Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
 All Forums
 Shooting
 The 1911
 Colt,Springfield or Ruger 1911

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I] Cheeky [:x)]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)] Speechless [:u]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)] Spin [88]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)] Loud [()]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?] Wink2 [;)]
Bugout [8~o] Kiss [xox] Love [xo] Grow [%] Cry [:-[)]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
FORT CHAFFEE Posted - February 03 2016 : 6:01:22 PM
I'm retired now and i have more time to shoot. The problem is i don't know who makes the best 1911 for the money. I don't think this will be a carry gun as i have too many years in with my Glock 19. I just love to shoot a 1911. What does the forum think? Thanks.
25   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
FORT CHAFFEE Posted - July 04 2016 : 1:04:50 PM
Thanks for all the post. I have been able to shoot most of the 1911's on my short list. The last one I shot was a Rock Island 5in. with adj. sights and fiber optic front sight. I didn't have this on my list but a gunsmith that has done work for me for the past 30 years told me he likes Rock Island very much. Also Bill D's post of how much he likes them. The Rock Island was the best out of the box 1911 I shot. All the Rock Island needs is Wilson D47 mags. and ammo. Number two was the Ruger. I wish I had been able to shoot a LW Ruger but I was unable to find one I could shoot. This has been fun for me to shoot,read post and talk to gun people about what and why they like in current 1911's. This is just me. If you like something different that's ok, I hope you enjoy shooting your 1911.
pochis Posted - July 03 2016 : 11:50:49 AM
FORT CHAFFEE,I WOULD LIKE TO THROW A CURVE IN HERE TO THE CHOICES... THE SPRIGFIELD LOADED IS FUN, THE RUGER SEEMS OK BUT HERE IS THE CURVE, REMINGTON HAS THE R1 AND KEEPS UPGRADING TO THE ENHANCED VERSIO , VERY NICE TIGHT AND ACCURATE.
Bill D Posted - July 03 2016 : 05:47:12 AM
I'd get a Rock Island, they are series 70, relatively inexpensive, all Colt parts are interchangeable. I have a few and they are well made. A lot of 1911's use Rock Island frames and parts, STI and others. You can have a lot of fun putting in after market parts, Wilson etc. and building a personal pistol. The Rock Islands are good pistols. I have Colts too, but you can buy two Rocks for the price of one Colt.....Bill
Jim Higginbotham Posted - July 02 2016 : 11:08:15 AM
quote:
Originally posted by dubiousone

I have been underwhelmed with Colt's QC for a while.....but nothing beats a real, untouched 70's era 1911. If you want something better tha nthat, its hard to beat the Ruger SR1911. That would be my pick though generally, I like my Springie's. Some still have some sharp edges but they're done up pretty good these days.

I would agree completely. I'd only add that just about every company has put out some lemons and has had bad years - S&W Revolvers had a time when they were pretty "iffy".

Jim
Pop Pop Posted - July 02 2016 : 10:49:28 AM
My next handgun purchase, L/w, will be a Ruger SR 1911. Want a lever long gun real bad also.

Edited.
Just purchased a Remington 1911R1 at Christmas.
dubiousone Posted - May 11 2016 : 10:10:55 AM
I have been underwhelmed with Colt's QC for a while.....but nothing beats a real, untouched 70's era 1911. If you want something better tha nthat, its hard to beat the Ruger SR1911. That would be my pick though generally, I like my Springie's. Some still have some sharp edges but they're done up pretty good these days.
106rr Posted - May 10 2016 : 9:11:26 PM
For what it's worth, I have two Springfields and one Colt. All are reliable but the Springfields are more accurate.
One is a 9mm Loaded and the other is a basic Springfield 45 ACP rebuilt by John Jardine .The Colt is a Gold Cup series 80 stainless. The Jardine rebuild is the most accurate.
Nanuk Posted - February 21 2016 : 8:40:28 PM
An engineer did a test some years back with a Colt slide and concluded that it was not possible to detonate a primer when dropped muzzle down from about 23 feet. Lawyers have their own rules though.
FORT CHAFFEE Posted - February 16 2016 : 3:51:38 PM
Guys thanks for all the great post. This is what i was looking fore first hand experience.
lashlaruhe Posted - February 16 2016 : 10:51:21 AM
I have owned 9 Colt made 1911's, beginning in 1967. Of the 9 about 5 had some type poblem, Front sight loose, front sight gone with the wind, recoil spring tunnel off center frame tunnel rub, recoil spring plug AWOL while shooting. My problem with Colt is that they have been manufacturing them the longest and still have to many Friday afternoon before vacation, Monday morningf first day after Christmas vacation 1911's to blanket recommend them over some others. I had 2each Blue Govt models, 1 each Gold Cup, 1 each LW commander, 1 each Colt Officers Model, 1 each SS rail Model of 100 year model, 1 each Series 70 100 year model and 1 each SS series 80 Bovt (still have this one)
Jim Higginbotham Posted - February 16 2016 : 10:16:13 AM
quote:
Originally posted by FORT CHAFFEE

