Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
 All Forums
 Shooting
 Pistol Palace
 Pre-War FN High Power

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I] Cheeky [:x)]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)] Speechless [:u]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)] Spin [88]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)] Loud [()]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?] Wink2 [;)]
Bugout [8~o] Kiss [xox] Love [xo] Grow [%] Cry [:-[)]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Uncle Mike Posted - December 07 2017 : 1:37:01 PM
Hi, I recently picked up a High Power with a shoulder stock. This is the leather holster with a attached wooden shoulder piece. It is legal and considered a C&R and would be a nice truck gun if it wasn't so rare. It has a tangent sight marked out to 500 meters . It shoots good and will try long distance once spring arrives, regards, Mike
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Jim Higginbotham Posted - December 23 2017 : 08:59:56 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Pop Pop

Jim, I purchased a Colt Diamondback at the Court Day celebration. Mt. Sterling is the place I was born, in 1948.

Edited to add; Coon dogs, guns, and sorghum molasses flowed between owners, like water flows, back in the day. Haven't been in years. My sister said that the estimated crowd of 300,000, attended for the whole 4 day celebration last year. Large gathering for a town of (appeox) 6,000 people.

Cool! I only made it up there (I lived in Winchester for a little while) a couple of times but my buddy made it pretty often.

I love that part of the state though I guess you could call me a "flat-lander" for the most part,

Jim
Jim Higginbotham Posted - December 23 2017 : 08:57:43 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Ace

You confused me, Jim. 'I took the gun out of the truck and put in a .45.' First, how? Second, why only one .45? What if you needed more than one shot? [Oh, yeah, .45.]
Then it dawned on me....
I think it's gonna be a long day. Ace

Well I probably should have described that better - back then I just kept the gun in the truck all the time (it was a different country) and so I replaced the standard truck gun with a .45 - I forget which one it was but back then I did not have a lot of handguns, especially expendable ones in case I had to shoot someone.

I think I had a shotgun in there as well - it was not a really roomy cab but there was a place behind the seat I could store a long gun (it had a rifle rack but I kept it empty in town - no reason to temp people unduly

Back then the shotgun would have been a High Standard riot gun - I still have it and in fact it is in the bedroom as my "back up" to my 1897 Winchester.

Jim
Pop Pop Posted - December 22 2017 : 10:33:36 AM
Jim, I purchased a Colt Diamondback at the Court Day celebration. Mt. Sterling is the place I was born, in 1948.

Edited to add; Coon dogs, guns, and sorghum molasses flowed between owners, like water flows, back in the day. Haven't been in years. My sister said that the estimated crowd of 300,000, attended for the whole 4 day celebration last year. Large gathering for a town of (appeox) 6,000 people.
Uncle Mike Posted - December 22 2017 : 10:31:26 AM
Hi,remember when the gun magazines used to write pages and pages about "45 vs 9mm" etc. etc. etcetera. Jim I also had a FN49 in 30-06. It's filed under the ,Why did I sell that,regards, Mike and Merry Christmas.
Ace Posted - December 22 2017 : 09:46:51 AM
You confused me, Jim. 'I took the gun out of the truck and put in a .45.' First, how? Second, why only one .45? What if you needed more than one shot? [Oh, yeah, .45.]
Then it dawned on me....
I think it's gonna be a long day. Ace
Jim Higginbotham Posted - December 22 2017 : 09:02:35 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Christian

Nice find! Maybe a bit too rare for a 'truck gun'... since if you ever have to use it you might lose it. The 500 meter tangent sight is a 'bit optimistic'... but those older High Powers are remarkably nice guns.

Ironically, I bought an FN off a friend who had purchased it for $100 at the Mt. Sterling, KY "Court Day" - a gathering sort of like a flea market.

When I was first working in Memphis I carried it in the truck because at the time I did not have a badge and carrying a pistol "for the purpose of going armed" was illegal in TN back then (did not matter if it was concealed or not).

I did that right up to the day when a shooting developed about 15 yards from me and the attacker would have dressed out at around 300 lbs.! I was not involved but I was also stuck and could not move away.

I took the gun out of the truck and put in a .45. Later I was shooting with a group of folks and had the FN with me. One of the guys, who worked for a seller of surplus arms and ammo looked at it and said: "You realize this is a collectors item right?". Well I knew it was Nazi marked but at the time that did not mean much to me.

He offered me an FN-49 in 30-06 for it. I knew enough to know the 30-06 was a bit hard to come by so I traded. Oddly enough, years later a friend wanted it and I traded it to him for something I cannot recall - it happened to be the same guy I got the FN 9mm from.

I now have another Nazi FN 9mm I picked up a few years ago, along with an early commercial version of the same gun. Picked up a couple of pre-war PPKs from the same guy.

Jim H.

Jim Higginbotham Posted - December 20 2017 : 12:33:17 PM
Neat!

I have an FN P-35 made in the 30's but it is not cut for the stock alas.

I do have a Luger that is legal with a stock (on the C&R list).

Jim
Uncle Mike Posted - December 07 2017 : 11:30:08 PM
Hi, I measured the rear sight notch to the bottom of the sight and got about.026" set at pistol range. I then slid it up to the 500m mark and measured almost a .05" from the top of the slide to the bottom of the rear sight notch. I used a caliper and it was a little hard so I may be off. What I did notice that the front sight is really cocked upward even though the rear sight only comes up a .05". We used to shoot at a man sized steel plate at 100 yrds. and it rang solidly with 115 gr 9mm.
I think the WWII load was 124gr.so that would change the trajectory, regards, Mike
Chris Christian Posted - December 07 2017 : 5:10:58 PM
quote:
Originally posted by LittleBill

What’s the drop of a 9mm from a pistol barrel at 500 meters?

A really BIG BUNCH... unless, of course, if you are shooting Plus-P loads. Then, it's still a BIG BUNCH... but not as much of a BIG BUNCH
LittleBill Posted - December 07 2017 : 4:35:38 PM
What’s the drop of a 9mm from a pistol barrel at 500 meters?
Chris Christian Posted - December 07 2017 : 2:27:38 PM
Nice find! Maybe a bit too rare for a 'truck gun'... since if you ever have to use it you might lose it. The 500 meter tangent sight is a 'bit optimistic'... but those older High Powers are remarkably nice guns.

StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.36seconds. Snitz Forums 2000