Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
 All Forums
 Shooting
 Pistol Palace
 S&W SIGMA PISTOLS

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I] Cheeky [:x)]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)] Speechless [:u]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)] Spin [88]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)] Loud [()]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?] Wink2 [;)]
Bugout [8~o] Kiss [xox] Love [xo] Grow [%] Cry [:-[)]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
FLA2760 Posted - March 24 2007 : 01:13:54 AM
I am thinking of buying the S&W SW9VE 9mm or the .40 version. I am wondering if any of you have experience with them. I already have a Glock 27 that I CCW.I want a higher capacity pistol without spending $600+. This will be more of a house/car gun. The nine holds 17 rounds the .40 holds 15 rounds. Thank you.
BlackViking Posted - April 30 2007 : 07:59:50 AM
I have never fired a Sigma, but for my .02, it has the best feeling Grip
SHAPE of any pistol I've ever handled, it seemed quite 1911'ish in my hands!
Of course it had to have an ergonomic problem, though! That goofy raised
spot that's sort of a thumbrest/mag release button "guard" on the port-side
of the pistol! Trigger was horrible! Wish Glocks had this grip shape, though!

jpkout
Evan Posted - April 11 2007 : 08:50:36 AM
the new ones seem "ok" and they do work, but one keeps waiting for them to go off their med and get crazty
Jim Higginbotham Posted - April 10 2007 : 8:32:28 PM
I dont have too much experience with Sigmas (though I am a S&W certified armorer on them). We just dont see that many.

We have one deputy with a Sigma (.40 S&W). This last week at the range he had 3 misfires with Winchester ball ammo.

Not sure why, it passes the "pencil test" as well as any Glock we compared it with.

Jim H.
Chuck Posted - April 08 2007 : 10:09:30 AM
We have 320 folks carrying guns, at one time half my department was carry Sigma 9mms. Down the road in Kansas City MO they were carrying quite a few Sigma .40s.
The collective experience in each place is that the Sigma line is inconsistent in reliability and durability.

I know people who have Sigmas that work, two of my friends have been in two OISs each using Sigmas. That doesn't change the fact that the Sigma has proven in a large sample of experience to be a gun that one shouldn't count on. BTW, neither of those two guys are still carrying Sigmas.

The problems with the Sigma line vary from gun to gun. I've seen the same gun have light strikes, then failures to extract/eject, then the firing pin totally failing to release (long trigger pull), then broken firing pins (the last was epidemic on my department).
old_ironsights Posted - April 06 2007 : 1:23:57 PM
I own one of the older SW40F models and over the years it's been flawless.

IMHO, most of the "facts" circulating on discussion boards about Sigmas is just repeated negative gossip by posters that have no actual experience with the weapon.

Having conversed in person and my e-mail to 100's of actual owners and shooters of the Sigma, most have confirmed that their weapons perform well.

bharen Posted - March 30 2007 : 9:19:54 PM
I purchased a 9VE at a show last year at a great price. I was immediately impressed with the 'feel'; S&W did a wonderful job on the grip shape and it remains one of the most comfortable to hold pistols I've ever owned. It was also 100% reliable with all loads I put through it - mostly WWB and about 200 rounds of HP, mixed Remington 115 gr. and CorBon 115 gr +p. Yes, the trigger was yukky, but not as bad as most people think. The trigger would stack just a bit before letoff and learning how to control it was fairly easy.

So, for about $300 I got a reliable, accurate and easy to shoot pistol from a major manufacturer. I realize others have had differing luck with the Sigmas, but my experience was pretty good.

I speak of it in past tense. I traded it off to buy a Glock 17. Nothing against the Sigma, but I bought it as trading material and that's what I did with it.
Chuck Posted - March 29 2007 : 11:43:31 PM
We issued the original model (I forget the designator on that one) the compact and the E models, as a group none of them consistently worked.
khclark Posted - March 28 2007 : 12:22:02 AM
My understanding is that several changes were made to the Sigma around '95 as part of a settlement of a Glock lawsuit. These changes created serious reliability problems. Sigmas again had several engineering changes designed to improve reliability around '98-'00 resulting in the "enhanced" Sigmas. Most people seem to have good experiences with the enhanced Sigma's. They are touted frequently on the S&W forum (although, look at the source; there may be a bias). I had trouble with my two .40's, but my two 9's have been flawless in terms of reliability.

Is it possible your bad experiences were during the "dark years" of Sigmas in the mid-90's?
Chuck Posted - March 27 2007 : 11:13:36 PM
We issued the 9mms a few years ago, the Sigma was a near disaster for my department.
When I hear folks tell me that Sigmas are great I ask how many they have seen, normally the one they own. Having seen almost 200 of them on the range my opinion is a bit different.
Keeb Posted - March 27 2007 : 8:50:56 PM
One of my CCW students showed up with a brand new 40 Sigma. After five rounds, the pistol Ka-Boomed. Completely ruined it.

Keeb
Srigs Posted - March 26 2007 : 08:53:25 AM
I have and use a 40VE. I have put 3000+ trouble free rounds down range over the last 3 years. I shoot it often and use it primarily as a HD gun with a light on the front end. You can find older 15+1 mags for the 40 that work great.

For the money they are a good value and I trust it with my life. Note: people either love them or hate them but they work. Let us know what you decide.

Another good cheaper gun option is a Stoeger (Berreta)Cougar in 9 or 40 you can pick up new for @300 to 350. They are made with the same tooling that Berreta used and the fit and finish are very good.
khclark Posted - March 25 2007 : 4:23:57 PM
I've owned several Sigma's and shot a couple others with good and bad experiences. I've owned two SW40VE's. Both malfunctioned frequently even after visits back to the factory for repair. I got rid of both of them. I have shot other Sigma .40's that functioned very well, and I hear many good reports of .40 Sigma's on the S&W Forum. I've also owned two SW9VE's. They have both been completely reliable. The trigger pull on the "enhanced" Sigma's is heavy, but it does lighten up with use (or else your finger gets stronger). They are "combat accurate"; I've been able to get 5"-6" five-shot groups at 25 yards (i.e., not great, but definitely "Minute of Felon"). I find the ergonomics to be excellent, and the all-metal magazines are nice (they fall out when you press the button - every time).

Here in the People's Republic of Massachusetts, Glock 19's (the SW9VE's closest comparable) are pretty much unavailable. M&P pistols only recently became available here, and they have a special heavy trigger to meet the MA requirements. Bottom line: if I wanted a 9mm striker fired pistol and couldn't get a Glock 19 (which I can't), I'd probably go with the Sigma SW9VE. I would not recommend the SW40VE for any purpose except practicing clearing malfunctions. One thing is for sure, you can't beat the price.
JohnS Posted - March 24 2007 : 10:50:50 AM
quote:
Originally posted by mojo

Buy a Glock, XD, or M&P if you want a striker fired pistol that you can bet your life on.

Any of these is available for around $500. Spend the extra, your life is worth it.
mojo Posted - March 24 2007 : 09:28:57 AM
Smith & Wesson makes some great pistols - - - the Sigma ain't one of them. Buy a Glock, XD, or M&P if you want a striker fired pistol that you can bet your life on.
Evan Posted - March 24 2007 : 06:18:30 AM
no-only you can decide what you're worth-I'm very expensive

StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.12seconds. Snitz Forums 2000