Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
 All Forums
 Shooting
 Pistol Palace
 M&P Mag Issues?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I] Cheeky [:x)]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)] Speechless [:u]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)] Spin [88]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)] Loud [()]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?] Wink2 [;)]
Bugout [8~o] Kiss [xox] Love [xo] Grow [%] Cry [:-[)]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Ten Driver Posted - August 13 2017 : 1:47:28 PM
Hello,

While I own an early model M&P9, it's a low mileage gun and I'm not really an "M&P Guy." So, I was surprised to learn of an issue that's apparently plaguing the platform from a friend of mine who shoots M&Ps extensively. I thought I'd solicit your experiences here.

Apparently, S&W redesigned the follower in their 9 and 40 mags a few years back, and the area where the follower engages the slide stop is more rounded and does not allow much purchase. As a result, the tab or finger of the slide stop slips off the follower, and no longer puts any downward pressure on the follower and magazine spring when at slide lock. Even worse, in some cases the tab or finger of the slide stop is putting some sideways pressure on the follower when at slide lock.

The end result is that magazines are not dropping free when the mag release is pushed. There is no longer an assist from the magazine spring to push them out, and there can sometimes be additional drag from the finger of the slide stop on the side of the follower. It seems that mags are dropping a bit and getting hung up.

A complicating factor seems to be that magazine body dimensions may have increased a bit when production was ramped up in the post-Sandy Hook period. The theory is that a new machine or facility was building products to a slightly different spec?

Regardless, the old magazines (like those I have) seem to be trouble-free and drop cleanly, but those of more recent vintage with the new follower (and possibly the new, larger body?) are causing problems and getting hung up. This seems to have cropped up circa 2013 or so.

I have seemn pictures and video of a third follower design produced by S&W (I believe this is the current version) that has a distinct flat for the finger of the slide stop to rest upon, but reports seem to indicate that while it offers an improvement, it doesn't fix the issue entirely.

So, for you M&P Guys out there, have you encountered these problems? Do I have a correct understanding of the issue? Has anyone miked an old and a new mag body to see if outer diameter is the same? Have you found a satisfactory solution to the problem?

Thanks for any info you can provide to clarify this for me. Honestly, I was shocked that I hadn't heard about this before, but there seems to be plenty of folks (based on videos and forums) who are struggling with this.

V/R

Mike
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Ten Driver Posted - August 20 2017 : 11:24:16 AM
Hello,

Bill, thanks for the info. I've had that same thing happen with just about all brands, although some guns are more prone to it than others. Interestingly, S&W altered the slide lock on the M&P2.0 to include a detent that is designed to prevent this from happening.

Mike
gauchobill Posted - August 20 2017 : 08:35:11 AM
I have a new M&P in .40 cal, from S&W's Performance Center, purchased about a month ago. I have been to the range twice with it and have fired a total of about 275 rounds of assorted brands, weights and point configurations, with no hiccups. The ported barrel reduces recoil and muzzle jump. The only thing unusual I have noticed about magazines is that when you drop an empty magazine and load a full one, slamming the full one in with the free hand, most often the slide releases when the new magazine is slammed in, and the gun is ready to shoot. I don't know if that is part of the design or not, but I like not having to engage the slide release.

The trigger treatment by the Performance Center yields a very nice trigger touch that I like very much. Accuracy is also very good.
Ten Driver Posted - August 19 2017 : 02:39:08 AM
WILCO, partner.

I've determined that the new follower design I mentioned is the current standard, so we're primarily focused on magazines / followers of circa 2013 - 2016 vintage. older magazines (like mine) predate the problem, and current issue magazines seem to have mostly fixed the issue.

But for those with the interim design, it sounds like problems are relatively common, and S&W has been erratic in their response--sometimes admitting there is a problem, other times feigning ignorance, according to reports.

There are several videos which demonstrate a modification to the problematic followers that seems to work, for those inclined to alter theirs.

Mike
enidpd804 Posted - August 19 2017 : 12:11:38 AM
Brother Mike,

I only have one M&P 9mm. It was purchased ~'14. I have about 15 magazines bought over the years and haven't experienced any issues, but that does not a study make. Please keep us informed.
heavyweight Posted - August 14 2017 : 12:25:37 PM
Carried a full size M&P 9 for about 5 years ('09-'14) and have been carrying a full size M&P 40 since '14. I shot the 9mm extensively but not so much for the .40. Never had any issues with either. I'm planning on acquiring the 2.0 mod. Better trigger and more aggressive texturing.

StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.14seconds. Snitz Forums 2000