Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
 All Forums
 Shooting
 The 1911
 Ruger SR1911 - break in

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I] Cheeky [:x)]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)] Speechless [:u]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)] Spin [88]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)] Loud [()]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?] Wink2 [;)]
Bugout [8~o] Kiss [xox] Love [xo] Grow [%] Cry [:-[)]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Jim Higginbotham Posted - August 18 2015 : 12:19:56 PM
Back when these first came out I bought a couple and just put them away in the safe. Never even fired them as several of our regular crowd had started using the Rugers and I figured that would tell me what I needed.

The only negative thing I noticed was that a surprising number had the front sights break off. Ruger gladly and expeditiously sent replacement sights (of a slightly different design) and I replaced each as they broke.

Otherwise the guns seemed to run great.

Well, the wife and I are planning a trip and since I am traveling through some "enemy territory" I would rather not risk my usual Colt and S&W 1911s so I decided the Ruger 1911 might be a good primary.

As a precaution I just went ahead and replaced the front sight with the newer version then I set off to the range to check the zero and shoot the gun a couple hundred times just to be sure.

Federal American Eagle ball hit even with the top of the front sight at 25 yards and Both Winchester Ranger 230 +P and Federal HST 230 +P hit about 1.5" high and is almost dead on at 50 yards.

No stoppages with either round.

I'm replacing my S&W Scandium Commander with an old gun I cobbled up that is the size of a CCO. Had it for a long time and it works fine.

Jim
24   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
LittleBill Posted - February 01 2017 : 08:34:20 AM
quote:
Originally posted by jle3030

quote:
Originally posted by Badge

Thanks Uncle Mike,.. LittleBill,... I'm going to look at the Tanker,.... Aratoonian is nice but a tad too pricey for me. I've had great luck with the " Jackass ", holsters but they are not for everyone, that's for sure. The hunt continues,.....

FWIW I checked out Aratoonians's website yesterday. He only offers his 1911 shoulder holster with the retention strap set for hammer down carry. His reasoning is that he has no way of knowing the competence level of the end user. He doesn't want one of his rigs to contribute to a tragic error resulting from mishandling a cocked and locked gun. I assume that would also hold for the BHP.

Jeff

Bummer!
jle3030 Posted - February 01 2017 : 08:00:52 AM
quote:

Thanks Uncle Mike,.. LittleBill,... I'm going to look at the Tanker,.... Aratoonian is nice but a tad too pricey for me. I've had great luck with the " Jackass ", holsters but they are not for everyone, that's for sure. The hunt continues,.....

FWIW I checked out Aratoonians's website yesterday. He only offers his 1911 shoulder holster with the retention strap set for hammer down carry. His reasoning is that he has no way of knowing the competence level of the end user. He doesn't want one of his rigs to contribute to a tragic error resulting from mishandling a cocked and locked gun. I assume that would also hold for the BHP.

Jeff
bandaidman Posted - February 01 2017 : 06:24:24 AM
Someone here told me to look at Captain itch his holsters are like the "jackass" style but a bit different and about 20.00 cheaper. you can google captain itch and look him up he is a biker that got into making holsters. They appear well made, with good reviews. Only reason for me saying anything is with my back as bad as it is I can carry in my X15 Bianchi ether my security six or my Hi power. But I want something for XD'9 or 45's. Just waiting to see how much taxes I'm going to have to pay on my farm rent and see about getting some things.
Terry
Badge Posted - January 31 2017 : 11:28:44 PM
LittleBill Posted - January 30 2017 : 4:34:22 PM
Andy Arratoonian at Horseshoe Leather in England makes shoulder holsters in various configurations. I've never tried one, but his other models that I have tried are top notch.

Uncle Mike Posted - January 30 2017 : 3:02:39 PM
Hi Badge, I was around in Chicago when the Galco Company was called Jackass. He was a great guy with two sweet Rottweilers. I still have an original around here somewhere. I never found them comfortable. The pistol holster was horizontal and on the other side were two magazines with a strap to hold a pair of handcuffs. The idea was to balance out the load. It was a good idea but it didn't work for me. The only shoulder holster that worked for me was/is the old GI M3 or M7 sometimes referred to as the "Tanker". Check out Galco they make a model with wider straps. Check out Amazon for the UTG or Condor shoulder holsters with a padded harness. Never used one but looks like plenty of shoulder padding, regards, Mike
Badge Posted - January 30 2017 : 2:38:03 PM
Jim Uncle Mike, GW, and anyone else who can offer some help,
On occasion I do carry a 1911. These times are generally when I travel make the three mile trek to Upstate NY with it's magazine capacity Tripe and N.J. with it's, " no hollow point ", hooey. I've found that a steel frame 1911 on my old frame is a bit of a drag so to speak. I am seeking opinions on good and yet reasonable priced Shoulder Holster that is both supportive of the 1911 and two reloads as well as comfortable for an old has been with a bad shoulder and very bad back.
I prefer something akin to the old Jackass Leather companies shoulder rigs which work very well for me but I have seen some types with very large should pads, if that is the correct terminology for them. They appear to aid in supporting the weapon but I am not certain on that. Nylon is fine by me but any and all suggestions would be very much appreciated.
LfiGrad Posted - January 30 2017 : 2:14:01 PM
quote:

Shot it today,...... not thrilled. Used Federal aluminum cased and Winchester WB brass and out of 100 rounds in 8 magazines had at least 18 or 20, fails to go fully in to battery and two " almost " stovepipes. I was bummed. Called Ruger and explained and they are sending a prepaid Fed Ex sticker and back it goes. I cannot win with 1911's.

