Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
 All Forums
 Other
 Miscellaneous
 Bustin Caps Today

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I] Cheeky [:x)]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)] Speechless [:u]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)] Spin [88]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)] Loud [()]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?] Wink2 [;)]
Bugout [8~o] Kiss [xox] Love [xo] Grow [%] Cry [:-[)]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Pop Pop Posted - November 25 2017 : 3:12:21 PM
Daughter and her family here today. The morning warmed up nicely, sunny and about 50. We went out and shot some guns. I took my new Henry 38Spl/357 Mag lever gun, SW 8 shot 22 LR revolver, and my EDC Taurus 38/357 mag 7 shot revolver. The latter was stocked with 7 Cor Bon DPX rounds plus 8 in a speed strip. I have been carrying them for a while and needed to fire them to keep fresh ammo in my EDC.

When I fired the snubbie, with 357 DPX, my son-in-law's father said, Man! The ground shook.

It was my first outing, with the Henry, and I was interested to see if the lever gun would feed and fire 38Spl. Some have reported their carbines have problems with the shorter cases. No problems as long as you hold the Carbine firmly. It ate and cycled over 150 rounds with only 1 failure, when my son-in-law short stroked the lever. I think he was afraid he was going to break it so I told him to work the lever like he meant too, with gusto. Never had another problem.

All fell in love with the carbine. Even me. It was a hoot to shoot. That thing is really nice and has very little recoil, even with 357. My daughter and I both hit, off hand, at 65 yards, on a 6" swinging steel plate. It is not as cheap to shoot as a 9MM but not too bad with 130 gr Winchester white box flat point practice ammo.

The carbine was very accurate. I will need to sand bag the gun to check how accurate it really is, but we dinged the steel many times.

My 9 Y O grandson an d his 6 year old sister loved to fire the 22 LR pistol. The both fired the carbine also but she really liked the pistol.

Son-in-law and his father fired them all and we all enjoyed the outing. It is great to be able to go out into the back yard and fire away. Ain't America grand?

My backstop has rotted down, after 20 years, and I am going to be forced to build an earthen one this spring. Good thing my other son-in-law's dad has a construction company and dump trucks. Will build one as soon as we can get the trucks in the yard without getting them stuck. Got a great place where I can pile up the dirt about 12 ft upwards and about 25 ft wide. Will be able to move and shoot then.

I will say I am always thoughtful, where the neighbors are concerned, and do not shoot early or late. So far no problems and hope to keep it that way.

Just had a great time.
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Pop Pop Posted - November 28 2017 : 08:23:22 AM
Well we took our last daughter to the Nashville Air Port yesterday. We are once again empty nesters and in need of some rest. My wife wanted me to help with decorating for Christmas yesterday, but I had other plans. Put the winter cover over the RV for one. Will help her today along with some lazy boy sitting, at times.

Been pondering the Henry Lever Gun and our outing with it. I really like that carbine. I don't have any practice 357 left to shoot, but need to get some. The owners manual says it is primarily a 357 shooter, but will fire the 38 Spl, however may have some feeding problems. We had one stovepipe, out of 150 rounds we fired, but I am pretty sure my son-in-law short stroked the lever when cycling. He was very careful with it and needed to work the slide a little harder.

I have a Ruger 40 caliber semi auto carbine, that I purchased used from a Duputy, and really have had a good time with it. I do like pistol caliber carbines, for sure lever guns. I gave my Marlin 30 30 to my grandson and do miss it. May find me another. I am really fond of, and like to shoot lever guns.

The pistol caliber carbines go well with the EDC guns I have carried in the past. I mostly leave the carbines behind the seats of my truck always keeping them out of sight, when traveling. That way I only need one kind of ammo. Must try the Henry on my carry ammo before stowing it in the truck for service.

I always check to see if it is legal to have the long gun in the states we travel in. Some states don't allow you have a round in the chamber. The Henry took the 38Spl nicely, but I want to load it with 357 for service. Going to test some carry ammo through it when I get enough milk jugs on hand. I was well pleased. Now I need to get it out and sand bag it for accuracy and see where the sights are. I like Speer Gold Dots, Remington Golden Saber Bonded + P, and DPX.

Good past week with my family for sure. We seem to always end up out back shooting, which I enjoy. Wish it could happen more often.

Edited to add. The 22 revolver was a big hit also. Took a 333 box of Winchester and came back with about 1/4 of it left. They fired that little 3" revolver until it got real warm.

Go to my Cardiologist, Dec 5th, to get a release for surgery. Left knee replacement set for Mar 5th, if he releases me for surgery. Right one soon after. Going to be a hard spring around "Reed Manor" this coming year.
Pop Pop Posted - November 26 2017 : 3:35:38 PM
Dave, we have had family for the past week. The last daughter goes to the Airport tomorrow morning. You are correct, family fun is grand. We only seem to be able to do this at Thanksgiving. Most all my family works, and must work Christmas, if off on Thanksgiving.
Dave in PA Posted - November 25 2017 : 6:18:44 PM
Pop Pop, I read about your day and it made me smile. Good times with loved ones truly is priceless.
Pop Pop Posted - November 25 2017 : 3:48:36 PM
Chris, my son-in-law has some red clay dirt they were paid to haul off. It will sit nicely atop of a large pile of large rocks in the corner of my back yard. The pile is already about 5 ft tall and we will take a loader and pile the dirt on top of the rock pile, taking care to have about 5 ft of dirt in front of the boulders so I won't get any bounce back at close distances. The boulders are in a line about 25' wide and I have thick trees and undergrowth to buffer "the offensive to neighbors" sound. I figure about 5 loads (80 ton) will do the trick. Should last a long time.

My kids love to come here and shoot. They all hone their skills, which we all need. I am glad they take their personal safety seriously. That is one good thing I have done.
Chris Christian Posted - November 25 2017 : 3:36:17 PM
Pop Pop, it sounds like a great day! I have a thought on building a berm.

I live if Florida. Heavy summer rains, and a hurricane every few years.

I've found that 'basic dirt' tends to wear down quickly under the elements, even if you get grass growing on it to provide some 'hold'. Clay sand, maybe a bit more expensive in your area then mine, seems to last. My first clay sand berm went 19 years with five hurricanes, and the normal summer 'thunderboomers' (which can pound down about as much rain as a hurricane in a short period of time.

And, after 19 years it didn't wear down completely. One load of clay sand ($160) piled right on top of the 3 feet of berm that was left brought me back to where I needed to be, and I suspect it will outlive me.

Just a thought. Clay sand seems to resist rain/erosion very well and grass will grow on it.

StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.16seconds. Snitz Forums 2000