Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
 All Forums
 Stopping Power
 Stopping Power
 Plated bullets

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I] Cheeky [:x)]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)] Speechless [:u]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)] Spin [88]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)] Loud [()]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?] Wink2 [;)]
Bugout [8~o] Kiss [xox] Love [xo] Grow [%] Cry [:-[)]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
WR Moore Posted - December 02 2017 : 5:43:12 PM
Berry has a type of bullet they refer to as a Target Hollow Point. The idea being that it cuts a clean hole in the target, making it easier to score. For some reason, they don't make their expanding bullets in revolver calibers.

The bullets have a generous hollow point and are plated after forming. I tried the 125 gr bullet for expansion at about 1200+ foot seconds and got some shards & reaction that seem to indicate the nose blows off at that velocity and reasonably close range. The same bullet at about 1000 f/s shows no sign of expansion/fragmentation, nor does a 158 gr (even bigger HP) at 800+ f/s.

In paper, the clean hole with the .357 diameter isn't full diameter, but is large than the cavity and very clean.

Any idea/wild guess on how this might perform on something beside paper?
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Jim Higginbotham Posted - December 05 2017 : 09:01:07 AM
I've only shot those in .38 Spl. at up to 1100 fps - I could not get them to expand in water (if a bullet won't expand in water it is unlikely to on 10% gel or Wet-pak).

Come to think on it I've shot that in .38 Auto (in a 1903 Colt Pocket Hammer so the load was not hot - around 1100 as well) and in Super .38 at around 1300 fps - but I don't recall testing that for expansion.

In .38 Auto it is really accurate!

Jim H.
WR Moore Posted - December 04 2017 : 10:50:03 AM
While Berry's HHP bears a close resemblance to another famous similar product (form follows function), the THP design has the core formed completely, hollow point included, prior to plating. So there's no exposed core to begin expansion. It appears the forces on the cavity at 1200+ f/s are sufficient to fragment at least part of the bullet nose. Apparently, the forces can't overcome the plating at less velocity. If the bullet/core/base fragment completely passes through the equivalent of 20 inches of tissue, I figure there's no meaningful expansion. I just wonder if there's a cookie cutter affect.

I guess the market for expanding revolver bullets isn't large enough to justify additional tooling.
bandaidman Posted - December 03 2017 : 11:44:31 PM
FWIW, once upon a time (get the message) I read once that Gold Dot bullets are made the same way. However one can't publish that at Berries or they would get into problems.

StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.12seconds. Snitz Forums 2000