Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
 All Forums
 Shooting
 Pistol Palace
 Sig 320 Rumor Control

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I] Cheeky [:x)]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)] Speechless [:u]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)] Spin [88]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)] Loud [()]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?] Wink2 [;)]
Bugout [8~o] Kiss [xox] Love [xo] Grow [%] Cry [:-[)]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Ten Driver Posted - August 03 2017 : 5:41:16 PM
Hello,

I've been told that a regional academy is having issues with Sig 320 magazine baseplates popping off, and spilling the guts of the mag.

I've not heard of this happening elsewhere, so I'm soliciting your feedback.

Have any of our esteemed forum members heard similar reports or experienced similar problems with Sig 320 baseplates? It's hard for me to know if this is a self-induced problem (improper reassembly after cleaning, or perhaps damaging the baseplate during disassembly) or if there is a QC or design problem here. It would help to get more data from other sources to determine the nature of the problem.

Thanks,
Mike
17   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Bill D Posted - August 10 2017 : 9:05:52 PM
Watched a video today of a Sig 320 being dropped on cement from about 5 feet and discharging. Also read that Sig has made some changes to the internals. The video was on a !911 site. I have to agree with Gerald, I'm sticking with my 1911's and CZ's. Evan always says wait awhile on new pistols. Bill
jle3030 Posted - August 10 2017 : 12:59:46 PM
The One Year Rule is alive and well....

Jeff
Gerald Posted - August 09 2017 : 7:45:01 PM
The Firearms Blog has a story that Sig new and changed the trigger,
striker and sear, lightening up the parts as well as adding a disconnect for an engineering change on the MHS contract competition. Me I don't know I've dry fired one these and find the triggerinteresting but I'm sticking with Glocks,1911s and revolvers.
Ace Posted - August 06 2017 : 3:14:41 PM
On Mr. Wenger's site, there's information that the whole kerfluffle came about from somebody at Dallas PD reading an old article with outdated information. Supposedly it's all straightened out, and as soon as the bureaucracy gets in gear, the 320 will again be approved for use. Ace
gw Posted - August 06 2017 : 11:10:01 AM
the 101st ABN is going to receive 2,000 320s in November and begin training with them.

if they can't break them no one can......
LittleBill Posted - August 06 2017 : 10:04:13 AM
Ten Driver Posted - August 06 2017 : 03:56:37 AM
On NBC I saw that they dropped a 320 and it set a GM pickup truck on fire.
Chris Christian Posted - August 05 2017 : 11:20:42 AM
It's very difficult to know what academy rookies are doing with their guns, or whether an officer with a new short striker fired trigger (instead of the traditional DA/SA they were trained on) did a dumb ND and then concocted a story to blame it on the gun.

I've run a T&E on the P320 for the NRA without problems. The military (presumably) did a more exhaustive test. And, as noted, the gun uses the P250 mags, which have worked well. I also spent a week or so with a P250 for a T&E when they first came out.

It could be QC on SIG's part... or just CYA on the agency's part. There's no real way to know.... but the P250 and P320 guns seem to work quite well.... at least in mine, and others, experience.

If CNN gets involved we'll know it's BS

jle3030 Posted - August 05 2017 : 08:46:09 AM
Sig says there is no problem with the 320 being drop safe. On the other hand Dallas PD has pulled all Sig 320's from service until such time as Sig corrects their problem with the 320 discharging when dropped. Officers have the choice of drawing department owned 226's from inventory or buying their own replacement guns as long as they're not 320's. I can't see all that fuss unless at least one 320 has indeed fired when "dropped". Unless the events have actually been one or more ND's, with no witnesses, being passed off as an arguably more excusable "dropped gun". Dallas appears to be moving from a DA/SA system to a short trigger striker fired gun....

Jeff
Ten Driver Posted - August 04 2017 : 8:50:17 PM
Interesting timing--I just received a press release from Sig today that affirms they do not have a problem with the gun being drop safe. A friend advises this might be in response to complaints from the Dallas PD after their adoption of the gun?
LittleBill Posted - August 04 2017 : 6:53:09 PM
Ten Driver Posted - August 04 2017 : 12:07:15 PM
Ha! Bill, you earned a belly laugh with that one!

As is usually the case, this report lacked critical details that would make the real story more clear. I'm suspicious about the claim, but figured I'd look for other evidence, because the report I received indicated that factory reps were involved but had not been able to correct the problem yet.

Again, I'm suspicious.

If there was a real problem, I suspect someone here on the forum would know about it.

Mike
LittleBill Posted - August 04 2017 : 08:43:34 AM
I can't help wondering if the Russians might somehow be involved....?

gauchobill Posted - August 04 2017 : 08:41:42 AM
I can't imagine "Glock fanboys" would invent such a story although nothing shocks me much anymore. Magazine baseplates are mechanically so simple it is equally incomprehensible that one could be made with such a flaw---who knows?
bandaidman Posted - August 04 2017 : 05:34:17 AM
As badly as Glock wanted the contract and as hard as they are trying to get the government to change it, my thoughts are (and no offense meant to any one here) Glock fanboys are trying to spread discontent. I've seen it already on you tube videos. I almost bought a 320 prior to the government contract when it actually was a good deal. But bought a second XD to match my first one. Glocks have never fit my hands as hard as I have tried. The 4th gen comes closest, but the XD just feels better to me especially the mod 2 version.
Evan Posted - August 03 2017 : 8:28:10 PM
I had a SIG P320 and tried to like it but I did not.. Never had any problems but just didn't like it. In my experience base plate problems are due to operator error. The 320 uses the same mags at the P250 and I've never had or heard of any issues with these mags.
Ten Driver Posted - August 03 2017 : 6:21:33 PM
My inclination is to suspect that this is an operator problem somehow--perhaps they aren't reassembling the mag properly, or they are damaging the equipment during disassembly--but would be interested to hear if there are other credible reports that might point to something else.

If I'm not mistaken, the 320 uses the same mags as the 250? If there had been a design flaw, we would have heard of it by now.

Mike

StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.16seconds. Snitz Forums 2000