Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
 All Forums
 Shooting
 Glocks
 Glock slide rail lube

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I] Cheeky [:x)]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)] Speechless [:u]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)] Spin [88]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)] Loud [()]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?] Wink2 [;)]
Bugout [8~o] Kiss [xox] Love [xo] Grow [%] Cry [:-[)]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
exfed2002 Posted - November 04 2017 : 10:10:23 AM
Just picked up a 43, and I notice it's mostly dry except for some thick copper colored lube in the slide rails.

It looks awfully like the anti-seize compound I put on aircraft spark plugs and other screws that can't be allowed to seize.

Wonder if anyone can confirm this.

I know I like to run my SIGs slightly on the wet side, does this also apply to Glocks or do they prefer to be on the dry side?
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
exfed2002 Posted - November 20 2017 : 5:08:56 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Ten Driver

Exfed, I'm curious what your holster solution is for this gun?

Mike

I haven't really looked at OWB solutions yet, but I'm planning on having Remora do a couple of custom made (cut the bottom so it's left open) shortened rigs to get me started. The sealed bottoms don't work for me because my butt and my waist are almost at the same level.

The Remoras I have for the 250/320 subcompacts are too big for the 43, but they will work in the short run.

For OWB, I'll look at slides or thumb breaks.
Ten Driver Posted - November 20 2017 : 2:13:18 PM
Exfed, I'm curious what your holster solution is for this gun?

Mike
Ten Driver Posted - November 20 2017 : 2:11:07 PM
Excellent! Glad you debugged it, and got to add some finishing touches. Sounds like it's motoring along, nicely.

I'm impressed with these guns. I know there are several worthy competitors in this class, but it's my favorite of the bunch. Glad yours is working out so nicely.

Mike
exfed2002 Posted - November 19 2017 : 7:20:43 PM
quote:

Honestly, I haven't noticed that. I'm not a reloader yet, so my experience is limited to the factory fodder, and everything I've ever put into either gun has fed just fine.

Mike

Well, I found the problem. I was belling the cases just a hair too much as part of the charging stage, and the bullets could seat at a slight angle. This caused a bulge around part of the circumference which didn't faze the SIG but choked the Glock. I reduce the belling, and the rounds are now 100% functional.

In the meantime, I undercut the trigger guard to get more purchase on the grip and prevent Glock knuckle. I installed a Ghost connector and a Lone Wolf adjustable trigger shoe, and did lot of tool mark removal (lots of the trigger parts are stamped metal) and polishing.

The trigger is now nice and smooth with no "hump" or overtravel, and you know what?

It COULD be an all afternoon gun!
exfed2002 Posted - November 11 2017 : 8:27:24 PM
quote:

Sounds like a great maiden voyage! Glad your gun shot so well. Honestly, that model shoots much better than it has a right to.

I'll be interested to see if you can isolate the BTF to particular ammo, or if all loads will do it.

My brother has had great success with the Taran Tactical mag extensions. They're very robust, and offer easy disassembly for cleaning. Highly recommended.

Yes, Fall is definitely here! I've been in the Midwest and on the East Coast this week and it's been chilly. I saw a 30 degree shift in Milwaukee from one day to the next. Stay warm, be safe!

Mike

I have the Pearce +1, haven't tried them yet. The Truglo's went on yesterday, and today I undercut the trigger guard to give me more grip and prevent Glock knuckle. This basically duplicate the 43 that my former direct report has.

The BTF was 1 out of 100 reloads. I'll be running Pow'r Balls next time, but wanted to do the intial tests with the most "difficult" ammo.
Ten Driver Posted - November 11 2017 : 04:06:19 AM
Sounds like a great maiden voyage! Glad your gun shot so well. Honestly, that model shoots much better than it has a right to.

I'll be interested to see if you can isolate the BTF to particular ammo, or if all loads will do it.

My brother has had great success with the Taran Tactical mag extensions. They're very robust, and offer easy disassembly for cleaning. Highly recommended.

Yes, Fall is definitely here! I've been in the Midwest and on the East Coast this week and it's been chilly. I saw a 30 degree shift in Milwaukee from one day to the next. Stay warm, be safe!

