Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
 All Forums
 Shooting
 The Rifle Rack
 HenryĎs new Side gate lever

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I] Cheeky [:x)]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)] Speechless [:u]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)] Spin [88]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)] Loud [()]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?] Wink2 [;)]
Bugout [8~o] Kiss [xox] Love [xo] Grow [%] Cry [:-[)]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Dov Posted - April 27 2019 : 08:52:09 AM
Iím really interested, normal side gate loading plus out end of mag tube.

Makes for much better administrative handling IMHO.

Currently they are listing 30-30; 38-55; & 35 Rem caliber options.
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
WR Moore Posted - August 14 2019 : 11:46:02 AM
The Lyman 429421 generally runs 250 or so grains depending upon lead alloy. I got a reply from Henry that says it takes all SAAMI ammo, which is a 1.610 OAL. I've emailed them back about that and noted that a little more room would be a major selling point.

They're also evaluating adding loading gates to other rifles, no comment until they decide to do so and actually produce them.
MikeG Posted - August 13 2019 : 11:04:41 PM
quote:
Originally posted by WR Moore

Anyone have any idea how long a cartridge either the Henry or Marlin can feed in .44 Magnum? My favorite .44 general purpose round is about 1.710 in or about 1/10" longer than the factory standard OAL.

I don't know about length, but I believe, due to the rifling twist maximum bullet weight in .44 magnum Henrys is 270 grains.

My wife has a Big Boy Rifle in .44 magnum, I just got a steel carbine in .41 magnum.
WR Moore Posted - August 13 2019 : 3:25:24 PM
Anyone have any idea how long a cartridge either the Henry or Marlin can feed in .44 Magnum? My favorite .44 general purpose round is about 1.710 in or about 1/10" longer than the factory standard OAL.
LittleBill Posted - May 01 2019 : 08:55:35 AM
The detachable-magazine-fed Henry Long Ranger lever actions have also gotten lots of favorable reviews.

Dov Posted - May 01 2019 : 07:49:22 AM
Iím hoping the loading gate of the Henry allows smoother loading than gf's 336Y does.

Planning to have gunsmith smooth up the 336Y a bit but realized early on that loading ammo through loading gate on it was an administrative procedure.

If I need to load the 336Y in hurry Iíll throw a round in the chamber with action open, thatís pretty slick with it.
WR Moore Posted - April 29 2019 : 9:50:41 PM
After reading about a loading gate, my fingers flew over to the Henry website. Unfortunately at this time the only calibers with a loading gate are .38-55, ,30-30 and .35 Remington. I was hoping for .44 Magnum and/or .357 Magnum.
jle3030 Posted - April 28 2019 : 09:00:38 AM
Over the past few years Henry seems to have gained the reputation of being the class of the field in leverguns. My one gripe with the brand has been its lack of a loading gate on the receiver. My favorite .22 rifle is a Marlin 39-A, so I have no problem with loading through the tube on a hunting or recreational gun. But for a rifle that might serve as a SD weapon, having to load the tube up near the muzzle, while engaged, has been a complete nonstarter.

I wish Henry all the best with their new design. In our evolving political climate I expect leverguns and revolvers to stage a real world comeback.

Jeff
Pop Pop Posted - April 28 2019 : 07:44:32 AM
I purchased a Henry 38/357 lever gun 4 years ago. I really like it and have had no problems with either 38 Spl or 357. My youngest daughter loves the rifle. My 30 30 was a Marlin 336 and I gave it too my grandson to deer hunt in S Carolina. My henry Big Boy is great and I am satisfied with it. I recently looked at/read about a 308 Henry lever gun. Would be a good caliber for hunting IMO. Never had any dealings with the calibers you listed, but am very happy with my Henry Brass chamber rifle. It was not cheap!

StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.05seconds. Snitz Forums 2000