Jim thanks for the information. From what the gun shop owners tell me they sale the Rugers as fast as they can get them. I was told by a gun shop owner Colt has cut the price on some of the new models. Would you rather have a Colt for about the same money? Thanks..........

That is a real dilemma - I'd not hesitate to buy a Colt Series 70 for the same money but the ones they cut the price on is a Series 80

A real tough call and I would not fault anyone for going either way.

The Ruger has MIM internals (which are easily replaced) but it has great features like good sights, beavertail, and the best thumb safety in the business

Colt has forged internals, decent sights (though I would replace the rear as they look sorta flimsy) but it also has the Firing Pin safety - that is not a "show stopper" for me but it is a distraction - typically I just toss that stuff but that is just me.

Jim
stykshooter Posted - February 16 2016 : 01:00:02 AM
Between my own guns and those of some of my shooting buddies, I get the opportunity to play with numerous pistols that will fall into your price range. One thing that I have learned is that 1911's can be finicky. Two identical guns from the same maker can be on opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of performance.

I have shot two of the Ruger 1911's and can't find anything wrong with either of them. They were both reasonably accurate and each had a few hiccups, as you would expect from a new weapon until it was broken in. I guess I am old school though and it is hard for me to get into an all stainless 1911. They oughta be blued.

I had a Springfield Range Officer for a month or so. I really wanted this gun and wanted to like it. Nicely made with adjustable sights and shot ball ammo well. When I tried to feed it my cast 185 and 200 grain loads it jammed up on me about every 4 or 5 shots. I bought it used from a guy who was having the same issues and thought that I could fix the feeding problems. Lots of time in the gun polishing and stoning and still had issues.

Both of my sons have Remington 1911's. Not the entry level guns but the R-1 Enhanced. They sell for about $800.00 and seem to be a great value. Both of their pistols are dependable and very accurate. They look to be a real well made gun and both my sons love theirs.

I currently have three Kimbers. One is 20 years old, another ten years old. A Custom and a Custom Royal. Both of those guns have been outstanding... feed most anything I load in a mag and accurate as any other pistol I have shot. My old Custom will put a full magazine of rounds in your business card at 20 yards using a 185 grain cast bullet over a stout load of Herco.

I recently bought a new Kimber Custom II two tone a couple of months back. This is a relatively inexpensive pistol that sells for around $700.00. I have been very impressed with this particular pistol. I had some issues at first with feeding. I had stuck a Brownells recoil buffer in it when I first got the pistol, as I do on all of my 1911's. I had several stove pipe jams with the pistol so I removed the buffer. No problems since. This gun will shoot either my pet hand load of a 200 grain cast semi wadcutter over WW 231 or C.C.I. 200 grain factory Gold Dot into 1.5-2" at 20 yards all day. I may have just gotten a very good example but this is an impressive gun.

A real surprise to me has been some of the Sigarms 1911's. I have had a Scorpion and a second model that I think was the FastBack on the range. I think that they both sell for under $900.00. I don't care for the desert tan coloration of the Scorpion but both of these guns were exceedingly accurate in the hands of a half dozen shooters. The Scorpion was scary accurate. I shot five rounds at 25 yards resting on a barricade into a ragged hole the size of a 35 mm film canister lid. Everyone made the comment that either of these guns were more accurate than anything we had shot until you get into the pricey guns like a Les Bauer, Wilson or Dan Wesson.