Mike
exfed2002 Posted - November 10 2017 : 4:13:35 PM
quote:

The 43 is certainly not an extended-session gun! Think of it like a J-frame with a magazine. ;^)

Mike

Went to the range this morning, longer taper crimp did the job for feeding.

For a mouse gun, it is not bad. If I put the trigger on the joint between the tip and first pad, I don't get the trigger bite or shifting left. It shot well, even at 25 yards. Of 100 rounds, only one BTF. My reloads are warm but not top of scale.

My two new mags and Pearce+1 bases have arrived and been installed, as well as my Trueglo tritiums.

Fall is finally here, cold and very windy.

exfed2002 Posted - November 08 2017 : 10:56:51 AM
quote:

Honestly, I haven't noticed that. I'm not a reloader yet, so my experience is limited to the factory fodder, and everything I've ever put into either gun has fed just fine. When I get home, I'll pull a few barrels and give it a test, then report back.

The 43 is certainly not an extended-session gun! Think of it like a J-frame with a magazine. ;^)

Mike

I suspect the factory stuff is loaded to dimensions that will satisfy the tightest SAAMI chamber.

A J-frame with a magazine, you've got that right. The grip is just about as wide as my little Pachmyers.

Bullets just came in, so I'll give it a try. With the Dillon, I can take my time and do a box in less than 15 minutes.
Ten Driver Posted - November 08 2017 : 10:41:36 AM
Honestly, I haven't noticed that. I'm not a reloader yet, so my experience is limited to the factory fodder, and everything I've ever put into either gun has fed just fine. When I get home, I'll pull a few barrels and give it a test, then report back.

Mike
exfed2002 Posted - November 08 2017 : 07:57:30 AM
quote:

Enjoy your 43!

Mike

You know, if it doesn't hurt, I may just continue to use a tad bit of the Permatex anti-seize.

BTW, the 43 is very nice, but it's not something you want to put hundreds of rounds through in an afternoon. The HQC1/2 and the HQNC are more than enough......

Since you shoot SIG and Glock weapons, have you noticed that the Glock chambers are cut just a hair tighter than SIG? Reason I say is that my reloads that feed thru my 320 and plonk perfectly are not as reliable in the Glock. I'd say 20% of them won't plonk and drop, and you can feel resistance as you insert them into the chamber. I'm thinking it might be due to the coated bullets I get from IBEJI in Belleville that are sized to .356 instead of .355 and minor variations in case wall thickness.

The ones that are slightly tight will work, but the ones with the most resistance stop just a hair short of battery. This would make sense with the tapered case of the 9.

A friend of mine is sending me some coated 147's sized to .355, so I'll try them as a test.

The SIG chambers seem to be cut to feed a ham sandwich.

The day after election day in the PDRNJ, time for a good shot of coffee....................
Ten Driver Posted - November 07 2017 : 10:27:49 PM
Exfed, I've been running Sigs and Glocks since they were first imported, and can confirm that the Sigs like more lube than the Glocks do. You don't need to run a Glock "wet."

If you're an oil kind of guy, a drop on your finger will do for the barrel hood, locking lug, and the OD of the barrel near the muzzle. A drop for each slide rail and the connector will finish the rest of the job.

I like to use grease instead of oil, and use it sparingly on the barrel points mentioned and the frame rails, and once every so often I put a drop of CLP on the connector. That's it.

Be careful not to apply lube in the drain hole next to the firing pin plunger (folks who don't know Glocks frequently think this is a place for lubrication) or to the striker channel (I've seen plenty of gummed up strikers that result in ignition failures).

I agree on your assessment about the copper paste. Interestingly, I know lots of folks who cleaned it off first thing, because they thought it was fouling, and it never seemed to make any difference in break-in.

Enjoy your 43!

Mike
exfed2002 Posted - November 04 2017 : 11:00:19 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Mike

That's their emphasis not mine. I guess Glock's are different, regards, Mike

Thanks!

Well, never can have too many books...................
Uncle Mike Posted - November 04 2017 : 10:29:25 AM
Hi, yes you are correct. The factory uses this to "help break in the pistol". They say it doesn't have to be replaced. " The Complete Glock Reference Guide", 4th edition states in bold print "DO NOT OVER LUBRICATE!". That's their emphasis not mine. I guess Glock's are different, regards, Mike

StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.42seconds. Snitz Forums 2000