Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
 All Forums
 Be Prepared
 Emergency Preparedness
 Ready for?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I] Cheeky [:x)]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)] Speechless [:u]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)] Spin [88]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)] Loud [()]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?] Wink2 [;)]
Bugout [8~o] Kiss [xox] Love [xo] Grow [%] Cry [:-[)]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Arvinator Posted - October 16 2018 : 6:45:36 PM
Recently I was at the kids house and we were talking about disasters and being ready. I threw out the question if they were ready for sudden loss of water supply. Made me think about emergency preparedness and I asked myself a few questions from just one word topics. Water? Food? Electricity? Winter storms? Civil unrest? Makes me think and look over our plan and supplies. Just food for thought
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
LittleBill Posted - December 29 2018 : 09:17:27 AM
Joel Skousen’s excellent book Strategic Relocation (3rd Edition) has a lot of interesting information and opinion on the sorts of areas you want to be— and don’t want to be— following a major ‘event’.

LittleBill Posted - December 29 2018 : 08:55:35 AM
I agree with you, Jeff. I just didn’t express myself very well.

I wasn’t talking about a place that’s isolated from everything and far from other people; which, as you point out, is great as long as you remain hidden, probably not so great if the hordes find you.

I was just meaning far from major urban areas which are likely to become sources of rioting, pillaging and mass marauding, when and if ‘the system’ ever breaks down.

Best location of all perhaps is in or outside a small town in a rural/agricultural area where most folks have attained some degree of self-sufficiency; where like-minded people can band together and help each other out with tasks such as neighborhood watch. Far enough from places like DC, Memphis, Atlanta, Detroit, Chicago, Cleveland, Baltimore, etc that the barbarian hordes would find it hard to get to.

jle3030 Posted - December 28 2018 : 11:40:30 AM
quote:
Originally posted by LittleBill

Always worth thinking about!

And part of that includes prioritizing the various threats, in terms of severity:

An unruly mob can kill you in a heartbeat. Lack of shelter in severe winter conditions can kill you in a matter of hours. Lack of water can kill you in a few days. While you can endure a lack of food for weeks if you have to. (Some of us, who have had the foresight to accumulate our own ‘emergency food stash’ around our waist, could last much longer than that!)

Depending on where you are, civil unrest and mob anarchy could deprive you of everything you’ve stocked in preparation.

My ideal homestead would be far from the nearest big city; and would include a water supply that wasn’t dependent on grid power. And of course, the means of defending me and those I love.

I have mixed feelings about the isolated homestead concept. On one hand you have the potential for being more self sufficient WRT long term food and water supply. OTOH if marauders come calling, you and yours are pretty much on your own. 24/7 on guard status would be hard to maintain.

If we stockpile and stay home, most of us could set up a neighborhood watch support system. I see mixed blessings there too. While arguably safer from outside intruders, there's the question of diluting our own resources sharing with less prepared neighbors. Or having to defend against our own neighbors if they suspect we have stuff that they don't. Communal living tends to break down fast under stress or even in the normal course of people having to share equal responsibility.

Jeff
Pop Pop Posted - December 28 2018 : 11:23:58 AM
My well water can be reached and drawn with a "slender(5") drilled well bucket" tied to a rope. The well water has been tested, in the past, and found suitable for drinking. The water level is about 15 feet down in the well casing pipe. Don't know how it would stay at that level with continued use. The well is a drilled well, and 110 feet deep. It is cased(6"casing) down to 80 feet. The well was here, on the property, when I built my house in 1984, and was drilled and tested in 1978. For us, the well is a comforting thing should we need it.

I have never used it nor put a pump in the well. I have utility water, and didn't need it, however the well is here if/when ever needed. I grew up with a well, and I don't like them because of the upkeep. Our pump went out every electrical storm we had. My son-in-law has a well and the pump is down in it now. If the grid goes down the electric pump would be useless any ways.
WR Moore Posted - December 28 2018 : 10:20:44 AM
I'd like to come up with a hand pump for our well. What I had/have in mind was the old cast iron pump of ye olden dayes. What I've been finding is a bunch of plastic pipe assemblies. I can't see that as a long term answer to the problem.
LittleBill Posted - October 16 2018 : 7:54:39 PM
Always worth thinking about!

And part of that includes prioritizing the various threats, in terms of severity:

An unruly mob can kill you in a heartbeat. Lack of shelter in severe winter conditions can kill you in a matter of hours. Lack of water can kill you in a few days. While you can endure a lack of food for weeks if you have to. (Some of us, who have had the foresight to accumulate our own ‘emergency food stash’ around our waist, could last much longer than that!)

Depending on where you are, civil unrest and mob anarchy could deprive you of everything you’ve stocked in preparation.

My ideal homestead would be far from the nearest big city; and would include a water supply that wasn’t dependent on grid power. And of course, the means of defending me and those I love.

StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.08seconds. Snitz Forums 2000