Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
 All Forums
 Shooting
 Glocks
 New Glock Gen 5

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I] Cheeky [:x)]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)] Speechless [:u]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)] Spin [88]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)] Loud [()]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?] Wink2 [;)]
Bugout [8~o] Kiss [xox] Love [xo] Grow [%] Cry [:-[)]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Pop Pop Posted - September 30 2017 : 10:09:58 AM
I am seriously thinking of trading my gen 3 Glock 19 for a new gen 5 model and start carrying it again. My gen 3 is just tad too large to feel comfortable in my hand.

My question is, is the gen 5 really smaller in the grip area? Also what is your guys opinions?

I can shoot the Glocks well, and can keep my fingers off the triggers until needed. That seems to be a problem for some, as I heard on the news recently, an officer shot a couch on a hard entry.

I guess I could get a grip reduction, but that would cost as much as a trade for a gen 5.
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Steve in Michigan Posted - October 10 2017 : 09:50:40 AM
Evan -

Have you given up on your Sig P250? I sure wouldn't want to carry a Glock in an appendix holster, but would have no problem with a P250.
Pop Pop Posted - October 10 2017 : 08:31:26 AM
My problem with the gen 3 mdl 19 Glock, I now have, is the I have mid size hands and the grip is a total handful for me. It is just not as comfortable and does not feel right in my hand as I want it too. That is why I am not carrying it and carry the Kahr P 9 instead. May I also say I have a mdl 23 Glock 40 caliber and carried it for about 5 years, when I was younger. It was and is snappy in the hand. Arthritis is living there now. Why I went to the 9 MM.

I am looking at the gen 5 because of the grip size. After a two week "leaf peeping" RV trip in the nearby mountains, I am going to my LGS and get serious about the change.

Do you guys think the gen 5 has been out long enough to get the bugs out? Or am I wasting time and possible money on this trade?
Evan Posted - October 09 2017 : 1:58:56 PM
I carry a Gen 3 Glock 22 every day and like it and trust it, but that seems an awful lot of changes for what in the beginning was advertised as Glock Perfection.
gauchobill Posted - October 09 2017 : 07:58:36 AM
Recently I had surgery on my right thumb, which is a part of my dominant hand. Knowing it would be some time before I could use my right hand again to shoot with, I started shooting with single hand--the left, non-dominant one. Until that time, I never gave a thought to a slide release for the left hand. Shooting left hand was at first very awkward, but I improved every time I went to the range. Now, a left hand oriented slide release doesn't seem like a bad idea, although I also could reach most slide releases oriented for the right hand with my left hand--it just seemed awkward.

Some of the slide releases that were difficult for me to access with the left hand were on the FNs I own. They are small and difficult to press with the left hand. Other than that most can be easily operated with the left hand. If you ever get into a gunfight, know that either hand/arm can be wounded in a way that takes it out of the fight. Practicing wrong-handed shooting and operating your handgun-of-choice with either hand alone might save your life some time.
4949shooter Posted - October 09 2017 : 06:50:34 AM
I held one of the Gen 5's at the range. It seemed like my old Gen 2 G23 grip. And the trigger was improved.

I will be getting one in the future, that is, if I don't wait for the new G46 to come out.
bandaidman Posted - October 02 2017 : 12:59:53 AM
Pop pop, when I posted confessions of a Glock hater the two things that I noticed were the grip felt smaller and I didn't have to twist my wrist to get a sight picture. Those were the biggest reasons I've disliked glocks from the git go. The trigger wasn't as bad ether, that was me in my LGS holding and aiming at my favorite stuffed animal (it's high enough that I don't point at even the tallest clerk as they walk by).
Nobby42d Posted - October 01 2017 : 07:49:31 AM
My Gen 5 G19 is definitely smaller in the grip. Has to be more than just fingergrip removal. Also seems to acquire proper sight picture better- that is, don’t need to bend wrist down as much to keep front sight from being up out of notch.
Unfortunately, mine had a trigger reset issue. The trigger would sometimes fail to reset when slide was retracted without pulling trigger. It’s now on it’s way back to Glock. Rep said mine was first he’d seen with that issue. Customer Svc answered Mon morn on first ring. No RMA required. I like it, hop it’s back soon.
gw Posted - September 30 2017 : 11:38:19 AM
there's a list of changes besides the grip shape

A barrel with a new cut rifling and crown design
a flared magwell for easier magazine insertion
an ambidextrous slide stop ( if you think you need that)
nDLC finish that “comes in all your favorite colors” as long as its black.

Internal changes:
they removed a locking block pin (don't know why)
dehorned the nose of the gun (should reprofile the rear too)
added a firing pin safety similar to the G42 and 43 models
added a new extractor (again, keep an eye on that change)
and the front rails have been reinforced.

also substantial changes to the trigger:
added a trigger spring assembly that compresses instead of stretches (should improve durability of that assembly)
redesigned the trigger mechanism housing
re-contoured the bottom of the trigger
modified the trigger pin so the slots are “not quite as deep and actually engages on the ambidextrous slide stop lever in both spots versus the one spot on the old style
and the trigger bar has been modified to work with the new trigger spring

I like the grip shape, my gen2 G17 feels and points a little better for me, but I can live with finger grooves.

the internal changes though interest me, and might be worth a change.

but I'll wait until these get wrung out a little longer, with the FBI issueing them, the bugs should come out soon....
Uncle Mike Posted - September 30 2017 : 10:43:17 AM
Hi Pop Pop, I have not seen a Gen 5 in person so I'm only giving my "flawed" opinion. I am against chasing Generations unless you have a solid reason. I don't like finger grooves so; that's good. I like the Polygonal Barrel and I don't shoot lead in my Glock's, so neutral. I like the flared magazine well, but not critical to me. I'm not left handed and I don't use the slide stop to re-cycle my weapons, so neutral. I have not heard that the grip is smaller just sans finger grooves. If you want a smaller pistol how about the 43? Good Luck in your decision and keep us posted, regards, Mike

StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.16seconds. Snitz Forums 2000