I haven't gotten the chance to play with the new Colt competition pistol but that will probably be my next 1911 purchase. Seems to be a nice package at an attractive price point. I have owned three full sized Colt 1911's over the years and each turned out to be a huge disappointment. Feeding and accuracy problems. I did have a Combat Commander that was an outstanding pistol. I hope they have all of that worked out in the new model.
Uncle Mike Posted - February 15 2016 : 4:42:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jim Higginbotham

Actually I think he said something like it would be nearly impossible to do that - He explained that if the gun falls butt down then it strikes the hammer on any hard surface - which actually forced the hammer backwards on a 1911 if it is cocked (I've actually seen him demonstrate that) - of course most modern guns do not have a spur hammer and a standard grip safety and they land on the back of the grip safety.
[/quote]

Hi Jim ,I'm getting my information from a talk he gave and included in the DVD series, " Jeff Cooper's Defensive Pistol Craft Tape Series", Paladin Press. He actually points under his chin, regards, Mike
FORT CHAFFEE Posted - February 15 2016 : 12:38:12 PM
Jim thanks for the information. From what the gun shop owners tell me they sale the Rugers as fast as they can get them. I was told by a gun shop owner Colt has cut the price on some of the new models. Would you rather have a Colt for about the same money? Thanks..........
Jim Higginbotham Posted - February 15 2016 : 09:42:15 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Mike

quote:

It is hard to beat a Colt but I sort of prefer the ones without firing pin safeties - which means just a tad over your price limit - a Series 70 "reproduction" will cost close to $1000 (if you shop around).
Jim

Hi Jim, I remember hearing Col.Cooper talk about the danger of dropping the 1911 and ending up with a bullet under your chin. This may have happened to Melvin Purvis. The 80 series which has the firing pin block can have the extra parts removed;there is even a YouTube on how to do it. I have heard that the extra safety will effect the trigger pull. I have shot and own both 70 and 80 series and I see no difference.(YMMV) My only complaint is that my Colt 22 conversion only fits on the 70 series. I'm not advocating disconnecting any safety, regards, Mike

[/quote]

Actually I think he said something like it would be nearly impossible to do that - He explained that if the gun falls butt down then it strikes the hammer on any hard surface - which actually forced the hammer backwards on a 1911 if it is cocked (I've actually seen him demonstrate that) - of course most modern guns do not have a spur hammer and a standard grip safety and they land on the back of the grip safety.

The way a 1911 *can* go off is if it is dropped and the muzzle strikes the hard surface pointed straight down - which is not only unusual at heights of less than 8 feet but if it does go off there is normally minimal damage to surrounding appendages.

The Govt. has contrived a device to drop one from a height of around 12 feet to strike on the muzzle (one dropped with no guidance almost always does not land with the muzzle pointing straight down). The standard Colt Govt. Model can go off that way but most other companies now use smaller and lighter firing pins and heavier FP springs and they will pass the 12 foot test.

Jim
Steve in Michigan Posted - February 11 2016 : 4:12:53 PM
Ruger solves the firing pin problem by putting in a titanium firing pin that is too light to go off if the pistol is dropped. So, it has a great trigger without the risk.
gw Posted - February 11 2016 : 3:01:29 PM
I've taken the firing pin safety out of series 80s and couldn't tell a difference, the Swartz system the early S&W 1911s had could cause light primer strikes though over time, I don't care for that at all.
Uncle Mike Posted - February 11 2016 : 1:41:04 PM
quote:

It is hard to beat a Colt but I sort of prefer the ones without firing pin safeties - which means just a tad over your price limit - a Series 70 "reproduction" will cost close to $1000 (if you shop around).
Jim
[/quote]

Hi Jim, I remember hearing Col.Cooper talk about the danger of dropping the 1911 and ending up with a bullet under your chin. This may have happened to Melvin Purvis. The 80 series which has the firing pin block can have the extra parts removed;there is even a YouTube on how to do it. I have heard that the extra safety will effect the trigger pull. I have shot and own both 70 and 80 series and I see no difference.(YMMV) My only complaint is that my Colt 22 conversion only fits on the 70 series. I'm not advocating disconnecting any safety, regards, Mike
Jim Higginbotham Posted - February 11 2016 : 1:06:55 PM
quote:

I'm retired now and i have more time to shoot. The problem is i don't know who makes the best 1911 for the money. I don't think this will be a carry gun as i have too many years in with my Glock 19. I just love to shoot a 1911. What does the forum think? Thanks.

