Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
 All Forums
 Shooting
 Glocks
 pushing glock left

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I] Cheeky [:x)]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)] Speechless [:u]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)] Spin [88]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)] Loud [()]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?] Wink2 [;)]
Bugout [8~o] Kiss [xox] Love [xo] Grow [%] Cry [:-[)]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
gw Posted - October 23 2017 : 09:00:01 AM
anyone else hitting low left with their Glocks?

slow deliberate from a rest mine are centered, pick up the pace off hand and all shots are left and low

Rich Grassi wrote about it on The Tacticla Wire, warns that you'll transfer the problem to other platforms.

might be an issue with the hinged trigger and leverage.

I think it's a combinition of grip and trigger control, and I am starting to see it with other platforms, developing a bad habit.....

driving me nuttier than usual
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
gw Posted - October 25 2017 : 5:52:04 PM
who says I'm not hitting something.....

the shot timer is a training tool, not a tactic.
Chris Christian Posted - October 25 2017 : 4:36:05 PM
quote:
Originally posted by gw

shooting ability is around 10% of the solution in my world

and I'm not interested in scores or impressing people

If split times, as you previously mentioned, under .2 seconds are causing problems -- then why not do .40 splits and actually hit something? And, why even attempt to make .2 split times?

Wouldn't it be better to just take that -- literal---extra "blink of the eye" and make a good hit? If shooting ability is only 10% of your solution, why not do it well, so that you can worry about the other 90%?
gw Posted - October 25 2017 : 3:28:38 PM
shooting ability is around 10% of the solution in my world

and I'm not interested in scores or impressing people
Chris Christian Posted - October 25 2017 : 1:13:59 PM
quote:
Originally posted by jle3030

Fast split times are an admirable demonstration of advanced skill and are essential in the competition milieu. But have they ever been shown to be relevant on the street? Or are they actually counter productive for most shooters?

The best advice I ever received was from a serious three gun competitor / police shooting instructor. "The hand is quicker than the eye. Don't shoot faster than you can see". The best object lesson that day was when my son-in-law was fast, but all over the target. The instructor told him to "slow way down, see your sights, and guarantee the shot". That immediately solved the problem. S-I-L's groups centered and his split times went from O.2 to 0.3 seconds. In raw terms a 0.1 second increase may seem insignificant, but it does represent a 50% increase in shot recovery/reorientation time.

Digression: Sgt Tim Friar, Greenfield Ohio PD, gone before his time from cancer, was known to give heartburn to other police firearms instructors. At one mandatory in service training session the task was to pie your way through a live fire house with the usual shoot, no shoot, and hostage targets. Feeling bored, Tim decided to run it like an IPSC stage. At the door, he shouted for all innocent parties to get on the ground. Then he ran through the house, scoring 100% head shots on all the BG targets. The instructors were not amused, but none of them was willing to try duplicating the feat.

Jeff

A BIG +1! You can shoot faster than you can see (or think), with the inevitable results on the target. This obviously applies to Real Life (only hits count)... but it also applies in competition.

If you can make a .2 second split on an IDPA or ICORE target... and it happens to be outside the 0 or A Zone... your .2 split just turned into a .80 negative on your score... at least if you were fortunate enough to hit the -1 or B Zone. Get outside those and that "impressive split time" cost you several seconds. IPSC is a bit more forgiving, but the winners still shoot 90+% A Zone hits.

Taking an extra .25 sec on the shot pays off in the Real World, and on the competition range. The smarter shooters know that. The "spray &pray"neophytes that want to impress folks with their .2 sec splits haven't quite figured that out. But they may get the message after looking at enough of their "less than satisfactory" scores.

Back in the old days when coppers carried revolvers (and this applies today in competition) there were fewer missed shots. They didn't have 15 round mags to use as a crutch, so they used their sights instead[;).
jle3030 Posted - October 25 2017 : 11:30:23 AM
Fast split times are an admirable demonstration of advanced skill and are essential in the competition milieu. But have they ever been shown to be relevant on the street? Or are they actually counter productive for most shooters?

The best advice I ever received was from a serious three gun competitor / police shooting instructor. "The hand is quicker than the eye. Don't shoot faster than you can see". The best object lesson that day was when my son-in-law was fast, but all over the target. The instructor told him to "slow way down, see your sights, and guarantee the shot". That immediately solved the problem. S-I-L's groups centered and his split times went from O.2 to 0.3 seconds. In raw terms a 0.1 second increase may seem insignificant, but it does represent a 50% increase in shot recovery/reorientation time.

Digression: Sgt Tim Friar, Greenfield Ohio PD, gone before his time from cancer, was known to give heartburn to other police firearms instructors. At one mandatory in service training session the task was to pie your way through a live fire house with the usual shoot, no shoot, and hostage targets. Feeling bored, Tim decided to run it like an IPSC stage. At the door, he shouted for all innocent parties to get on the ground. Then he ran through the house, scoring 100% head shots on all the BG targets. The instructors were not amused, but none of them was willing to try duplicating the feat.

Jeff
gw Posted - October 25 2017 : 10:18:03 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Higginbotham

I know several folks I respect that have latched onto the little 9mms, mostly Shields and G43s. I've shot some and they seem to be OK but I just have not warmed up to them - I still with my J-frames and my Colt Cobras.

But, everyone has to work out their own salvation and whatever they choose they will get no flak from me.

Jim

I've started pushing the Shield low left, that's what sort of drove me over the edge

I'm talking split times under .2 sec per, so maybe the fix is to throw my timer away.

I got an M&P 22 that fills the bill as a trainer, I can run that as fast as it will go, so much of my problem is recoil control and grip.

