Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
 All Forums
 Shooting
 Pistol Palace
 Just a Question

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I] Cheeky [:x)]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)] Speechless [:u]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)] Spin [88]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)] Loud [()]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?] Wink2 [;)]
Bugout [8~o] Kiss [xox] Love [xo] Grow [%] Cry [:-[)]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
LfiGrad Posted - December 05 2017 : 10:32:04 AM
I want to identify by name a certain portion of the pistol slide.

This is the portion of the slide that the top-most cartridge in the magazine is pressing against. It is usually a shiny smooth piece of metal maybe up to an inch long (depending on the gun)

I hope I have described it accurately. Does this have a specific name?

10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Jim Higginbotham Posted - December 06 2017 : 09:24:15 AM
I've heard it referred to, by other gunsmiths, as the "Cartridge Rail" but I don't think that is really a technical term - I do get what they mean when they say it though.

Jim
LfiGrad Posted - December 05 2017 : 5:57:11 PM
As I run the function over in my mind, stripping is exactly what it does. As the slide moves back, the cartridge pops up, the stripper slams into it, and into the chamber it goes. THATS IT!!! I think we got it!

LfiGrad Posted - December 05 2017 : 5:46:36 PM
quote:
Originally posted by docglock

I believe what you are talking about is the stripper. Don't start throwing dollar bills at it :-) It strips the top round off the mag when the slide starts the forward travel.

Thanks Doc. I was just telling UncleMike that if I had to make up a name for it, I would call it "the cartridge retaining track". But, stripper track sounds good,

docglock Posted - December 05 2017 : 4:34:26 PM
I believe what you are talking about is the stripper. Don't start throwing dollar bills at it :-) It strips the top round off the mag when the slide starts the forward travel.
Uncle Mike Posted - December 05 2017 : 2:00:18 PM
Hu Lifgrad , email me a picture, **** gmail just add the missing parts, regards, Mike
LfiGrad Posted - December 05 2017 : 12:35:16 PM
I wish I could take a photo of it and post it here. We have all seen this a million times.....
LfiGrad Posted - December 05 2017 : 12:30:44 PM
Thank you Mike, however, this does NOT hold the firing pin in any way.

I don't know how to better describe it
Uncle Mike Posted - December 05 2017 : 11:42:54 AM
Hi, I consulted Kuhnhausen's, 1911 shop manual he calls this the "disconnector track". It is the part that holds the firing pin. Magazine inserted but not chamber would sit the cartridge under it, regards, Mike
LfiGrad Posted - December 05 2017 : 11:33:11 AM
NO.

I guese it may be hard to describe, but an inch or 2 long (depending on the gun) it is smooth and designed to not only press against the topmost cartridge, but the cartridge will slide against it during the shooting cycle.

Let me put it this way, when you insert a loaded magazine in the gun, what is the topmost cartridge touching?? THATS the portion I am referring to.
Uncle Mike Posted - December 05 2017 : 10:59:09 AM
Hi as you posted slide do you mean the recoil face where the firing pin is? The cartridge is in the barrel so it only the rear is touching. Since you said long could you mean the ejector? regards, Mike

StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.11seconds. Snitz Forums 2000