Springfield Armory, Ruger, Dan Wesson and even CZ-USA make true to form guns.

Right now I'd put Ruger as the best value on those but the others are really good.

Jim
khclark Posted - February 09 2016 : 12:22:46 PM
S&W is not on your list, but I'll tell you about mine: I had a fixed sight SW1911 from first year of production (2003, I believe) and still have an adjustable sight SW1911 from second year of production. Both have been great: accurate, reliable, and durable, but were pricey (almost $1000 IIRC). Just a sample size of two, but a good trend. Production has long since been moved from Springfield MA to Houlton ME - so I can't speak to current production. I have been eyeing a Comander size bobtail E-series for a few years though (much $$$).
JACKSP Posted - February 04 2016 : 6:27:07 PM
I bought a blue Colt Commander 2 years ago. I have about 2000 rounds through it without any malfunctions.
Uncle Mike Posted - February 04 2016 : 4:09:16 PM
quote:

My problem is that Colt has had problems in the past few years and i don't know if they are still "the" 1911.... It looks well made but the sights are a question. I may need to swap them for something i can see better. The light weight commander is also back this year for about the same money. I think the Competitor may be what i'm looking for i'm just not sure. I want to keep a open mind to new 1911's. I may be a old dog but, you know how that goes. Thanks...........

Hi,just my take on this. I used to be a "gun pimp" ie. sold firearms at a big box store. It was a part time job after I retired. I learned that most of "our" salesmen hunted once a year, maybe and knew less than your average boy scout. I heard " Colt is going out of business". "Colt is having quality control problems, etc." I have never had a problem with Colt; your/others experience may vary.

I have had real QC problems with Springfield Inc. and absolutely would not ever buy a Kimber. Your/ others may love your Kimbers,they are the most popular. The salesman's job is to sell you something; usually what he has in stock.

As for sights I can't see like I used to. My most visible sights have been those that are white. The white bead on the Colt XSE, Govt. and Cmdr. and the Mk III Browning HP,work for me. How do I know? I can hit what I aim at including cloverleaf groups. When I qualified with my SIG 226 with night sights the range guy complimented me, 2 years in a row.

I like Colt's forged parts. See my post "What makes a Colt". My partner loves his high line Springfield Inc. Me, not so much, I'm stuck with fixing them. He has sent two Springfield's back due to frame and slide problems.

Before any ones feelings get hurt I'd like to say that I'm no expert,nor do I play one on the internet. So your experience may be different than mine,or YMMV. Good Luck on your retirement,regards, Mike

PS: I forgot to mention I have no experience with the S&W, Ruger,or new Remington, but did play with a SIG 1911,"factory reconditioned". It had the sweetest trigger I ever used.It also had an exposed extractor,which was new to me,in a 1911
gw Posted - February 04 2016 : 4:05:37 PM
you didn't ask about them, but I'd definitely take a look at a SW1911, their version of the external extractor works
FORT CHAFFEE Posted - February 04 2016 : 3:23:10 PM
Uncle Mike thanks for the question. I'm old school when it comes to 1911's. Back in the day you had Colt and then brand X. If i were to pick one it would be the Colt. My problem is that Colt has had problems in the past few years and i don't know if they are still "the" 1911. At the 2016 shot show they had some new models that look good on You Tube. I was able to look at one the Competitor at a gun shop in my town. It looks well made but the sights are a question. I may need to swap them for something i can see better. The light weight commander is also back this year for about the same money. I think the Competitor may be what i'm looking for i'm just not sure. I want to keep a open mind to new 1911's. I may be a old dog but, you know how that goes. Thanks...........
Badge Posted - February 04 2016 : 11:41:42 AM
My first Ruger went back and was destroyed. My second Commander works fine. My Colt works fine out of the box.

StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.23seconds. Snitz Forums 2000