Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
 All Forums
 Shooting
 The Shotgun Center
 Shotgun Bags

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I] Cheeky [:x)]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)] Speechless [:u]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)] Spin [88]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)] Loud [()]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?] Wink2 [;)]
Bugout [8~o] Kiss [xox] Love [xo] Grow [%] Cry [:-[)]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
wolfgang2000 Posted - November 15 2017 : 12:04:44 AM
A while ago I wrote a post on putting together a shotgun bag using a LAPG bail out bag. I was never really happy with that set up. After shopping around some I ended up back at LAPG. I finally looked at their "zombie hunter" bag. It dimensions are the same as the bail out bag, except for depth. The zombie is 1" deeper. There are several nice features in this bag. One of note is a spot for a radio antenna to stick out. I found it a handy place to stick flex cuffs.

I found NC Star mag pouches on Amazon. These are some well designed pouches. There is elastic on the sides to keep things from rattling. What I like is they will hold 3 6 rds. cards with Velcro to put a forth.

I got away from the ammo sling and bag strap. I had the soft side Velcro sewed on both the bag strap and sling. They will both hold 2 cards.

We all know that the closer the loading port is to the ammo, the faster the reload. By flipping the shotgun over the ammo on the sling & bag is right there. If you empty a card, strip it off and replace it from the pouch.

I did what I always do, I put every thing but the kitchen sink. With approx. 80 rounds of shotgun ammo, weighed in at 13 pounds. Not bad for a support bag. A little heavy for a fighting bag. I know I could strip a lot stuff out and have a fighting bag, but where the fun in that? The next post will be on a fighting bag, using a bag made by NC Star.
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Jim Higginbotham Posted - November 30 2017 : 08:58:33 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Evan

Remember the only person you have to satisfy is yourself. I got ridiculed for having a bandoleer of shotgun ammo in my patrol bag until one night when he had a dead cop and a large scale gunfight in progress. When the same one's who had made fun of me asked if I had any shotgun ammo, my response was "just enough for me!"

Oddly enough my "traveling" shotgun is a Winchester Model 12 take-down and it is in a gym bag with a bandolier and one of those 10 round G.I. belt pouches.

I think I actually got the idea for the bandolier from Evan telling me the story I think he is referring to above.

Jim H.
LittleBill Posted - November 29 2017 : 9:50:10 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Mike

Hi Wolf, have you looked at the Olongapo "grab and go" pouches? they hold 75 rounds of 12 ga. , regards, Mike

I contacted Olongapo via their website, asking if they made a version of their Grab & Go strapped bags, that just held a couple mags. Like you might want when, say, you see headlights coming up your driveway late one evening, and pick up your rifle and step outside to investigate: it’d be nice to sling a bag containing a couple spare mags over your shoulder, but you don’t want the weight and bulk of 8.

Jerry emailed back, said that after he finishes an order for Brownells, and replenishes stock for his website, he’d be willing to make ‘custom’ versions of his bags like I was talking about. He asked if I’d prefer a bag with two single-mag pouches, or one double.

We haven’t gotten around to discussing specifics, or prices, but I thought it was neat that he was so responsive to my inquiry; and willing to make variations on his stock bags ‘to order’.

Uncle Mike Posted - November 19 2017 : 11:38:43 PM
Hi, Wolf I have some GI "style" pouches that attach to a belt and hold 10 rounds in loops. I got them from Pacific Canvas and leather. Olongapo stuff is premium; made in USA by the owner. Heavy duty it may or may not work for you. I have never been worried about speed. In my experience your instinct or some say "muscle memory" takes over. In the "olden " days the CPD used to hand you five round and tell you to put them in your front pocket. Later they loaded up the "war Wagon" with bandoliers, regards, Mike
wolfgang2000 Posted - November 19 2017 : 4:44:34 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Mike

Hi Wolf, have you looked at the Olongapo "grab and go" pouches? they hold 75 rounds of 12 ga. , regards, Mike

That looks like a good system. It looks well made. I'm sure it well serve people very well. It's one of the few systems that don't rely on shell hoops.

They state that their system in not fast. I try to spilt the difference so to speak. We know that the closer the ammo is to the feeding port the faster the reload. With removable 6 round cards on both the shotgun sling and the bag strap that puts 24 rounds within inch's of the shotgun. I found that by simply inverting the shotgun that allows for a smooth reload with less dropage . You empty a card simply strip it off, and replace it with another.

As I stated before, we are all different. What works for one person may not work for another.
wolfgang2000 Posted - November 18 2017 : 12:59:10 PM
No I haven't, thanks.
Uncle Mike Posted - November 17 2017 : 10:31:59 PM
LittleBill Posted - November 17 2017 : 6:35:39 PM
quote:
Originally posted by wolfgang2000

A while ago I wrote a post on putting together a shotgun bag using a LAPG bail out bag. I was never really happy with that set up. After shopping around some I ended up back at LAPG. I finally looked at their "zombie hunter" bag. It dimensions are the same as the bail out bag, except for depth. The zombie is 1" deeper. There are several nice features in this bag. One of note is a spot for a radio antenna to stick out. I found it a handy place to stick flex cuffs.

I found NC Star mag pouches on Amazon. These are some well designed pouches. There is elastic on the sides to keep things from rattling. What I like is they will hold 3 6 rds. cards with Velcro to put a forth.

I got away from the ammo sling and bag strap. I had the soft side Velcro sewed on both the bag strap and sling. They will both hold 2 cards.

We all know that the closer the loading port is to the ammo, the faster the reload. By flipping the shotgun over the ammo on the sling & bag is right there. If you empty a card, strip it off and replace it from the pouch.

I did what I always do, I put every thing but the kitchen sink. With approx. 80 rounds of shotgun ammo, weighed in at 13 pounds. Not bad for a support bag. A little heavy for a fighting bag. I know I could strip a lot stuff out and have a fighting bag, but where the fun in that? The next post will be on a fighting bag, using a bag made by NC Star.

Looking forward to it...

wolfgang2000 Posted - November 17 2017 : 5:07:35 PM
I agree with you Evan. As time goes on, so does tactics and equipment change. Officers like you recognize the threat, accepted it and dealt with it head on. Your articles taught a lot of younger cops that philosophy, myself included.

Today's officers are mostly trained not to get their cities sewed, not to survive. On a active shooter officers are required to make entry alone.

Having a bag put together to support the shotgun, makes as much since as it does for a bag for a rifle.
Dov Posted - November 15 2017 : 6:45:54 PM
Evan, I know you’ve mentioned that incident before, wondering if you have any idea how much shotgun ammo you used on that occasion?

Did you have a mix of Buckshot and slug?

I’ve often thought that most spare shotgun ammo should be Slugs, since if you’ve got cover and time to reload shotgun probably situation we’re Slugs more useful than Buckshot.

Though shooting out streetlights like you’ve mentioned doing on another occasion is something that I could see LEO using more than gun full of Buckshot to accomplish depending on perimeter.
Evan Posted - November 15 2017 : 1:27:29 PM
Remember the only person you have to satisfy is yourself. I got ridiculed for having a bandoleer of shotgun ammo in my patrol bag until one night when he had a dead cop and a large scale gunfight in progress. When the same one's who had made fun of me asked if I had any shotgun ammo, my response was "just enough for me!"

StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.19seconds. Snitz Forums 2000