Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
 All Forums
 Shooting
 Pistol Palace
 Springfield XD hate

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I] Cheeky [:x)]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)] Speechless [:u]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)] Spin [88]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)] Loud [()]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?] Wink2 [;)]
Bugout [8~o] Kiss [xox] Love [xo] Grow [%] Cry [:-[)]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
LittleBill Posted - November 11 2017 : 3:53:36 PM
Online site ‘Active Self Protection dot com’ has a Youtube video entitled ‘Springfield XD is the McRib of Sidearms’, listing all the reasons why (according to him) armorers and trainers do not like this gun.

I have no idea how valid his points are, I’ve only shot a friend’s XD once, liked it and experienced no problems. But for those of y’all who may be relying on them, you might want to check it out.

25   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Nobby42d Posted - December 06 2017 : 10:32:57 PM
I saw the McRib video, did some research, and the XD got rave reviews from those who have put thousands of rounds down range. My XD9sc has had no issues and going head to head against my Glock 19 or 26, puts rounds on target faster. I'm mystified just how that could be, since everyone knows a high bore access pistol can't beat a low bore like the Glock in speed shooting. Guess my P229 isn't impressed with the low bore thing, either. My XD sub compact eats everything. I believe the roll pin on top of slide behind the chamber may be a weak point, but it's easily replaceable and tapered so it can only go in one way.
Ace Posted - December 05 2017 : 09:51:42 AM
In a discussion with a customer yesterday, we were talking about the pros and cons of various makes/models. He told me XD is good, so what more could you ask for? Ace
Mjolnir Posted - December 05 2017 : 01:00:25 AM
I have 2 XDs and an XDm. One, an XD40, is on permanent loan to my son. The XD9 and XDm40 alternate as my EDC. The XD9 has had a lot of lead and jacketed handloads through it, and boxes of Speer, Corbon, Remington, and Winchester jacketed stuff. I know it's not a lot compared to people who shoot much more than I do, but there were no problems (except for a few lead loads--I pulled them--that were underloaded with Unique that didn't open the slide enough). The XDm hasn't had as many rounds through it, but again no problems. The 9 got a trigger job from Powder River Precision, sweet! So I ordered parts from PRP, took the XDm apart down to the frame (except for the grip safety and mainspring), and it went back together just fine. The better trigger pulls on both of them help a lot. Love my Springfields!
Ten Driver Posted - November 26 2017 : 3:29:54 PM
That's all I need to know, then. Your recommendation is gold with me, buddy.

Mike
enidpd804 Posted - November 20 2017 : 05:09:00 AM
I know John Correia. He's an honest man and does indeed teach and participate in a lot of classes. If you watch the whole video, I think he explains it well.
johns961 Posted - November 15 2017 : 3:58:22 PM
I have two friends that have XD's. They loves them.
My problem, and it is my problem... Is that Springfield proudly advertises themselves as the oldest manufacturer of firearms in the US. And then I look at the XD's frame. And it says Made in Croatia.
No. thanks. I'll pass on this one.

John!
Olddog84 Posted - November 14 2017 : 08:45:08 AM
Ace, so very true! I am amazed sometimes by how we, literally, see things differently. For example, what we can see out of the car windshield is dramatically different: she can see things in the sky or up high that the roof blocks from my vision and I can see things down low and close to the car that she can't. Keeps things interesting!
Mike
quote:
Originally posted by Ace

6'2" and 4'10"? I think I'd worry more about tripping over her than the XD malfunctioning. Ace

Ten Driver Posted - November 14 2017 : 02:09:10 AM
Hello,

Bill, your timing on this is interesting. I had an XD shooter as one of my students this week, and his was the only gun that malfunctioned in the class. Other guns in attendance included models from HK, S&W and of course, Glock.

