Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
 All Forums
 Other
 Miscellaneous
 The early origins of America’s ‘gun culture’

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I] Cheeky [:x)]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)] Speechless [:u]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)] Spin [88]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)] Loud [()]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?] Wink2 [;)]
Bugout [8~o] Kiss [xox] Love [xo] Grow [%] Cry [:-[)]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
LittleBill Posted - December 02 2017 : 11:51:08 AM
The 11/22/17 issue of the Washington Post published an essay by Second Amendment scholar David Kopel, entitled “The American Indian foundation of American gun culture”. In it Kopel talks about how having to fight the Indians transformed English settlers into ‘gun people’. Lots of interesting facts that I wasn’t aware of. Here’s an excerpt:

”Accordingly, most colonies enacted strict laws to instill and foster a firearms culture. This required changing the habits of some of the immigrants from Europe, most of whom came from places with much weaker arms cultures.

Of course the colonial laws included mandatory participation in the militia by able-bodied males and mandatory personal arms ownership for such participation. That part of the story is well-known. But the colonial laws went further.

Many laws required firearms ownership by any head of a household, even if the head were not militia-eligible (e.g., the head of the household was a woman or an old man.) Heads of households had to ensure that there was at least one firearm for every male in the household age 16 or over. This included free servants and indentured servants. Some colonies required that when a male indentured servant completed his term of service, his “freedom dues” (goods given by the master, so that the former servant could live independently) had to include a firearm.

To encourage settlement, the Carolina colony (today, North Carolina, South Carolina and Georgia) induced immigration by offering immigrants freehold land ownership, along with strong guarantees of religious liberty. To receive the land grant, an immigrant had to bring six months worth of provisions to take care of his family while his farm was being cleared and cultivated. Also required: ‘‘provided always, that every man be armed with a good musket full bore, 10 pounds powder and 20 pounds of bullet.’’ (See “A Brief Description of the Province of Carolina” (London 1666), a pamphlet by proprietors encouraging immigration, reprinted in “9 English Historical Documents: American Colonial Documents to 1776,” David C. Douglas gen. ed., Merrill Jensen ed., 1955).

The Massachusetts Bay Colony ordered parents to arrange for arms training for all their children aged 10 or above, both boys and girls. Conscientious objectors were exempt.

Arms carrying was often mandatory for travel outside of towns and for attendance at large public events, particularly church services. Then, as now, unarmed church services were favorite targets for attack, because there would be lots of people gathered in a small space.
[emphasis mine]

So one effect of the Anglo-Indian encounter was to foster a culture of widespread household gun ownership and widespread arms carrying.”

Googling will get you to the entire article.
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Pop Pop Posted - December 09 2017 : 07:19:31 AM
Those who surrender the gun, will be dominated by those who don't.
LittleBill Posted - December 09 2017 : 02:32:49 AM
“True that”: once the Gov’t takes your guns, what else you get to keep is completely up to them.

Ten Driver Posted - December 08 2017 : 10:10:41 PM
Perhaps we need to "update" some old quotes for the Snowflake Generation to understand them?

I'm thinking this might be a good start:

"The government that is strong enough to take away your guns is strong enough to take your marijuana, too!"

Ugh.

Mike
LittleBill Posted - December 03 2017 : 3:32:05 PM
Those are truths of history which are NOT being taught in our public schools anymore! The ‘progressive elements’ are doing their best to indoctrinate upcoming generations with the ‘new understanding’ that a gun-free America will actually make us all much more free.

silverback Posted - December 02 2017 : 9:27:52 PM
I was told by my Dad and Grandpa to always remember what happened when the government told our people turn in your guns we will protect you.You will never see natives turn in there guns again.Just the view from this side of the fence.
Malcolm Posted - December 02 2017 : 9:15:27 PM
Well, folks in my “culture club”, still embrace the early Colonial Gun Culture, much to the distaste of California’s Communist in Residence, Kamala Harris. Soon to be running for El Presidents for Life in 2020. Ms. Harris is a huge fan of re-writing history to suit her personal political ideology of violence and Marxist goals, instead of the freedoms embraced by my early Colonial ancestors.
Guess we shall see if she is successful in becoming America’s MadamaMugabe, hopefully she won’t.
Ace Posted - December 02 2017 : 9:01:46 PM
I'm in the column that believes if the 2nd Amendment was properly interpreted, it requires participation in the militia---the militia of the 1700's, not some sort of National Guard like we have today, which no such thing existed when the Amendment was written.
Just imagine a Federal judge ruling on a 2A case like that, and requiring that municipalities, towns, and cities start organizing militia units to provide for their own defense. Ace
LittleBill Posted - December 02 2017 : 12:27:24 PM
Yep!

And the lead article in this month’s Rangemaster newsletter— about the CT home invasion murders— shows that even today, even in peaceful middle-class American neighborhoods, it’s still possible to be attacked.... and ‘be prepared’, ‘better safe than sorry’, and ‘when seconds count, help is only minutes away’ are still ‘words to live by’.

Chris Christian Posted - December 02 2017 : 12:22:04 PM
It's amazing how quickly cultural mind shifts can occur when one suddenly realizes that they could be attacked with deadly force at any moment -- and they have to be their own first responders

The "cavalry" had very slow horses in those days. And they didn't feature flashing blue lights

StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.27seconds. Snitz Forums 2000