it certainly wasn't as good as a "normal" jhp. It does look cool and nasty in jello but kind of like birdshot looks way worse than the wound actually is. It would probably be devastating on small critters though.

It's also among the most expensive defensive ammo if I remember correctly, for the money you could get other proven premium ammo.
enidpd804 Posted - December 09 2017 : 11:09:16 PM
It's crap. The 9mm wound track looks no more impressive than .22 Magnum.
Chris Christian Posted - December 08 2017 : 3:50:47 PM
I'm always leery of the "Latest & Greatest Magic Bullets" ...until I have seen some actual street results (Thank You Evan!... your work was an eye opener).

I did not say that technology can't advance and that the products we rely on can't be improved. I just want to see something other than PR " pie in the sky" claims.

WR Moore Posted - December 08 2017 : 3:43:27 PM
quote:
Originally posted by pochis

yea but you can get it, I can not and I have tried a bunch.

Much like location as primary value in real estate, the primary value in incapacitation is shot placement in a vital system or structure of the body. To quote from The Book of Even: There are no magic bullets.

The products of major manufacturers (Black Hills, Cor-Bon, CCI, Federal, Hornaday, Remington or Speer will do fine in the mean time. Cor-Bon may have some advantages in certain cases, depends upon your actual needs. There's a thread here somewhere that says Cabellas has or will have Cor-Bon if you just gotta have it.
BatteryOaksBilly Posted - December 08 2017 : 2:46:53 PM
More magic bullets. FMJTC is my sought out salvation. Placement and penetration is my plan.
pochis Posted - December 07 2017 : 10:01:13 AM
yea but you can get it, I can not and I have tried a bunch.
Evan Posted - December 06 2017 : 1:13:38 PM
I told Peter PI, if I ever saw anything better than Cor Bon I'd tell him. Haven't seen it yet!
Ace Posted - December 05 2017 : 09:49:18 AM
Gimmick. Stay with the tried'n'true. Ace
Jim Higginbotham Posted - December 05 2017 : 08:56:59 AM
Everyone has to work out their own salvation but from what I've seen the stuff throws the brakes on when it expands - unless it rips (pardon the pun) the pedals off.

I've shot a few critters with ammo that either separates or fragments - it is fairly good on 10 lb critters, on 100 lb not so much.

Bullets that separate tend to turn perfect placement into lousy placement.

OTOH, bullets like the Barnes X, the Triple Shock and Cor-bon's now proprietary equivalent tend to hold together and tear tissue - works pretty darn good. If a RIP behaved like that it should work but it looks to me like it is designed to lose all those "fingers".

It might work in gelatin but I wonder how it will work in bone?

For sure I have more questions than answers on this stuff.

Jim H.
Pop Pop Posted - December 05 2017 : 08:26:30 AM
I will say up front, I have no experience with R I P ammo, but the name alone would keep me from using it for social work purposes. I try and stay away from all types of ammo that have Zombie Killer, and Rest In Peace ammo names. IMO, if one used this type of ammo, If forced into a self defense situation, one might have problems with prosecution painting you as a blood thirsty individual for using an ammo with that type of name, if one was prosecuted.

I feel the same about hanging signs on you door that has a picture of a gun, with the caption, "This House Protected by Smith Wesson," and putting bumper stickers on you car. IMO, most of the prospective jurors, in America, would not look upon such singe and names with the same sentiments as many her on this forum would. Sad, but average Americans believe what they have been programed to believe and symbolism is very influential in their thinking. Your country may be different, PJS.

I would only use it if it was the only ammo I could purchase, however in my "neck of the woods" I have many named brand ammos I can purchase for social work.

I just would not use this named ammo for self defense carry. The name is my problem (R I P). Others and YMMV.

StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.41seconds. Snitz Forums 2000