I shoot da revolvers and da only automatics better but also a little slower

the question starts to be "how fast is too fast" and can you really control that cadence under real stress.

think I'll smash my timer and carry a rifle.....
Steve in Michigan Posted - October 25 2017 : 09:22:37 AM
I agree about being able to still shoot a wheelie better than a small auto. My 642 with Crimson Trace and M15 Smith 2" are much easier to shoot for me than my LC9. The LC9 is very picky to shoot and you can not only go low and left, but all over the target if you are not really concentrating. I guess the double-action revolver just runs so that the sights seem to be on target when the hammer falls and seems like a natural movement. I think the lack of slide action also contributes to better accuracy.
Jim Higginbotham Posted - October 25 2017 : 09:04:18 AM
I know several folks I respect that have latched onto the little 9mms, mostly Shields and G43s. I've shot some and they seem to be OK but I just have not warmed up to them - I still with my J-frames and my Colt Cobras.

But, everyone has to work out their own salvation and whatever they choose they will get no flak from me.

Jim
jle3030 Posted - October 24 2017 : 4:36:37 PM
I figured out the G19 years ago. Not to say I don't have occasional lapses, but when it happens at least I know what I'm doing wrong. The G43 has been way more difficult for me to learn. I thought I never would find the right trigger finger placement for the little thing. I was getting vertical stringing from 7:00 to 11:00 in the 8-9 ring. Better now, except for the occasional flier. I still have more confidence in the .38 snubbies.

Jeff
gw Posted - October 24 2017 : 11:20:57 AM
it's remarkable how many folks have the issue with Glocks, seems like most of those being 9mm

other folks like Rich Grassi report a problem for him with 9mm 1911 lightweights

myself I have no problem with 1911s pulling left but my guns are all .45 and I just don't run as fast with one, but I am building the problem with the M&P 9mm as I pick up the pace

I'm beginning to think, for me anyway, I'm running faster than I can shoot with the 9mm

the low part is milking the grip, the left shift is trigger slap

Everyone is having a slightly different problem with a slightly different fix
Jim Higginbotham Posted - October 24 2017 : 08:56:35 AM
quote:
Originally posted by gw

quote:

I thought that was one of their features

90% of the folks I teach shoot Glocks left when they speed up. The other 10% shoot them right since they are left handed

That may be a little bit exaggerated but it really is common.

Sometimes it is the first segment of the trigger finger, when it flexes it presses against the frame. Sometimes it is just over-travel when the trigger slams into the frame. Sometimes it is short fingers that are stretching to reach the trigger and end up not quite long enough and are pressing sideways.

Jim

I'm seeing a lot of over travel in the Glock, lighter grip seems to help

Yes Sir. Typically the thing I try to get folks to do first is tighten up on their support hand grip.

Same thing with an M9 BTW - it isn't only Glocks.

Jim
jle3030 Posted - October 24 2017 : 05:51:22 AM
I've come to suspect the safety lever in the midline of the trigger may contribute to uneven finger pressure tending to push the gun left. Finding and concentrating on a centered finger position and a straight back pull has worked for me. It also helps with the heavier break and sudden overtravel in the NY1 triggers.

In rapid fire I've also found it helps to roll in a little extra leftward pressure with the support hand wrist.

Jeff
Uncle Mike Posted - October 23 2017 : 10:00:16 PM
Hi gw, usually low left for me is that I'm tightening my grip. I'm right handed. Usually it's me not the gun, regards, Mike
Malcolm Posted - October 23 2017 : 7:33:39 PM
I had to readjust my grip for my Glocks. Lightened up on the bottom of the "ice cream cone", and my hits moved back to the right and stayed centered even with my style of rapid fire.(probably slow for some of you high-speed, low drag gents.) I'm still high-drag, low speed....
rev. Posted - October 23 2017 : 4:31:32 PM
I am left handed and have been plagued by shooting low/right when speeding up my rate of fire with my G26 and G42 and with my Ruger LC9. I've even had it happen shooting rather slow. I discovered that I was pushing my trigger finger both to the rear and to the side when taking a shot, it drove me to distraction! Then I started to very consciously move my finger straight back using the pad of my finger. I no longer have that problem, but I still pay close attention to pulling the trigger straight back with no sideways push.
I wish you well.
rev.
gw Posted - October 23 2017 : 09:59:53 AM
quote:

90% of the folks I teach shoot Glocks left when they speed up. The other 10% shoot them right since they are left handed

Sometimes it is the first segment of the trigger finger, when it flexes it presses against the frame. Sometimes it is just over-travel when the trigger slams into the frame. Sometimes it is short fingers that are stretching to reach the trigger and end up not quite long enough and are pressing sideways.

Jim

I'm seeing a lot of over travel in the Glock, lighter grip seems to help

Jim Higginbotham Posted - October 23 2017 : 09:48:56 AM
BTW, when I run into those that shoot Glocks to the right (left handed folks) I am always reminded of Evan:

"All people are born left handed and convert to right after they commit their first sin."

Jim, chiefest of sinners
Jim Higginbotham Posted - October 23 2017 : 09:47:16 AM

Jim
gauchobill Posted - October 23 2017 : 09:32:29 AM
With some different guns I don't always get the left hand well against the left side of the grip. When I fail to do this I invariably shoot left. Seems to depend on the fit against my left, supporting hand.
Chris Christian Posted - October 23 2017 : 09:04:35 AM
I had that problem with Glocks, and just Glocks, until I shifted my trigger finger position and pulled the trigger with the center of the trigger finger pad. It seemed to give me a straight back pull that cured the low left 'trigger jerk'.

StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.48seconds. Snitz Forums 2000