Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
 All Forums
 Shooting
 Pistol Palace
 S&W 5946 trigger reset problem

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I] Cheeky [:x)]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)] Speechless [:u]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)] Spin [88]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)] Loud [()]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?] Wink2 [;)]
Bugout [8~o] Kiss [xox] Love [xo] Grow [%] Cry [:-[)]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
ajt Posted - June 12 2017 : 5:28:07 PM
I've been looking locally for a S&W 5906 since before Christmas. At one time they were plentiful but I apparently waited too long to decide to pick one up. A couple weeks ago while perusing the LGS's locally I found one with three 5946's - double action only, and got a decent buy on what I considered to be the best of the batch. A trial at the range found that it takes a lot more concentration than a da/sa to shoot accurately. And the recoil was more than I expected, which I attributed to the hard skinny grips. Ordered a set of Hogue's, watched a youtube video on how to install them, read the instructions and then installed them - no problems. When I tried a function check I found that the trigger will not reset with the Hogue's. Put the original's back on and it works fine, Refit the Hogue grips and its the same problem. Comparing the grips did not reveal any apparent clues. Checked the package and it states that it will fit the 5946, as well as other third generation S&W third generation 5900 series.

Anyone have any idea what to look for or what I may have done wrong?

My wife has it right and has already reminded me of how many times I have sworn to never ever attempt any repair, or assemble anything ever again (including 'some assembly required' on anything for the house and at Christmas time). But I have always been able to do simple grip changes (and work on pre-1970 cars)! At least I could pre 1970. Any suggestion/assistance will be appreciated.
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
WR Moore Posted - June 21 2017 : 8:13:16 PM
It's been awhile, IIRC the 5946 is a DAO pistol. Depending upon production run, some of these had excessive trigger overtravel. A bunch of these became available locally a few years back and I fit trigger stops to them for co-workers to eliminate the excessive travel. Made a major difference.
ajt Posted - June 16 2017 : 10:34:37 PM
Decided not to mess with it and took it to the gunsmith. He said it was a basic installation and he had fired a mag through it with no problems. I put a hundred rounds through it with no problems. It's still going to be a long while before I ever trust it as part of my defensive battery - maybe after a few thousand more rounds... . Until then I'll keep it in mind as a possible trade. I can always use another BHP.
ajt Posted - June 13 2017 : 12:31:48 PM
Spoke with Carly in Customer Service at Hogue. They have heard of this with other guns as a result of over-tightening the grips - but not on a 5946. She spoke with a gunsmith and asked me to email her pictures of the grips and assembly, on and off the firearm, and the gunsmith will look at them. Will probably get that done this evening when my son comes over - he has much steadier hands than I do, and infinite patience.
ajt Posted - June 12 2017 : 11:13:55 PM
The video I watched was a 10:03 (I think) youtube by HogueInc. Definitely by HogueInc.
Will let you know what I find out.
Uncle Mike Posted - June 12 2017 : 10:38:49 PM
Hi, are you watching the YouTube by Pat Hogue "Installing a Hogue Grip on a Third-Generation S&W pistol"? I looked at it again and maybe the main spring with that adapter is not installed correctly. This stuff fascinates me. Keep us informed, regards, Mike
ajt Posted - June 12 2017 : 8:50:32 PM
Thanks Uncle Mike. I checked the package against the sku you listed - it matches. I tried loosening the screws and that didn't work. I removed and replaced each side of the grip using the circular application listed in the directions - nothing. tried it with each grip off separately - nothing. I noticed that there appears to be a groove in a part that is located right in front of the hammer spring that matches the location of the spring strut but never goes back far enough to actually engage it. There are no wear marks to indicate that it actually ever did. I noticed that when I work the slide I will occasionally hear/feel a click and it will reset (with the old grips) but that I do not get that with the new. I also found when looking inside with a flashlight that there was a lot of yellowish 'gunk', for want of a better word, similar to old motor oil on an engine, up in the trigger/hammer mechanism and I gave it a good soaking with solvent twice, blew it out with an air compressor, let it dry and lightly sprayed some tetra-lube up into it. Its cleaner now but that's it. I'll call Hogue tomorrow, if that doesn't bring anything to light I'll just pack it up and take it to the gunsmith at the local range. It seems like I must be missing something here as this shouldn't be complicated at all, but this seems to be the way as I get older. Nothing works the same anymore - including me.
Thanks again!
Uncle Mike Posted - June 12 2017 : 6:28:27 PM
Hi, I looked at a few videos on installing these grips. Hogue marks these 5900 series and SKU # 40010. It looks fairly basic. Do all the seams line up? Did you over tighten the screws. There are several springs in there but since your pistol works with the old grips they must still be there. My guess and only a guess is the grip may be binding on the "draw bar" the only part I see that could be affected. If you take off the left grip stock you will see it through the opening. Put the right stock on and try a function test without the left. If you can't resolve this call Hogue. Hope this helps regards, Mike

StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.27seconds. Snitz Forums 2000