The weapon was not returning fully into battery after it was fired. I put the class on a water break and we tore apart the gun to inspect, clean, and lube it. I paid close attention to the chamber and the RSA, but saw no issues. Everything appeared OK, but when we resumed shooting, we had the same issue.

It was only after the second round of failures that I learned the shooter had just switched to a different brand of ammo. We returned to the first type, and the gun functioned properly again.

The "bad" ammo was factory, and looked good. It fired just fine in another gun from a different make when we tested it.

So, this was probably a case of ammo incompatibility. That happens sometimes.

I've had other XDs in class and they've run OK, but I have to agree that the grip safety is problematic. I've seen shooters with a bad grip fail to disengage it, and have also heard credible reports about it failing as described in the video you referenced, even though I've not witnessed this firsthand. I'm leery of it and think it creates more problems than it solves.

The guy in the video was a little harsh on the trigger, I think. It's not a great trigger, for sure, but I don't think it's any worse than the original M&P, and I'm not sure that a Glock (at least through Gen 4--I haven't shot a Gen 5 yet) is dramatically better.

I've not seen the roll pin issue, but if it happens as frequently as he says, that's a problem. I had a roll pin on my early Sig P226 walk out, and a good whack put it back in place. I didn't have to do it again, but if it had been reoccurring, I would have had to get a new pin. You can't run a gun that tries to disassemble itself all the time, and if the XD design is prone to that, it's a flaw.

The magazines don't appear to be as robust as those from other makes, and that does concern me a bit, but I have to say I've never seen any magazine-related problems firsthand. Of course, I've only seen half a dozen XDs come through class, so the sample size isn't large.

I like the fact that they have steel sights, but have no use for LCIs or striker indicators. The takedown procedure is improved over the Glock (especially on the XDM models, which does away with pulling the trigger).

In my area, they seem to be overpriced, compared to the competition.

Mike

LittleBill Posted - November 13 2017 : 4:01:03 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Olddog84

I have one XD-9 Tac: I used it in IPDA, carried it, and shot it a lot for about 2 years. During that time I was searching for a gun for my wife, who is 4'10" compared to my 6'2" and the variety of "little" guns I bought for her never worked. One day at the range she saw my XD and said "how about that one" and picked it up and loved it. Also shot better than ever (she is not and never will be a great shot). It became her gun at that point. It has never, to my recollection, had a malfunction. It is her bedside gun. I never got another XD, found the M&P series and the Glock 32 and stayed with those, but I have been very happy with the performance of "her" XD. I think we can dig up personal testimonies from someone who has a bad experience with just about any gun you think of. The only Taurus revolver I bought, years ago (a 38 model 85) sent the firing pin flying on about the 10th dry fire shot on the first day I owned it. Sure, Taurus fixed it, but I sold it right away and to this day will not trust a Taurus. Many disagree. We are all victims of our experience, eh?
Mike

quote:
Originally posted by gauchobill

+1! I think you could easily dig up a bad story about any make or model of firearm-or automobile--or washing machine--or any other common home appliance.

No doubt.

What makes this video different-- and possibly worth listening to-- is that the guy is claiming to be a trainer who regularly conducts pistol classes.

Unlike the 'average' person recounting an anecdote about their personal experience with their one gun, he's claiming to have had extensive experience observing how different types of pistols perform when they're shot a lot in a short time.

That's very different than one person talking about their experience with one gun; which I agree, really tells you nothing.

But if someone has had the opportunity to watch dozens of shooters with XDs putting hundreds of rounds through them over the course of a few days, his opinion may be worth listening to.

