Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
 All Forums
 Shooting
 The 1911
 9mm 1911s

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I] Cheeky [:x)]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)] Speechless [:u]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)] Spin [88]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)] Loud [()]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?] Wink2 [;)]
Bugout [8~o] Kiss [xox] Love [xo] Grow [%] Cry [:-[)]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
buck Posted - February 28 2016 : 08:37:23 AM
I have one made by Les Baer and I think this is my very favorite pistol to shoot. Soft recoiling, relatively cheap to shoot, holds 10 rounds in a single stack that feels perfect in my hand, and if I miss it's nobody's fault but mine.

Sadly, Les no longer makes 9mm. Too long and slow to get the Kart barrels.
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
michael t Posted - October 15 2016 : 7:26:49 PM
My 9mm Colt Commander is a old one 1951. I carry it now and then. Still prefer the 45.
Malcolm Posted - July 06 2016 : 9:50:39 PM
Thanks! I'll check them out for travel to the family tribal lands in my native California, where the mere trout of someone (other than a thug)possessing a firearm is viewed at with revulsion and disgust, and it is under the limit for normal people's mag capacity,too! BONUS!
LittleBill Posted - July 06 2016 : 4:05:50 PM
Malcolm, looks to be 9 + 1

From the Ruger website:

Sturm, Ruger & Company, Inc. (NYSE: RGR) is excited to announce the addition of the Ruger® SR1911® Lightweight Commander-Style pistol chambered in 9mm Luger. Like the SR1911 Lightweight Commander-Style pistol in .45 Auto, this 9mm version features a commander-length slide and an aluminum frame that weigh almost a half-pound less than the all-stainless steel Commander-Style configuration. This model also comes with a new look, including black rubberized grip panels and a gray anodized frame.

The lightweight aluminum frame, shorter barrel and commander-length slide combine with the 9mm chambering to create a winning combination for concealed carry. The 9mm SR1911 is thin, small and light enough to be comfortably carried every day, yet still employs the outstanding ergonomics and shootability of the classic 1911. The effective 9mm Luger cartridge also provides higher magazine capacity and less recoil than the larger .45 Auto.

Ruger's American-made, CNC machined SR1911 comes fully equipped with upgraded features like Ruger's classic series 70-type lockwork, genuine Novak® LoMount Carry three-dot sights, a lowered and flared ejection port, titanium firing pin and a precision machined barrel with matched bushing. These pistols also come standard with an integral plunger tube, beaver-tail grip safety, extended magazine release, oversize thumb safety, skeletonized hammer and skeletonized aluminum trigger for fast, accurate shooting; all this without the price tag of a full custom gun.

The new Ruger SR1911 Lightweight Commander-Style 9mm Luger model features a 4.25" barrel, improved cocking serrations on the slide, a ramped barrel for reliable feeding and weighs 29.3 ounces with an empty magazine. This pistol ships with two 9-round magazines, a bushing wrench and a cable locking device.
Malcolm Posted - July 06 2016 : 3:23:15 PM
LB,
What is the mag capacity!
LittleBill Posted - July 05 2016 : 07:35:22 AM
This in today's 'inbox':

Sturm, Ruger & Company, Inc. announces the addition of the Ruger® SR1911® Lightweight Commander-Style pistol chambered in 9mm Luger. Like the SR1911 Lightweight Commander-Style pistol in .45 Auto, this 9mm version features a commander-length slide and an aluminum frame that weigh almost a half-pound less than the all-stainless steel Commander-Style
106rr Posted - May 10 2016 : 9:03:18 PM
Five or six years ago, I bought a Springfield Loaded in stainless with a mixed batch of 21 mags. They all worked just fine. I sold three of the mags to a friend and he is still using them. Mine have been no trouble. It's a very accurate pistol and was bought used from a cop.
These 9mm 1911 s usually have to be obtained on the used market because of the Cal DOJ list restriction where I live
Ten Driver Posted - April 29 2016 : 01:57:27 AM
McCormick was the other maker I was thinking of. McCormick and Wilson are both marketing newly-designed 9mm 1911 mags that are supposed to be improvements on previous designs.

Mike
Jim Higginbotham Posted - March 13 2016 : 5:31:07 PM
I love Jim G.s work and one of my Colt 9mm's is a Combat Commander he built for a friend who passed away. But I've sure had stoppages with 9mm ball in it not many but far more than any of my personal .45s (I don't remember the last time I had a stoppage in my practice gun - but I do recall I had one early on when I learned I had to clean it about every 5,000 rounds - it gets gummy with cast bullets over time)

Not his fault I think. He builds a great gun. It is *very* accurate.

BTW - I put a Bar-sto Super .38 barrel in the combat commander - it works but I cannot claim any confidence yet as I've only fired a few hundred rounds through it.

Jim
Michael Shovel Posted - March 12 2016 : 11:23:44 AM
Jim Garthwaite installed a 9x23 barrel in my S&W 9mm 1911. I can shoot soft 9mm ammo for plinking and target shooting or 38 Suoer and 9x23 ammo for 357 mag or Sig performance.
Uncle Mike Posted - March 12 2016 : 11:02:40 AM
Hi, I've shot 1000's of rounds thru a Colt and a Springfield 1911, 9mm without a hitch. I usually use Colt marked magazines, regards, Mike
gw Posted - March 12 2016 : 10:24:25 AM
I've talked to three well known trainers, two of these are also very accomplished 1911 smiths, about 9mm 1911s and their popularity of late.

