Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
 All Forums
 Shooting
 Pistol Palace
 New Round?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I] Cheeky [:x)]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)] Speechless [:u]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)] Spin [88]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)] Loud [()]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?] Wink2 [;)]
Bugout [8~o] Kiss [xox] Love [xo] Grow [%] Cry [:-[)]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Ace Posted - December 17 2018 : 10:03:15 AM
A guy was in the store the other day, talking about a new round he had heard of, a '.357 Sig 9R'. Said it was made from .223 brass cut down and necked to .357, which somehow allowed for higher pressures because the rifle brass is stronger than pistol brass. He couldn't tell me any more details, and when I tried the Googly thing, nothing came up.
So, has anyone heard of this? Am I right to be skeptical, or am I just behind the curve again? Ace
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Jim Higginbotham Posted - December 20 2018 : 09:35:04 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Ten Driver

The only "9R" I'm familiar with is that Armscor product, the TCM

Likewise. The "9r" is a vairation they made to fit in shorter magazines so one can convert a gun other than a 1911 to the .22 TCM.

The .22 TCM (both of them) are similar in case size to the .223 and necked down.

As GW says, you cannot neck down a .223 / 5.56 Case to get .355 diameter bullets - if you cut down the case it will take .355 or .357 bullets as long as you ream the case to take it.

See the ".38 Super Cooper" of the late 1960s.

I made a Wildcat called "the 9mm Express" on the 5.56 NATO around 1974 which is essentially a 9X24 mm (Super .38 brass is 23 mm long). The longer case was so you could square off the chamber of Colt guns to headspace on the case mouth - Super .38s headspaced on the rim back then - well sort of.

I also called it: "The Poor Man's Super Cooper" because you did not have to buy a new barrel to get the ballistic advantage. That said the "Super Cooper" fired a 125 JHP at 1750 fps (it was a 7" barrel I think). Mine only got 1650 from a 5" barrel.

It is of course a straight case, or slightly tapered like the later 9X23 Winchester round (and the earlier 9X23 Largo).

Jim
gw Posted - December 18 2018 : 10:24:17 AM
with folks giving up on the .40 and .357 Sig because it beats up guns

I don't see a market for 50K psi service ammo

but with states like Indiana allowing straight walled rifle ammo for deer hunting, something like the .357 Rimless in an AR might sell.

having been guilty of not knowing what I'm talking about, I'm slow to put that handle on anyone else.....
Ace Posted - December 17 2018 : 6:51:18 PM
So, he doesn't know what he's talking about?!

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt; he's old enough to have been Moses' bodyguard. Ace
Ten Driver Posted - December 17 2018 : 12:10:33 PM
The only "9R" I'm familiar with is that Armscor product, the TCM
gw Posted - December 17 2018 : 11:35:11 AM
you couldn't form .357 Sig brass from a .223 case

my guess he's talking about the .357 rimless

you can barrel an AR for it, turns it into a .357 carbine

maybe Sig is chambering rifles for that from the factory

StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.09seconds. Snitz Forums 2000