Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
 All Forums
 Shooting
 Glocks
 dropping the slide on a loaded chamber

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I] Cheeky [:x)]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)] Speechless [:u]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)] Spin [88]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)] Loud [()]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?] Wink2 [;)]
Bugout [8~o] Kiss [xox] Love [xo] Grow [%] Cry [:-[)]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
rev. Posted - November 07 2017 : 5:20:57 PM
If I put a round in the chamber and then drop the slide on my g42 or g26, is there a danger of breaking an extractor? I've been doing this because it's easier than loading from the magazine and then topping off the mag with another round.
Thanks,
rev.
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Jim Higginbotham Posted - November 08 2017 : 09:12:47 AM
I have seen several Glocks with chipped extractors - but I can only guess at what caused it.

That said the only guns I would drop a slide or bolt on a loaded round are once designed to feed that way (Garands, ARs, Remington 700s etc)

I can only think of one handgun designed that was (other than pistol versions of the AR) and that is the .44 Auto-mag.

There may be more, they just don't come to mind.

But for me I'd never load a Glock, 1911, Browning etc that way - I always feed the round from the magazine and then top off the mag.

In many years of shooting I've broken one 1911 extractor and it was because I shot an old steel cased round that had some rust on it.

I have repaired many extractors from about every handgun design though when I was gunsmithing.

If I had to guess the most have been in Remington 742s which is designed to close on cambering but I'm not sure that is the reason since so is the model 700 and the 760 and I have not seen nearly as many of them broken).

Jim
exfed2002 Posted - November 08 2017 : 07:46:22 AM
quote:
Originally posted by rev.

thanks for the answers, I will comply.
rev.

For years I used to drop the slide on a chambered round, SOP.

THEN, I learned about how the feed cycle works, and the part played by the extractor in all this.

Now, I will load only from a magazine by slingshotting or using the slide release.
rev. Posted - November 08 2017 : 05:21:32 AM
thanks for the answers, I will comply.
rev.
garrettwc Posted - November 07 2017 : 7:59:02 PM
Dropping the slide on a loaded chamber will ruin a 1911 extractor in short order. Other external extractor designs are a bit more forgiving but it's still abuse, like "flipping" the cylinder on a revolver. I wouldn't do it.
gw Posted - November 07 2017 : 7:25:26 PM
Glock extractors are beveled and designed to ride over a chambered round, also external extrators should not be damaged loading a round manually and dropping the slide

having said that, I was told in the armorers course not to load a Glock this way

while I think the instructor was wrong, I don't load any automatic that way just in case

comes from years of replacing 1911 extractors

StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.36seconds. Snitz Forums 2000