All 3 are impressed with the reliability of the current crop of 9mms, admit that most new students consistently do better with the light caliper and have moved towards 9mm 1911 themselves, comparing current SD ammo to .38 Super.

One also noted that in the sub 4 inch guns he builds (I know,they ain't 1911s), the 9mm guns are much more reliable than his .45s. He notes decreased slide velocity as the reason.

All three also admitted that with .45 1911s, ball ammo is the least reliable. My guess is that's the most used combination and impacts that conclusion, but it's is remarkable.
Jim Higginbotham Posted - March 12 2016 : 08:43:03 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Ten Driver

There are several new 9mm mags for the 1911 which aim to correct this situation. I know one of them is a Wilson Combat, and I'm drawing a blank on the other make I read about .......

I've tried several magazines that were supposed to be for 9mm only and claimed to correct the problem - they didn't do any better than Super .38 mags.

The problem is that the shorter round means it feeds at a steeper angle.

Mind you my 1911s in 9mm run about as good as my Glocks in 9mm (but the reasons for stoppages are different) but that isn't quite as good as a my 1911s in .45, 10mm and Super .38

YMMV - and probably does.

Jim
Ten Driver Posted - March 11 2016 : 11:32:02 PM
There are several new 9mm mags for the 1911 which aim to correct this situation. I know one of them is a Wilson Combat, and I'm drawing a blank on the other make I read about .......
Jim Higginbotham Posted - March 02 2016 : 09:00:13 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Christian

FWIW, my experience during 10 years as an action pistol range officer running squads in IDPA/USPSA is that 1911 9mms suffer a lot of malfunctions. This is due to the magazines. For those that have some that work ... great! But all 1911 magazines don't seem to be created equal.

The grip frame dimensions on the 1911 frame were speced out for the longer .45 ACP. The shorter 9mm needs some help in the mag with spacers to get the right feed angle. Wrong spacers - wrong feed angle - jams.

When Doug Koinig ( a national champion sponsored S&W shooter) was asked to help design a competition 1911 in a Minor caliber cartridge he chose the .38 Super over the 9mm. The .38 Super has the same overall length as the .45 ACP, so things tend to work.

I know some 1911 9mms run great. Not all do. FWIW.

Ditto on both the reason and the experience.

They are sure pleasing to shoot and I guess inexpensive now that .22 LR costs as much as 9mm

Jim
Uncle Mike Posted - February 29 2016 : 9:36:52 PM
Hi, just for information. I usually use Colt magazines. I never had a problem or a "bobble". The only thing I did to my pistol was replace the trigger and stake the grip escutcheons. When I got my Springfield Inc. 9mm it had a 38 Super magazine. (?) My friend told me it would work but a I got a 9mm and used the 38 Super magazine with my 38 Super pistol, regards, Mike
TheQuietMan Posted - February 29 2016 : 5:36:32 PM
STI Trojan. Tripp Cobra magazines.

Chris Christian Posted - February 29 2016 : 4:25:10 PM
FWIW, my experience during 10 years as an action pistol range officer running squads in IDPA/USPSA is that 1911 9mms suffer a lot of malfunctions. This is due to the magazines. For those that have some that work ... great! But all 1911 magazines don't seem to be created equal.

The grip frame dimensions on the 1911 frame were speced out for the longer .45 ACP. The shorter 9mm needs some help in the mag with spacers to get the right feed angle. Wrong spacers - wrong feed angle - jams.

When Doug Koinig ( a national champion sponsored S&W shooter) was asked to help design a competition 1911 in a Minor caliber cartridge he chose the .38 Super over the 9mm. The .38 Super has the same overall length as the .45 ACP, so things tend to work.

I know some 1911 9mms run great. Not all do. FWIW.

jle3030 Posted - February 29 2016 : 4:01:02 PM
It strikes me as being akin to putting a 4 cylinder engine in a Corvette. But my rational side thinks I might really like it if I tried one. Maybe I should go down in steps. A .38 Super first, perhaps?

Jeff
buck Posted - February 29 2016 : 09:26:01 AM
Another thing I like is the soft recoil spring makes slide operation easy. I figure as I get yet more decrepit that will be a good thing.

10 accurate rounds is plenty enough for anything I want or will ever need to do with a pistol. Some may think my man card is forfeit for not having it be a 45, I don't care. I'm coming out of the closet to say I love 9mm 1911s.
Uncle Mike Posted - February 28 2016 : 09:08:51 AM
Hi Buck, I have a "plain Jane" Springfield that I picked up in a trade. It shoots good and like you say," Soft recoiling, relatively cheap to shoot". My friend had a Colt Cmdr. in 9mm that was wonderful. I can't repeat that experience in any 1911. I finally narrowed it down to he had stocked it with real ivory grips. I remember Keith said,in one of his books, that ivory "just settled in the hand". Any way Colt still makes a 9mm and a 38 Super, regards, Mike

StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.19seconds. Snitz Forums 2000