Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
 All Forums
 Shooting
 The Shotgun Center
 Typical 100 yard accuracy smoothbore?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I] Cheeky [:x)]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)] Speechless [:u]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)] Spin [88]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)] Loud [()]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?] Wink2 [;)]
Bugout [8~o] Kiss [xox] Love [xo] Grow [%] Cry [:-[)]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Dov Posted - March 10 2019 : 10:43:32 AM
Was doing a bit of research on Brown Bess muskets and got thinking about shotgun accuracy again.

I shot my Winchester 1300 a lot out to 50 yards, but never tested it further.

It would do around 3-4Ē groups with Remington Fosters at 50 yards.

One of my buddies who has owned a lot more guns than me, not to mentioned done more competitive shooting (he is certainly a better shot overall than myself) suggested my 1300 was a better than average slug gun.

Though might have been I put more time on slugs, he definitely prefers buckshot primarily in shotguns with slugs reserved for special purposes while Iím the opposite.

I prefer slugs primarily and only use buckshot where slug is bad idea, like in apartment home defense.

Part of that preference was from trying buckshot at 3x5 inch index card, representing heart, superimposed on paper plate and aiming for index card with both buck and slug in the pre flight control days.

You had to be really close with buckshot to be fairly certain of hitting that 3x5 inch area actually being aimed at, which Iíve always felt detracts from taking adavsntage of distance advantage that a long gun should have over handgun.
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
WR Moore Posted - March 31 2019 : 6:33:14 PM
The same day Jim multi-posted, I had the same issue on another board. Must be Asian hackers or the machines doing a dry run on take over.

It's been decades, but back then the hot slug setup was the Winchester/BRI sabot slugs in 3 inch hulls. I tried them and recall being impressed, but I live in a rifle county so the interest was intellectual and I flat don't recall the exact results. Foggy memory suggests they were pricey compared to standard Fosters.

If you've got interchangeable chokes, the rifled tubes are supposed to be nearly as good as a full rifled barrel with the sabots.

I expect that with the Brown Bess, you were lucky to hit a standing man at 100 yards, possibly much closer. They stood in close packed ranks back then for good reason. Remember the order about not firing until you could see the whites of their eyes.
Ace Posted - March 26 2019 : 07:24:18 AM
OK, Jim, we get it! Ace
Jim Higginbotham Posted - March 26 2019 : 07:17:28 AM
Dov;

I've had shotguns that are all over the map, and it does not seem to matter which make - two of the same brand might shoot incredibly differently.

My first "serious" shotgun (for self defense) was a High Standard riot gun. I had run into a deal on a bunch of receiver sights new in the box and I found one that would fit in the H.S. in the lot. I Sorldered on a front sight ramp.

That gun will shoot Federal slugs (Foster type) into 4" at 100 yards.

I once worked at a place which required shotgun or muzzle loaders to hunt deer and I bought a Mossberg with a bolt action with arifled barrel and I purchacsed every brand of slug I could find. I also mounted a 1-4 scope on it.

Most went into that same 4" group at 100 yards. I did find a couple of sabot type slugs that came down to 2.5". Oddly enough, I have a Winchester 1300 that has screw in chokes I bought used for $150. I put a scope on it and installed an extended rifled choke tube - it also shoots about 2.5" with some types of slugs.

My most accurate shotgun is an H&R single shot with a rifled barrel (it too has a scope). Hornady 250 gr SST slugs will print 1.5" groups all day long and get around 2200 fps - for me that ended my quest of a deer gun where shotguns are required but for self defense I don't need the extra range.

That High standard will plant all the standard Foster slugs in a ragged hole (albeit a large ragged hole) at 50 yards - why it opens up to 4" at 100 is anyone's guess?

Onward!

Jim H.
Jim Higginbotham Posted - March 26 2019 : 07:17:24 AM
Dov;

I've had shotguns that are all over the map, and it does not seem to matter which make - two of the same brand might shoot incredibly differently.

My first "serious" shotgun (for self defense) was a High Standard riot gun. I had run into a deal on a bunch of receiver sights new in the box and I found one that would fit in the H.S. in the lot. I Sorldered on a front sight ramp.

I once worked at a place which required shotgun or muzzle loaders to hunt deer and I bought a Mossberg with a bolt action with arifled barrel and I purchacsed every brand of slug I could find. I also mounted a 1-4 scope on it.

Most went into that same 4" group at 100 yards. I did find a couple of sabot type slugs that came down to 2.5". Oddly enough, I have a Winchester 1300 that has screw in chokes I bought used for $150. I put a scope on it and installed an extended rifled choke tube - it also shoots about 2.5" with some types of slugs.

My most accurate shotgun is an H&R single shot with a rifled barrel (it too has a scope). Hornady 250 gr SST slugs will print 1.5" groups all day long and get around 2200 fps - for me that ended my quest of a deer gun where shotguns are required but for self defense I don't need the extra range.

That High standard will plant all the standard Foster slugs in a ragged hole (albeit a large ragged hole) at 50 yards - why it opens up to 4" at 100 is anyone's guess?

Onward!

Jim H.
Jim Higginbotham Posted - March 26 2019 : 07:17:20 AM
Dov;

Onward!

Jim H.
Jim Higginbotham Posted - March 26 2019 : 07:17:11 AM
Dov;

Onward!

Jim H.
Ace Posted - March 10 2019 : 9:46:50 PM
Had a Stoeger 12ga coach gun that would put both slugs on a 8.5x11 paper at 25 yards, using Federal TruBall loads. Didn't have occasion to try them farther out, but wouldn't expect any useful accuracy at 100. Ace
ACP230 Posted - March 10 2019 : 5:56:26 PM
The times I shot my Mossberg 590 at 100 it
held about a 10 inch group. The group was 12 inches low. Putting the
bayonet on raised the group a bit. At the revamped bowling pin shoot at
Central Lake I held on the top of the large steel targets at 90 yards and hit
them most of the time. (Couldn't get hits fast enough, however.) I used
Remington reduced recoil slugs at the shoot.

At 50 yards the gun would shoot two slugs touching, quite often, and then
throw one about an inch out of group. So, a three inch group, overall on a
good day.

I have hunted deer with the Mossberg but never got a shot.

StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.06seconds. Snitz Forums 2000