Ace Posted - November 13 2017 : 09:55:09 AM
6'2" and 4'10"? I think I'd worry more about tripping over her than the XD malfunctioning. Ace
gauchobill Posted - November 13 2017 : 09:23:27 AM
+1! I think you could easily dig up a bad story about any make or model of firearm-or automobile--or washing machine--or any other common home appliance.
Olddog84 Posted - November 13 2017 : 09:16:19 AM
I have one XD-9 Tac: I used it in IPDA, carried it, and shot it a lot for about 2 years. During that time I was searching for a gun for my wife, who is 4'10" compared to my 6'2" and the variety of "little" guns I bought for her never worked. One day at the range she saw my XD and said "how about that one" and picked it up and loved it. Also shot better than ever (she is not and never will be a great shot). It became her gun at that point. It has never, to my recollection, had a malfunction. It is her bedside gun. I never got another XD, found the M&P series and the Glock 32 and stayed with those, but I have been very happy with the performance of "her" XD. I think we can dig up personal testimonies from someone who has a bad experience with just about any gun you think of. The only Taurus revolver I bought, years ago (a 38 model 85) sent the firing pin flying on about the 10th dry fire shot on the first day I owned it. Sure, Taurus fixed it, but I sold it right away and to this day will not trust a Taurus. Many disagree. We are all victims of our experience, eh?
Mike
bandaidman Posted - November 13 2017 : 03:05:35 AM
I watched his video on the VP9 and am amazed at the round count he has put through it, and how upset he was when H&K didn't (give) send him a VP9SK to test, I lost interest after watching that video, even though he loves the VP9 and the SK as well.
bandaidman Posted - November 13 2017 : 02:48:06 AM
Well I have 3 XD's one with close to 3000 rounds through it and no problems,my magazines have been run full through four 4day classes The last one with my granddaughter using it with no malfunctions there are possible parts that can break, there is one roll pin in the gun so if that is a weakness I am really in trouble with my VP9 as just about every pin in that gun is a roll pin, ah but they are German roll pins that's the difference.
There is a website that sells parts for XD'S that states that the only pin that could break is the one roll pin and offer a different one,but I'm not too worried.
They are my carry guns and one is my range gun I've put a trigger kit that lightened the pull and reduced take-up and took away overtravel. I bought them because it was the most ambidexterous gun on the market at the time. Pre-Smith and Wesson M&P, VP9,Sig P250. And the VP9 is the only one that is truly ambidextrous although I think FN's latest is.
Oh in the 4 courses that I went to the two guns that people had problems with were Glocks and 1911's go figure.
revjen45 Posted - November 12 2017 : 11:20:32 PM
"See, Glocks never malfunction, and all the police agencies are using them, and they are more efficient, and they fit everybody's hand better, and grip safeties are just something waiting to break, and Glocks are more inherently accurate, and......."
Everybody knows that Glocks are as ugly as a mud fence and that the above quote applies to the Steyr pistols.
RLS Posted - November 12 2017 : 2:00:44 PM
I recalled that John Farnam had a Quip on the XD with concerns about parts possibly being incorrectly installed on re-assembly.

It took a few moments, but I found it.

23 June 05

SA XD

I attended part of the SA XD Armorer’s Class yesterday. It is clear that SA is making a sincere effort to get the XD accepted by the police community as an legitimate, duty gun. As I’ve said in the past, XDs we’ve had in classes have all worked fine.

However, real problems made themselves apparent during the class. Glocks, even at the armorer level, are nearly impossible to reassemble wrong. Glock parts are designed to fit together only one way. When they don’t fit together, that is a hint that you are doing it incorrectly. SA engineers need to take note. A number of XD parts can be easily put in place backwards and/or upside down, with no clue that assembly is inappropriate. When assemble is complete, the pistol won’t work. In fact, the is one blind hole, designed to receive a pin. If the pin inadvertently goes in backward, it cannot be removed and must be drilled out!

If SA is serious about making inroads into the police market, they are going to have to make engineering changes in the XD that make the job of the armorer less tedious. The XD is a good gun, but it is not up to Glock standards yet.

/John

I don't know if there has been changes made to rectify the situation.

Rick
LittleBill Posted - November 12 2017 : 1:45:46 PM
I beg your pardon? Ford? Dodge?

