Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
 All Forums
 Shooting
 Wheelgun Chronicles
 RevolverGuy

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I] Cheeky [:x)]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)] Speechless [:u]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)] Spin [88]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)] Loud [()]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?] Wink2 [;)]
Bugout [8~o] Kiss [xox] Love [xo] Grow [%] Cry [:-[)]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Ten Driver Posted - August 27 2017 : 02:30:46 AM
Hello Folks,

My friend and I have been working on a blog dedicated to revolvers, and we've got a few entries that you might enjoy if you're a wheelgun fan. Please take a look and let us know what you think. The approved link is in the Website References subforum.

Thanks!
Mike
25   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
BatteryOaksBilly Posted - March 06 2020 : 3:56:36 PM
The Taurus View..the original With the window weighs 11 ounces loaded. We have been using here on the range for learning purposes a 148 grain HBWC with the hollow base holding a 00 buckshot. The load makes for a 210 grain load. It is running 710 FPS out of the 1 inch barrel. The projectiles hit the target less than 2 inches apart at 10 yards. This thing will literally go in your shirt pocket. Or course it is No Longer made!
Arvinator Posted - February 05 2020 : 9:44:14 PM
I have some Remington GS .357 for my 4 inch Model 66 and I liked them when I shot a few.

I'm still fond of the Silvertips in .357 in my L frame S&W 681...
Evan Posted - February 05 2020 : 4:43:29 PM
laying in bed last night losing at Hearts on my Fire when I remembered that I chronod a number of .357 Smith Model 640 and the Gold Sabre ran almost 1200 fps from the 640 barrel and was controllable. The CCI GD short barrel stuff barely broke 1,000 fops with the .357 version.
Evan Posted - February 03 2020 : 2:18:22 PM
Mike-Rem GS .357 125 gr -seems to be a nice 3/4 Magnum round that is doable with J frames like my wife's Smith 640.
Pop Pop Posted - February 03 2020 : 11:06:51 AM
I have been using Cor Bon DPX 357 ammo in my carry revolver. They expand well in water jugs, for what it's worth. My wife uses 38 Spl DPX in her Mdl 65 3". They expand well also.
840 Posted - February 03 2020 : 01:09:55 AM
Originally posted by Evan:
Mike-in another Century I tried hbwc loaded backwards but could never get them to fly straight from a J fame. The colts would keep them on the straight and narrow but then Super Vel showed up and that's what I carried in my second gun.

Evan, first, note my 'signature' below.

Now, I got to enjoy the time and effort my brother Ed put into reloading. It just wasn't something I felt like ding as I had other interests, and too many kids coming along during the era in my life. He had played with backward-seating the 148 gr. HBWC about '68 to '72, just now and then, and we both got a hold of some of those light-and-fast Super-Vels in '72. Also got a Charter Arms short-barrel that we first tried them out in. Interesting.

It wasn't until '74/'75 when my brother worked for a smaller town department in Eastern Oregon when he got into reloading more seriously when he worked up some decent-performing 'Backwards-Bullets' (I just said I was loaded with B-B's or describe my hide-out as a 'BB Gun') but eventually it was easy to say we carried 'Wide-Mouth Bullets.'

In short-guns we used S&W J & K frames, Charter Arms and a Colt Detective Special. In a service gun we fired them in a wider variety of 4" bbls. S&W K frames, a Dan Wesson, Ruger Security Six and later a GP-100, a Colt Python I had and didn't like, and I think my brother used a Lawman or Trooper as well. Sometimes, in any of the handguns used, they would key-hole but most of the time they'd punch a nice round hole.

Ed passed away in 2011 and I don't have all of the notes he kept, but I do know he ended up selecting a softer lead instead of a harder lead, and he also started gas-checking them. Their velocity was about 845 fps, ±5, and I have no clue which bullets or powder he settled on.

I do know that for his 'special purpose' use and for the coyote hunting I'd do up-close, his 'BB Gun' loadings worked quite well. I wish I could find some modern ammunition that gave me that loading and worked well and consistently ... and was affordable.

'840'
Ten Driver Posted - February 02 2020 : 12:51:57 PM
Interesting! Must have been the better twist rate that Colt used. The Colt barrels had a reputation for being more accurate than the S&Ws back in the day, because of the twist rate. That’s why custom smiths like Bill Davis went to the effort of hanging Colt barrels on S&W frames—best barrel mated to the best action.

I’m pretty impressed with the Hornady Critical Duty and Speer GDSB in .357 these days. What has been your experience with these, Evan?
Evan Posted - February 02 2020 : 07:11:47 AM
Mike-in another Century I tried hbwc loaded backwards but could never get them to fly straight from a J fame. The colts would keep them on the straight and narrow but then Super Vel showed up and that's what I carried in my second gun.

Now that I only carry wheel guns I'm looking for a .357 load I like.
Ten Driver Posted - February 01 2020 : 11:42:04 PM
SHOT 2020 revolver highlights posted over at the blog. Of note:

The Python was a pleasant surprise. I had expected to be disappointed, but was not. The guns were nicely made and finished, and the actions were excellent—the best factory-standard DA actions to be had today, in my opinion. There’s a few videos floating around on the interwebs showing the cylinder fail to rotate when the trigger is pulled, and those certainly bear investigation, but the guns had not been returned to Colt’s yet at the time of the show, so they couldn’t comment.