I have owned 5 1911's. All Colt. The only one close to reliable would malfunction aprox once every 1000 rounds of hardball, I carried that particular one for ten years because I didn't know any better. It did save my life one night in a Boston subway, so I guese it served its purpose.
Badge Posted - September 21 2015 : 11:35:14 PM
I put another 120 rounds through the weapon today. It functioned very well except with Federal 230 grain Aluminum cased ammunition. I had three incidents of the slide not coming into full battery. When I used brass cased Winchester or Remington Golden Sabre it was flawless. We'll see.
Steve in Michigan Posted - September 20 2015 : 1:51:18 PM
Didn't Ruger have a difficult time manufacturing slides when they first started with the SR1911? I thought I heard that somewhere. I also wonder how difficult it was for them to manufacture the integral spring/plunger housing for the safety and slide release.
Chris Christian Posted - September 20 2015 : 11:13:37 AM
Any gun maker can turn out a dud. All of them will do it at one time or another. The telling point is what lengths they go to in order to quickly fix it and get it back to the customer.

Ruger, IMHO, is head & shoulders above the others in this respect.

Jim Higginbotham Posted - September 20 2015 : 10:09:54 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Richard B

Maybe they just saved time by just replacing all those parts at once, instead of a part by part debug/testing procedure?

That is entirely possible - when you are the factory all those parts are probably less costly than the labor.

Jim
Badge Posted - September 20 2015 : 12:13:14 AM
GW, Jim,
I fired the weapon today,..... very briefly. 8 very fast rounds of factory ball and it fed flawlessly. I had asked that before they ship the weapon back to me to fire 50 rounds through said weapon, at my expense if need be, and they did at no charge and the Tech wrote that it fed flawlessly. I will wring it out properly Monday with a variety of ammunition makes and types so I'm convinced that there are no issues.
GW, when the Customer Service Rep was reading me the " things fixed ", over the phone you could almost cut the " Holy Crap ", sound in his voice. Your right, it's basically a new weapon other than the Frame. I just HAVE to know it runs flawlessly if I am going to use it for defending me or family.
Jim, I know you are way more well versed in 1911's than I and your line experience dwarfs mine as well but I am trying to get the handle on this 1911 thing. All of my others were Government Models save for one Officers which was a nightmare weapon too. I do like the Ruger and I am hoping that it will do just fine with my old duty load, the 230 grain Golden Sabre as it has a relatively ball like Ogive. I was also pleased to see that Ruger ok's Steel cased as well as Plus P ammunition. Thanks for all of the useful input and help fellas.
Richard B Posted - September 19 2015 : 10:33:21 AM
Maybe they just saved time by just replacing all those parts at once, instead of a part by part debug/testing procedure?
Jim Higginbotham Posted - September 19 2015 : 10:13:25 AM
quote:

Got the Ruger back today. Items replaced are as follows,... Barrel Link, Disconnector, Extractor, Hammer Assembly, Sear, Slide Assembly, AND Slide Stop. Disgraceful as far as I'm concerned. They did fire 50 rounds of Black Hills Ball ammo through it without a malfunction. We'll see.

Sort of odd...for the problem you mentioned the first thing I would have looked at was the barrel (and the extractor and the fit of the barrel bushing).

Keep us posted.

Everybody, including those that make "perfection" turn out a lemon every now and then - while I've seen plenty of lemons I also see plenty of guns fired every year. Fortunately the ratio of good ones to bad ones is pretty high with all of the "name" makers.

Jim

gw Posted - September 19 2015 : 09:40:46 AM
badge

They more or less replaced the gun except for the barrel, bushing, and serial numbered frame!
Nanuk Posted - September 19 2015 : 12:23:55 AM
Thats too bad Badge. I have a Ruger LW Commander and it eats anything I have fed it. I broke it in shooting 300 rounds of LSWC's at a local IDPA match.
Badge Posted - September 18 2015 : 1:33:34 PM
Got the Ruger back today. Items replaced are as follows,... Barrel Link, Disconnector, Extractor, Hammer Assembly, Sear, Slide Assembly, AND Slide Stop. Disgraceful as far as I'm concerned. They did fire 50 rounds of Black Hills Ball ammo through it without a malfunction. We'll see.
Badge Posted - August 31 2015 : 11:11:01 PM
OUCH. LOL Uncle Mike. Regards Friend.
Uncle Mike Posted - August 31 2015 : 3:27:13 PM
quote:

Shot it today,...... not thrilled. Used Federal aluminum cased and Winchester WB brass and out of 100 rounds in 8 magazines had at least 18 or 20, fails to go fully in to battery and two " almost " stovepipes. I was bummed. Called Ruger and explained and they are sending a prepaid Fed Ex sticker and back it goes. I cannot win with 1911's.

Hi Mark, get a Colt before they stop making them,, regards, Mike
Badge Posted - August 31 2015 : 2:37:43 PM
Badge Posted - August 29 2015 : 10:05:06 AM
Jim,
Just traded into a new Ruger Commander. Really looking forward to using it and did note that Ruger Ok's " high velocity ", ammunition for the weapon. Thanks for your report.
Ace Posted - August 19 2015 : 11:57:14 AM
Have a safe trip. I'd expect a Ruger to run well. Ace
FORT CHAFFEE Posted - August 19 2015 : 10:22:45 AM
Jim, thanks for the report.

StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.36seconds. Snitz Forums 2000