My tiny electric car allows me to play a meaningful part in saving the planet... and to feel infinitely superior to everyone else in the process....

Seriously, I’ve got no dog in this fight, or any personal experience with the XD. I shot one once that belonged to my friend, he liked it, I liked it too.

I carry Sigs. When someone suggests that Sigs too have been known to break, I calmly clamp both hands over my ears, and begin loudly repeating over and over again, “I can’t hear you!” until they go away.

Ace Posted - November 12 2017 : 1:22:04 PM
Oh yeah? Well, my Ford is better than your Dodge! Ace
LittleBill Posted - November 12 2017 : 10:09:11 AM
Yeah, and if what he’s asserting is true, there will be others out there who’ve had the same experience. Like Arvinator in his post early in the thread.

zeke Posted - November 12 2017 : 10:02:46 AM
One thing have found with only 3 xd's owned is on some models mags are designed right to the edge of stated capacity. The 45 xds and .40 xdm owned would be examples. Believe there was a recall associated with the grip safety's on the xds's, both mine were sent in.

Maybe I am naturally cynical, but am firm believer in documentation of actual experience. While there certainly may be some truth at root of a lot of his statements, the first third of video appeared to just be setting up anyone who'd disagreed with his assertions.

For me it was certainly a worthwhile video to review.
LittleBill Posted - November 12 2017 : 09:08:48 AM
Yeah, I know very little about his site, except that I got there from Greg Ellifritz’s Active Response Training site, which is legit and does offer a lot of helpful info and insights.

As with everything you read or hear on the Internet, check it out. It would be foolish to assume it’s true.... and equally foolish to assume it’s bogus.

If his opinions of the XD are valid, he won’t be the only person voicing them.

zeke Posted - November 12 2017 : 12:02:23 AM
Can't help myself but his training facility looks like someone's closet with a sheet background.
LittleBill Posted - November 11 2017 : 10:53:48 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Arvinator

You stake your life on what you feel safe with. I get odd looks and comments on my choices but it's my life on the line and we get to live or not live by our choices.

Guns are tools for survival. I've seen Glock 22's malfunction. My own J frame broke the firing pin, anything can tear up.

Murphy's Law likes to follow me I tell my friends.

Yes, and I try and make sure (as much as possible) that when I’m feeling safe about a certain choice, that my feeling of safety is justified. After all, the passengers on the Titanic felt safe....

With Murphy always just around the corner, I want to give him as little as possible to work with. One of the benefits of the Internet is that we’re exposed to a wide range of peoples’ experiences. All guns break, but some less than others; and with enough people recounting their experiences, what’s good and what’s less good should become apparent.

Nothing is perfect, but some things come closer than others.

LittleBill Posted - November 11 2017 : 10:39:15 PM
Ace, the guy in the video I referenced did say he’d seen a lot of broken grip safeties on the XD; IIRC a ‘sear pin’ or ‘shear pin’ breaking?

He also didn’t like the fact that you had to depress the grip safety before you could manipulate the slide.

Then there was another roll pin on the slide that liked to work its way out after a certain amount of shooting.

And he really hated the XD mags, said he’d seen a lot of malfunctions due to them.

I didn’t watch the whole thing, but he wasn’t just hating on the gun, he was quite specific about what he’d seen go wrong.

Every gun breaks, Glocks break, Sigs break; this guy is saying that in his experience, XDs break a whole lot oftener. He says that in his classes, the XDs fail in a major way— such that they require an armorer to get them back up and running— far more than any other pistol.

Arvinator Posted - November 11 2017 : 10:30:07 PM
You stake your life on what you feel safe with. I get odd looks and comments on my choices but it's my life on the line and we get to live or not live by our choices.

Guns are tools for survival. I've seen Glock 22's malfunction. My own J frame broke the firing pin, anything can tear up.

Murphy's Law likes to follow me I tell my friends.

StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.58seconds. Snitz Forums 2000