Even if the problem turns out to be the guns (and not the shooter, which is definitely a possibility—short stroking can cause that issue), I suspect Colt’s will figure it out quickly and make appropriate adjustments. Evan’s One Year Rule applies again, but I’m excited about this new Python and it appears to be a worthy successor in an era where manufacturing has shifted away from skilled labor and hand-fitting.

Good news—Kimber has quietly redesigned their K6s firing pin and it’s now being machined out of steel. The previous design, made from Titanium, was developing a reputation for breaking after dry fire. This new FP design and material should fix this troubling issue, and eliminate the Achilles Heel of this otherwise excellent gun. New replacement sight blades are also rumored to be in the works, to fix the regulation issues we encountered during T&E. This is also very good news.

Mike

Ten Driver Posted - January 11 2020 : 3:47:59 PM
The cussed and discussed S&W Lock is featured this week. Enjoy!
840 Posted - November 05 2019 : 03:30:32 AM
Mike, Digging through some notes I had made from my brother's hand-load notes, I couldn't find the brand bullet he settled on. Knowing him it might have been the Winchester 148 gr. HBWC that he seated backwards. Nor can I find the specific load data I couldn't mention here anyway, but I do recall he loaded things very consistently as he was into perfection when it came to his reloading time and effort. I do recall they had a MV of about 845 FPS ±5.

That's all the info I could find. Just wish I could have also found a 50 round box or two of them, but no luck.

'840'
840 Posted - October 16 2019 : 8:41:21 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Ten Driver
840, if you want to drop me a line at mike@revolverguy.com I’d love to follow up on that with you.

V/R
Mike

Mike, I'll get to that this evening.

'840'
Ten Driver Posted - October 16 2019 : 04:59:10 AM
840, if you want to drop me a line at mike@revolverguy.com I’d love to follow up on that with you.

V/R
Mike
840 Posted - October 14 2019 : 12:28:42 AM
quote:
Originally posted by:
Ten Driver

840, did you guys load up the hollow-based wadcutters backwards, as some did?
Yes, my brother Ed started hand-loading in '68, but by '74 he had more time, patience, and better reloading equipment to work up his loads and checked them all at the range as he progressed using 3 to 5 different revolvers.

Other than to have some that we carried in our snubs in the off-hand pocket, he did have a speedloader along with them at-the-ready. I can't describe the purpose on here of how and when he used them, but I can tell you that the results were eye-opening at the time.

I don't recall which brand HBWC he used or the final loading he settled on, but I know he had a gas check on the front-end which was inserted in the cartridge case first.

Not sure if I can provide my phone number here for you to reach me. It's easier to describe the events of their use via phone conversation.

'840'
Ten Driver Posted - October 13 2019 : 11:14:22 PM
quote:
Originally posted by 840
Both my older brother & I used to carry 148 gr. wadcutters. Factory production and some my brother hand-loaded.

'840'

840, did you guys load up the hollow-based wadcutters backwards, as some did?
840 Posted - October 13 2019 : 6:45:43 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Ten Driver
We’re talking about wadcutters for defense and would love to hear your thoughts and experiences.
An interesting topic that I read with interest. Both my older brother & I used to carry 148 gr. wadcutters. Factory production and some my brother hand-loaded.

The hand-loadeds were not carried specifically for LE duty, but were 'on-hand' if we wanted to use them. His special-case testing was interesting, and effective as well. That was back in the good old mid-'70s revolver era.

'840'
Ten Driver Posted - October 13 2019 : 4:59:23 PM
We’re talking about wadcutters for defense and would love to hear your thoughts and experiences
Ten Driver Posted - May 22 2019 : 01:07:51 AM
All you Ruger fans might appreciate the deep dive we’ve taken into the LCR these last couple weeks. Enjoy!
LittleBill Posted - April 03 2019 : 6:26:37 PM
I want one if those special Navy Seal Taurus Judges in the worst way!

Talk about taking tacti-cool to a whole new level....

Ten Driver Posted - April 03 2019 : 4:42:35 PM
Glad you enjoyed it Bill!
LittleBill Posted - April 02 2019 : 9:16:19 PM
Very funny! Found myself laughing out loud several times.

Ten Driver Posted - April 01 2019 : 6:14:40 PM
It’s April Fools over at RevolverGuy. Enjoy!
Jim Higginbotham Posted - February 04 2019 : 5:01:31 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Ace

Patience?! What patience? I'm gonna mail my comments to you snail mail. Ace

My frequent prayer - often used while running a firing line - is: "Lord give me patience...and I want it RIGHT NOW!"
Jim
Ten Driver Posted - February 04 2019 : 12:28:50 PM
SHOT Review posted
Ten Driver Posted - January 18 2019 : 12:02:52 AM
"DA Function Check" posted for those of you who rely on round guns!

StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.11seconds. Snitz Forums 2000