Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
 All Forums
 Shooting
 Wheelgun Chronicles
 NYPD bans revolvers

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I] Cheeky [:x)]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)] Speechless [:u]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)] Spin [88]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)] Loud [()]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?] Wink2 [;)]
Bugout [8~o] Kiss [xox] Love [xo] Grow [%] Cry [:-[)]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
exfed2002 Posted - November 22 2017 : 8:15:20 PM
As of 8/31/2018, NYPD will no longer authorize revolvers as service weapons.

These revolvers may continue to be used as off duty weapons provided the MOS does not have an already authorized off duty revolver or semi-auto.

The weapons to be authorized for service use will be:
Glock 17 and 19 Generation 4, and,
SIG 226 DAO.

The transition will start on 1/1/2018.
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Jim Higginbotham Posted - November 29 2017 : 07:52:29 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Evan

What about 2nd guns? I've always considered snubs to be the ideal 2nd gun.

During the winter months my second gun and my 3rd are revolvers. That has more to do with the fact that I spend more time hunting during these months and I just don't change the 2nd gun if I'm going to town (I do if I go to the "big city" but fortunately I only have had to do that once this year).

When I'm not going to the field my 2nd gun is a 3.75" S&W 1917 loaded with .45 Super (.45 +P in the moon clips for a reload or some .45 Auto Rim handloads in a belt slide).

When I am going to the field the 2nd gun is a 5-screw 1955 target with a 5" barrel - might be my favorite handgun, I shot a group that went all into a ragged hole at 25 yards with it last month! Might have been luck though... Even the blind hog roots up an acorn every now and then

Jim H.
LittleBill Posted - November 26 2017 : 5:03:38 PM
I heard somewhere about a young man who joined his local police force, never had a gun in his hands in his life. But his first day at the range, he amazed everyone with the accuracy of his shooting. Turns out he’d had a lot of ‘trigger time’ on one of those shooting-type video games.

That being said, it’s hard to envision the ‘millenials’ as cops.
WR Moore Posted - November 26 2017 : 4:39:57 PM
there can be an advantage to that. No bad habits or preconceptions to overcome. On the other hand, they have to start from scratch to become highly observant, suspicious and continually looking for cover/threats.
Ten Driver Posted - November 26 2017 : 3:39:51 PM
quote:
Originally posted by exfed2002

(Of course, there were plenty of MOS who had things way different than Model 10's under their jackets.......)

I'm curious if that practice has changed these days. It seems the political and legal environment is quite different for today's generation of police, and the officers themselves are quite different as well. Excepting any former military, I suspect that most NYPD coppers have never shot a gun prior to the academy.

Mike
exfed2002 Posted - November 23 2017 : 2:44:21 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Ten Driver

G

There was a time when all MOS were taught that if you saw a guy with a gun other than a 2" or 4" blue steel revolver, he was a bad guy.

I know. My late ex (1994 NYPD suicide with a Glock) made me stop carrying my stainless revolvers in the early 80's because there were too many guys who would kill you if it wasn't a Model 10.

(Of course, there were plenty of MOS who had things way different than Model 10's under their jackets.......)
exfed2002 Posted - November 23 2017 : 2:40:23 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Evan

Like most other PD's, there have always been "second" guns.......
Evan Posted - November 23 2017 : 2:04:06 PM
JWM Posted - November 23 2017 : 1:02:59 PM
Turned in my issued P2000 sixteen months ago when I retired after a 37 year career. Nice reliable pistol, but I don't miss it. My personal collection consists of just one semi-auto (G-17), and six revolvers. Most days I just grab a snubby heading out the door.
LittleBill Posted - November 23 2017 : 12:47:43 PM
Very similar to the way Obama won over the Muslims with his world apology tour....

Never mind ‘reality’, the libs know they’re right....
Chris Christian Posted - November 23 2017 : 12:38:13 PM
Ah, yes! Put the libs in charge of a police dept and crime will magically cease to exist. No need to shoot the BGs with anything that will hurt them. Just Love & Understand them and they will swiftly become "model citizens"
Ten Driver Posted - November 23 2017 : 12:11:48 PM
. . . but NYPD guns no longer do!

Ha!
Ten Driver Posted - November 23 2017 : 12:09:00 PM
Great stuff, thanks for the extra info!

I remember Transit switching first, and being required to use ball. I envisioned a shooting where one round was fired, but there were 32 entry and exit points as the bullet zinged around inside the metal tube!

They (all of NYPD--Housing and Patrol included) stayed with FMJ much longer than I thought they would. It was strange to start with it at all, but to hold onto it as long as they did was just bizarre.

Another odd footnote in NYPD firearms history was the brief flirtation with 10 round mags. The Commissioner then was a doofus.

There was a time when all MOS were taught that if you saw a guy with a gun other than a 2" or 4" blue steel revolver, he was a bad guy. That changed over time with stainless and autos, but I wonder sometimes if the new guys are being habituated to thinking that if they don't see a Glock or a Sig, it's a bad guy? The world turns . . .
exfed2002 Posted - November 23 2017 : 05:25:38 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Ten Driver

It would be interesting to know how many MOS are still carrying them as primaries at this late date.

The estimate is somewhere around 100.

Transit transitioned to autos before Streets and Housing did, but ISTR it was about 1993 or so. There are not that many folks around from that period, and of those not that many who stuck with revolvers.

NYPD MOS get a menu of weapons from which they can select, in this case there are now three. The weapons are provided by the (AFAIR) Police Foundation at no cost, and they get to pick them up and dry fire them before they select one as a service weapon.

There is a separate roster for MOS purchased off duty weapons.

Most of the retired guys treasure their old four inch bull barrel Model 10's.
Ten Driver Posted - November 23 2017 : 03:46:23 AM
Foul!

I'm actually surprised they've lasted this long. It would be interesting to know how many MOS are still carrying them as primaries at this late date.

Thanks for the heads up! This could be a neat story to explore!

Mike
Ace Posted - November 22 2017 : 9:30:43 PM
Buncha heathens! Ace

StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.11seconds. Snitz Forums 2000