Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
 All Forums
 Shooting
 The 1911
 1991a1

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I] Cheeky [:x)]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)] Speechless [:u]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)] Spin [88]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)] Loud [()]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?] Wink2 [;)]
Bugout [8~o] Kiss [xox] Love [xo] Grow [%] Cry [:-[)]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Russ Larges Posted - June 16 2019 : 4:06:46 PM
Well, I am back in the 1911 fan club. Acquired a 1991a1, the five inch model made in 1995. I have heard that some of the early ones were not all that well made. Mine has a alloy trigger but has the nylon back strap. It has rubber grips and a commander hammer. So I don't know if it falls into the not so good group. It doesn't seem to have been shot much and knowing who owned I am sure it hasn't been.
Maybe some of you 1911 guys can enlighten me on this piece.
Russ
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
gw Posted - June 24 2019 : 08:00:11 AM
could never warm up to the short grip on the Officers Model

the short slide was problematic too

the early Colt OMs as an example had a thin bushing, the front of the slide could crash into the lugs, something had to give usually the bushing shutting down the gun

the bushingless design solved some, but they were still sensitive to cartridge length with hot ammo

having said that I had 3 examples from different mfgs that all worked for me, mostly using standard pressure ammo

but I find the Commander size gun with full length grip more appealing, or just a good 5inch full size....
Jim Higginbotham Posted - June 23 2019 : 8:09:02 PM
Russ;

I have two Officers models and a 3rd parts gun with an officers frame, one is a light weight, the other two now have Commander length slides.

I don't carry any of them hardly ever, I have no problem hiding two 1911s though sometimes I substitute a Scandium Commander for one of them.

I don't see the need for a smaller gun and if I did it would probably be a J-frame.

Jim H.
Russ Larges Posted - June 18 2019 : 5:19:12 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Higginbotham

I've never found a problem with the nylon MS housing and it does save weight - but, like you Russ, I prefer arched as that is what I learned on.

I also like a lanyard loop but that is a minor thing.

I have a few 1991a1s, I've only seen one bad one, they simply were not highly polished version of their better finished brethren - they come in 5", 4.25" and Officer length.

Jim H.

Jim, I had the option of a Officer length or a full 5 inch. I chose the long one of course. I did not like the short one at all, very hard to run the slide and it needed short mags which I did not have.
Russ
Jim Higginbotham Posted - June 18 2019 : 3:59:27 PM
I've never found a problem with the nylon MS housing and it does save weight - but, like you Russ, I prefer arched as that is what I learned on.

I also like a lanyard loop but that is a minor thing.

I have a few 1991a1s, I've only seen one bad one, they simply were not highly polished version of their better finished brethren - they come in 5", 4.25" and Officer length.

Jim H.
Russ Larges Posted - June 17 2019 : 9:48:47 PM
quote:
Originally posted by garrettwc

Russ, I am going to assume a Colt since you said 1991a1. Does it have the small more traditional Colt roll marks or the big 1991A1 billboard on the slide? I had a Commander made just after they returned to the small roll marks, and other than a bad extractor (they tried a MIM one, but quickly realized that was a bad idea) it ran 100%. The nylon mainspring housing is a non-issue and held up well.

Most quality 1911s will run fine, contrary to what the interwebs will tell you. If the extractor tension is good, you feed it good ammo, and use good magazines it should serve you well.

Yup, it is a Colt and it has the billboard roll marking. I shot it tonight at a local ipsc club practice night. It went with out fail for some 90 rounds. I did find a arched main spring housing for it as I like them better then the flat. I do need to get a beavertail grip safety, it did not bite but was a little sharp. I also need to stone the trigger face as it is sharp too. All in all it was a good shooter.
Russ
garrettwc Posted - June 17 2019 : 8:18:02 PM
Russ, I am going to assume a Colt since you said 1991a1. Does it have the small more traditional Colt roll marks or the big 1991A1 billboard on the slide? I had a Commander made just after they returned to the small roll marks, and other than a bad extractor (they tried a MIM one, but quickly realized that was a bad idea) it ran 100%. The nylon mainspring housing is a non-issue and held up well.

Most quality 1911s will run fine, contrary to what the interwebs will tell you. If the extractor tension is good, you feed it good ammo, and use good magazines it should serve you well.

StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.08seconds. Snitz Forums 2000